Fracking Risk?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I said it was safe a month ago and still believe it is. My job and our society is dependent on oil. If green energy sources could produce electricity and cut our petroleum uses by 50% that would be great.

It can! Build several nuclear power plants in each state and paint them Mother F**ker's green!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The technology *could* be there if it wasn't dependent on government funding which as usual is ripe with abuse and scandal. That $500+ million that went to Solyndra and accomplished nothing, is one small example of money that went to fraud that could've made an impact.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The technology *could* be there if it wasn't dependent on government funding which as usual is ripe with abuse and scandal. That $500+ million that went to Solyndra and accomplished nothing, is one small example of money that went to fraud that could've made an impact.

Don't forget to mention no was has been implicated, imprisoned, or even tried for that gem!

I wonder how much of that taxpayer money will find it's way to funding democrats?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Then why are you posting in a thread about fracking in Oklahoma? Did you read the article in the first post?

Am I not allowed to post in this thread? Did I upset you?
    Yes, I did read the article in the first post. The thread is titled "Fracking Risk?" I was under the impression this was a general discussion on fracking risks.

Could is the key word. It's not so much government dependent, it's more so "Why spend my own money, when the government will fund it?"

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Am I not allowed to post in this thread? Did I upset you?
    Yes, I did read the article in the first post. The thread is titled "Fracking Risk?" I was under the impression this was a general discussion on fracking risks.

Didn't say where you were allowed to post, not upset, just curious as to why you didn't care about the topic you were posting in and hoping to see more direct evidence in. As a note, you should read the article again. It talks about that question you didn't know the answer to.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    The gas stations make about 4 cents a gallon, the corporate profit is more than a dollar per gallon afaik.

I don't even need to look that up. A barrel of oil is 42 gallons. At about $100/bbl they are paying almost $2.50/gal for the crude. Add .50 taxes and you are at 3.00. I don't know about you, but I'm paying 3.31 at the pump. .04 for the retailer means that their gross margin is a whopping .27/gal. Out of that comes transportation to the refinery, refining, transportation to retailers, personnel costs etc. Somewhere in there it is reasonable to expect the shareholders to receive a little something on their investment.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I don't even need to look that up. A barrel of oil is 42 gallons. At about $100/bbl they are paying almost $2.50/gal for the crude. Add .50 taxes and you are at 3.00. I don't know about you, but I'm paying 3.31 at the pump. .04 for the retailer means that their gross margin is a whopping .27/gal. Out of that comes transportation to the refinery, refining, transportation to retailers, personnel costs etc. Somewhere in there it is reasonable to expect the shareholders to receive a little something on their investment.

http://m.nationalreview.com/exchequer/340191/facts-about-gas-prices-and-oil-profits

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    No sir, I said I want the gov to do what it's job is supposed to be, which I doubt it ever will. imo, that is ensuring the citizenry isn't taken advantage of by foreign powers or large corporations...ain't happening, I know.

The government shouldn't have anything to do with corporations and the citizenry. That's what the judicial system is for.

The fact that the gubmint is involved at all is bad enough. Now with crony capitalism it is even worse.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Ha I missed you guys : ). More food for thought: Saudi Arabia's workforce is primarily foreign. While we may be pumping huge amounts of money into the country for oil, we are definitely getting some of it back through wages. Saudi also imports most everything, so we get some of that money back through exports as well.

As for fracking: we're pumping millions of barrels of high pressure chemicals into the local ground, literally fracturing the surrounding bedrock, and suspending a small portion of it in a solution. What did you expect? OF COURSE the ground is going to shift a little. You might notice a 3.0 earthquake, maybe. it's not like we're talking about massive devastation. I'm just guessing, but I would think the most serious threats would be to a house's foundation over years of tiny earthquakes. I can't speak on the pollution aspect, methane leaks and the chemicals used in fracking may be a major concern; but lets not focus on earthquakes that many people probably never noticed.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez

How dare you being math and logic into this!

Too add to this, you don't get 42 gallons of gas out of a bbl either. Hence why we need refineries. I do not know the split and I'm sure it depends on type of crude. Diesel, oils, solvents, all kinda of stuff come out of it.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    This is getting off topic, I apologize, but:
    The government shouldn't have anything to do with corporations and the citizenry. That's what the judicial system is for.
    The fact that the gubmint is involved at all is bad enough. Now with crony capitalism it is even worse.

I don't understand why people still think corporations and other large public entities should have the same rights as individual people.
    Once a corporation grows large enough, they have every bit as much power and money as some nations, and the only interests they serve are the interests of their stockholders and their bottom line, not their community, state, or nation. This is especially true in the case of multi-national mega corporations.
    I firmly believe that the gubermint should stay the hell out of my life, and should leave small businesses and private companies alone, but if the gov was really doing it's job, mega-corps and monopolies should be regulated.
    You are right when you mention crony-ism as being a huge problem. If all levels of gov were doing their jobs, the people who have the limitless resources enough to buy out the gov would be prevented from doing so. Too late for that, though, Washington is already sold out. That is exactly the reason we need stronger regulations on those large, powerful, self-serving corporate entities; to limit the amount of power and control they can wield over us everyday citizens. That is, in my belief, one of the very few things the fed gov is supposed to be doing. Instead, we have a totally corrupt gov that gives the big corps bailouts and grants and all sorts of crony money and the reason we landed in this mess in the first place was when, back in the day, people allowed to gov to legally award the rights of a private person to corporations instead of keeping them in their own separate and regulated class. What we are seeing today is the end result that always comes from over-deregulation. I'm not advocating over-regulation, either. Profits have to be made and new ideas need to be expolred, but there needs to be a balance. There has to be. How else can you balance individuals and small groups against something like a billion dollar oil industry without gov oversite?
    You say that is what the judicial system is for? So what, your solution to something like these fracking earthquakes is to wait till after greedy-corp destroys the environment and then suing them over it and just saying "oh well, our homes and land are ruined but at least we have money."??? Do you feel the same way about allowing toxic or nuclear waste to be dumped just any old place? Should we de-regulate that, too?

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun

I did say as far as I know. I'll admit, I got those numbers from my favorite local gas station owner, and don't know for sure.

But, as to your last sentence, like several people in this thread have said, their shareholders are seeing record setting profits and have been seeing amazingly good profits for years now.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    How dare you being math and logic into this!

Too add to this, you don't get 42 gallons of gas out of a bbl either. Hence why we need refineries. I do not know the split and I'm sure it depends on type of crude. Diesel, oils, solvents, all kinda of stuff come out of it.

So you think it is logical to determine the profit margin on gas by immediately using wrong information?

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I did say as far as I know. I'll admit, I got those numbers from my favorite local gas station owner, and don't know for sure.

But, as to your last sentence, like several people in this thread have said, their shareholders are seeing record setting profits and have been seeing amazingly good profits for years now.

Sounds like a good investment to me.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Published on Aug 4, 2014

VICE heads to North Dakota fracking territory
    to meet the new generation of young and wealthy directional drillers
    who are taking part in the politically loaded and controversial method of obtaining oil.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    There really is only one solution to the problem. That's for the corporate muckity-mucks of the oil industry and their government cronies to stop being so gawddamn greedy. And that just isn't going to happen. We don't need fracking, we need honest government oversight over the oil companies, their policies and practices.

And on another tangent, WHY are we fracking for oil now, anyway? The US only has X amount of oil in our soil and at the rate we are going through it, all our wells and frack-holes and everything else will be completely dried up before my future grandkids are retirement age. We are leaving nothing for the next generations. Right now, we are simply gambling on the hope that technology will have solved the problem for us by then.

WHY??? Be cause the world is using oil at an unsustainable rate. Consumption is driving this nothing more, Fracking is just a processes that allows oil to be removed from the ground that normal drilling will not remove, and we need it to sustain our consumption levels and the balance of power. Anyone that thinks there will be oil left in 50 years at our current rate of use is brain dead. As for earthquakes you cannot convince me that removing millions of barrels of oil from the earth daily will not have adverse effects on the earths internal structure, something has to give.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom