Former Inmate Turned Deputy Pled Guilty to Weapons Charge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    My local weekly paper, Banner-Democrat, doesn't have a web presence, and this has kept me from posting interesting stories and articles over the years, but this headline was enough for me to post a brief version of the article. (The full article was lengthy, wordy, with poor sentence structure and many grammatical errors.)

You can't make this stuff up!

John Paul Culpepper was originally sent to East Carroll Parish as an inmate from the Louisiana Department of Corrections following a conviction in the 26th Judicial Court after he pled guilty to Attempted Possession of Methamphetamine in February 2000 and Attempted Manufacture of Methamphetamine in October 2000. While serving time at East Carroll Detention Center (ECDC) he became a trustee. Upon his release he almost immediately was hired as a deputy by Sheriff Mark Shumate. In early 2012 a new sheriff took office and Culpepper did not remain employed by the SO.

In November 2012 deputies were called to Our Place restaurant, owned by Culpepper and his fiancee, on a domestic disturbance call. Culpepper pulled a gun during the disturbance, waving it around and pointing it at his fiancee and her 2 teenage children. When authorities arrived they found his fiancee covered in blood.

Culpepper was arrested and later a search was performed of his home and business. The search turned up six more weapons, a sheriff's department radio, bullet proof vest, keys to the front door of the ECDC, packages containing crack cocaine, and marijuana.

Culpepper plead guilty in Federal Court to one count of possession of a firearm (S&W M&P 15) by a convicted felon and federal authorities agreed not to take him before a grand jury on the other charges.

On that same note the former sheriff Mark Shumate pled guilty earlier this year to knowing providing a firearm to a convicted felon, for taking a convicted felon hunting. I think this was Culpepper, but can't verify that.

http://www.fbi.gov/neworleans/press...lty-to-aiding-a-felon-in-possissing-a-firearm
    http://www.fbi.gov/neworleans/press...sh-sheriff-sentenced-to-three-years-probation

He is not the first East Carroll Sheriff to be convicted.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Say what you want but up into the late 60's early seventies trustees at state prisons were issued rifles and were prison guards . They often got pardons for shooting escaping inmates

Top Bottom