Former Louisiana Shooter is Competing at The Rio Olympic Games

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DH Vidrine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Former LSA and Palo Alto R&PC Rifle Shooter is Competing at The Rio Olympic Games

David Higgins competed at the Palo Alto R&PC and the Louisiana High Power Club at Gonzales while he and his family were Louisiana residents. David was sponsored by our Louisiana Shooting Association’s junior program and became Louisiana’s first junior shooter to earn the coveted Distinguished Rifleman’s Badge.

David will be representing the US Olympic Team in the Men’s 50m Prone shooting event. This event’s qualification and final is scheduled Friday, August 12.

Date of Birth: 6/27/94
    Hometown: San Clemente, California
    Events: Men’s 10m Air Rifle, Men’s 50m Rifle Three Position, Men's 50m Prone Rifle

Personal: As a youngster, Higgins was not one to shy away from competitive sports. However, early on, Higgins knew he wanted to pursue competitive rifle. “I was 13 when I first began shooting Rifle competitively, and I immediately knew that I wanted to pursue Rifle as my primary sport,” said Higgins.
    Higgins felt lucky to have a family that supported his drive to become the best, as his plan included constant training and shooting, even if it meant turning his family’s home into a practice range or traveling long distances for matches.
    “I began to train nearly every day, which sometimes meant shooting my Air Rifle 10 meters from the living room, through the kitchen and down the hallway into a pellet trap,” said Higgins. “Every Saturday morning, before I could drive, my parents would wake up around 4:30 to take me to matches that were over 100 miles away. As I got older, I was able to use my parents’ cars and drive the hundreds of miles a week in order to train and compete.”
    Higgins recently graduated from the Air Force Academy and enjoys rock climbing, sailing and surfing in his free time. He now moves on to the next phase of his military career, having cross-comissioned into the Marine Corps upon graduation to become an infantry officer.

An Air Force Academy Cadet's Drive to Become a Top Marksman and Officer (USA Shooting News September 2014)
    David Higgins: The Wild Card (USA Shooting News May 2016)

Competition Highlights
    • 2016 Olympic Team nominee (Prone)
    • 2014 Championship of the Americas - Fifth Place (Prone)
    • 2014 National Junior Olympic Shooting Championships - Bronze Medalist (3 Position)
    • 2014 Spring Selection Match - Bronze Medalist (Prone), earned spot on World Championship Team
    • 2013 USA Shooting National Championships - Silver Medalist (Junior Prone)
    • 2013 National Junior Olympic Shooting Championships - Silver Medalist (Prone)

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Congratulations to him! Quite a list of achievements. You guys really do grow em straight and strong at Palo Alto. There have been many world class shooters that started in that cane field it seems.

DH Vidrine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Yes, we are all rooting for David Higgins. 50m prone is one of the most competitive event in shooting sports. David is well on his way to earning his Distinguished International Shooting Badge.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Rooting for the entire team of USA Shooting.

The upside.
    Ginny Thrasher basically came out of nowhere and won gold in women's air rifle. Beat the powerhouse and returning medalist from China. This is on par with the US beating Russia in hockey several years ago. Saw her interview on NBC and she handled it like a pro. For a first timer on television she either was coached well or has nerves of steel.

Corey Cogdell returned to win bronze in women's trap. She has this down and it pretty much was a question of what medal she was going to get.

The downside.
    10m air pistol was a bust for the men and women. Neither made it past the qualifying round. We have always been weak in these events.

Men's 10m air rifle was a bust also. This one kinda surprised me. With a strong UCAA competition circuit we should have done better. Frequently though after the student graduates they give up the sport.

Men's trap. With all of the trap shooters in the US why didn't we even field a single shooter? Granted I know that bunker trap is way different from US trap but a flying bird is a flying bird. We must do better.

Politics. Pissed me off that the media was grilling USA Shooting on the criminal shootings here in the US. Like nobody is grilling the swimmers on pool drownings but why are the shooters being asked to comment on criminal actions. However USA Shooting members acted professional and put the 2A in a positive light. Well done ladies and gentlemen.

More as the week progresses.

Top Bottom