Ford F250SD vs Chevy 3500HD

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    I could show the same pictures from any manufacturer and model. Lol

Ive used all the new trucks. Towed with all of them. The Dodge is the weakest and least reliable of the new trucks. With the emissions removed and headstuds with a tow tune, the Dodge couldn't keep the head down. But the duramax with a 240hp tune could pull all day with no problems.

But stock for stock, the cummins is last right now.

Sent from etch a sketch.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Ive used all the new trucks. Towed with all of them. The Dodge is the weakest and least reliable of the new trucks. With the emissions removed and headstuds with a tow tune, the Dodge couldn't keep the head down. But the duramax with a 240hp tune could pull all day with no problems.

But stock for stock, the cummins is last right now.

Sent from etch a sketch.

Your right.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    7.3 Excursion with no major problems, just basic water pump, under carriage work and recently recharge of AC.
    And batteries, seems like every 2 years.
    Not bad for 2000 model with 165,000 miles - in my opinion.

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    65k? That's a loaded Denali 4x4 with ac seats... Or a king ranch f350.

Sent from etch a sketch.
    Well, if you are spending 50k, might as well go all out and get the top of the line while gettting! The denali hd would be top of the list for me, I dodnt like the king ranch seats or trust its engine.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Just get any year F250 and throw in a cummins/allison combo and you will have a truck that fulfills everyones fantasy.
    If someone could deliver that truck, they would outsell anything on the market. Ford body (by far the most durable and well built body), cummins backed by allison. You can get a allison behind a powerstroke in school buses, why not trucks?

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Just curious about other diesel owners.
    Here's what we are currently getting.
    2000 Ford Excursion 7.3l. 4X4
    In town 19 mpg average.
    Highway 27 mpg average - 75 mph on cruise.
    Recently bought another trailer to tow car - empty towing - 25 mpg hauling ass 85+++.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have an 09 GMC 2500 6.6 diesel 4X4 farm truck with 70,000 on it and the life of the truck has averaged 14.5 mpg.
    My previous was a 02 6.0 gas and I was averaging 9 mpg when I got rid of it.

Last edited:

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    Having over 400 each of the Ford, Dodge and GMC/Chevrolet diesel HD pickups in our fleet, we've drawn some conclusions over the last 15 years....

The Ford 7.3 was the most trouble free, longest lasting engines we've ever encountered in this class and lament it's passing. The Ford 6.0 were the most problematic and curse the day it was introduced. Ford's 6.7 and GMC's 6.6 are efficient though we've had some minor problems with intake and exhaust component failures on both (less than 5% per 100k miles). The Cummins 6.7 edges out both, but by a nearly insignificant margin on component failures. In summation, the current crop of HD diesel trucks in our fleet show no distinct advantage of one over the other when it comes to the core engines' reliability.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Having over 400 each of the Ford, Dodge and GMC/Chevrolet diesel HD pickups in our fleet, we've drawn some conclusions over the last 15 years....

The Ford 7.3 was the most trouble free, longest lasting engines we've ever encountered in this class and lament it's passing. The Ford 6.0 were the most problematic and curse the day it was introduced. Ford's 6.7 and GMC's 6.6 are efficient though we've had some minor problems with intake and exhaust component failures on both (less than 5% per 100k miles). The Cummins 6.7 edges out both, but by a nearly insignificant margin on component failures. In summation, the current crop of HD diesel trucks in our fleet show no distinct advantage of one over the other when it comes to the core engines' reliability.

Lets see what we have here.

Even keeled with no fanboyism.
    Data based on a decent sample size.
    Logical and straightforward.

I predict this will be ignored and the Ford, Chevy, Dodge fanboys will continue to justify their "investments" without regard to the equality of modern diesels.

Still, 50-65k for a truck is insane unless you're making money with it.

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    Lets see what we have here.

Even keeled with no fanboyism.
    Data based on a decent sample size.
    Logical and straightforward.

I predict this will be ignored and the Ford, Chevy, Dodge fanboys will continue to justify their "investments" without regard to the equality of modern diesels.

Still, 50-65k for a truck is insane unless you're making money with it.

Tundra is better.... And pulls just as much..

Just kidding

Sent from etch a sketch.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    In town 19 mpg average.
    Recently bought another trailer to tow car - empty towing - 25 mpg hauling ass 85+++.

Really? How? You got a flux capicitor hidden in there somewhere to boost the mileage? I know quite a few people with excursions and f250s with 7.3 and never even heard of calimed mileage this good. Mine gets 18 unloaded and 10-13 towing depending on what and where.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    In town 19 mpg average.

I have a 2000 f250 7.3l 6 speed 4x4 with 200k on it, mine gets about 14mpg in town, but about 23 on the highway... I love the 7.3 and plan to drive it till it literally falls apart.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    Tundra is better.... And pulls just as much..

Just kidding

Sent from etch a sketch.

We are retiring a small batch of less than fifty 2010-11 Tundras before their scheduled rotation due to higher than acceptable suspension component failures. Surprising, in the 150 class (half ton), the equally small group of Nissan Titans we have are on par with the Fords, Dodges and GMCs in maintenance costs and number of issues per 100k/miles.

--as rrusso suspects, and as we've found true, particular personal tastes appear to be the deciding factor when determining which is best, regardless of what the data reveals. Many of our clients don't care as long as the vehicle is spec'd correctly. But there is a faction of our customer base that specify a particular brand for no quantifiable reason.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Yup I'm right.
    Still running 16" tires.
    Still running Hypertech programmer.
    I have a Banks programmer, and it's great if you want to smoke the tires and run - currently not installed!

I'm wanting to install bigger exhaust - 4" or better.

What do you think edman87k5?

Really? How? You got a flux capicitor hidden in there somewhere to boost the mileage? I know quite a few people with excursions and f250s with 7.3 and never even heard of calimed mileage this good. Mine gets 18 unloaded and 10-13 towing depending on what and where.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Didnt see a mention of the programmer before. Mine is bone stock with a bigger air filter. No programmer and still running the stock exhaust. Been saying I was going to a better exhaust and mild programmer but havnt done it yet.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Robbie, is that info coming from your dash or did you hand calculate it? I had a 2000 Superduty, 7.3 auto, 2WD CrewCab long bed with a Superchips tuner and the best I got on the highway was around 20. Never heard of anyone with those kinds of numbers and I'm a big fan of the 7.3 so I'm not trying to knock your ride. Those vintage computers were way off when compared to a hand calculated number. The newer trucks are much closer, usually no more than .5 mpg difference between the two methods. Got rid of mine in March and got a new F150 as I didn't haul heavy stuff like I once did....great truck and I gotta admit, I do miss it sometimes.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    I go by mileage since last fill up ect.

The computer shows around the same numbers.

Robbie, is that info coming from your dash or did you hand calculate it? I had a 2000 Superduty, 7.3 auto, 2WD CrewCab long bed with a Superchips tuner and the best I got on the highway was around 20. Never heard of anyone with those kinds of numbers and I'm a big fan of the 7.3 so I'm not trying to knock your ride. Those vintage computers were way off when compared to a hand calculated number. The newer trucks are much closer, usually no more than .5 mpg difference between the two methods. Got rid of mine in March and got a new F150 as I didn't haul heavy stuff like I once did....great truck and I gotta admit, I do miss it sometimes.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    In town 19 mpg average.

Believe that when I see that.

Top Bottom