Forearm possession at the Bonnet Carre Spillway?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Firearm possession at Bonnet Carre Spilleay?

I was at the Bonnet Carre Spillway today. It's a very popular place to ride dirt bikes and ATV's. The property is maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers. There's a "No Firearms" sign posted at the entrance. Does anyone know if this is Federal Property or State property? If its State Property doesn't that mean that they cannot ban firearms?

I know that hunting is permitted on some parts of the Spillway, just not around the Dirtbike/ATV areas.

Last edited:

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    What bikes yall have I've got a atv and dirtbike. I just learned it's open again a few days ago for riding. Once my atv is done(doing a frame up build), id love to meet up with some people to hit some trails. Maybe we should start another thread for that.

On topic, i usually leave my gun at home. Id like to legally have it there though.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    ef9564c6af13a0903f016e12fa145621_zpsb867219f.jpg

2003 XR400. :cool:

JDawg560

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2013
    Montz, LA
    The Spillway is owned by the State of Louisiana, who leases it to the Federal Govt. for flood control. US Park Rangers are the enforcement arm of the Corp of Engineers. THe rangers cite violators through their Federal authority and when appropiate summon the Sheriff's Office for violations of State statutes.

Sorry, don's have an answer for your question about their ability to ban possession of firearms.

Ronson2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Slidell,La
    I learned to shoot there with my dad who was a WW 2 veteran. I am sure if he were still alive today he would not even recognize the United States he fought for.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I learned to shoot there with my dad who was a WW 2 veteran. I am sure if he were still alive today he would not even recognize the United States he fought for.

Well said. I miss the days of going to the spillway and just having fun shooting and mud riding.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't speak to the Bonnet Carre', but the Morganza spillway land is privately owned by individuals. The Corps has flood rights for which they paid many years ago. The owners constantly have tresspass problems by city folks who think the spillway is federal land. GW

Tweek

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    madisonville, louisiana
    So the four wheeler trails are open now too? I ride tower trax a couple time a month, wouldnt recommend bringing a sport bike its more of a 4x4 place. Lots of places that you can lose even a big bike in.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    I was planning on heading out to Towertrax today. On their trail map they note about 6 miles of dirtbike only trails. I was hoping that these would be pretty dry. It's a little cold to be puddle hopping today. In fact I hate water/mud.

Top Bottom