Free float rail for AR question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I've been googling and cant seem to find anything that answers my questions (of quality at least). I really like Troy rails. For my new build I'm trying to keep it stupid simple and was thinking of keeping the factory front sight in place. Figuring it would be more bomb proof than BUIS. I've seen the DD rails, like this:

BCM-URG-M4-14RISIIFSPDEA2X-5_zps8cd7053c.jpg

Love the concept, hate the cheese grating quad rail. Does anyone make a smooth tube like the Troy but with a cutout like the DD above?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Like Joe said, the JP hand guards are very solid. I have 3 and may be buying another very soon.
    You will need the carbine length tube and the 4" extension to get the long hand guard while maintaining the factory front sight.
    It takes a little time and patience to install the hand guard propperly, but the barrel will be locked into the upper like nobody's business.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    The JP handguard is nice but it takes their proprietary barrel nut which involves removing the barrel. The Troy is basically the same handguard but uses the stock barrel nut. It would involve cutting down the front sight and going with a flip up but that's the way I would go.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I've been googling and cant seem to find anything that answers my questions (of quality at least). I really like Troy rails. For my new build I'm trying to keep it stupid simple and was thinking of keeping the factory front sight in place. Figuring it would be more bomb proof than BUIS. I've seen the DD rails, like this:

Love the concept, hate the cheese grating quad rail. Does anyone make a smooth tube like the Troy but with a cutout like the DD above?

Well, Troy makes one called the Delta rail, but it looks pretty fugly. Haven't looked into them enough to know how people like them.

useza5ys.jpg

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

Define bombproof? You could go with a fixed BUIS which is pretty solid state.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Define bombproof? You could go with a fixed BUIS which is pretty solid state.

I was more concerned about a gas block with set screws having issues over a pinned on front sight. Maybe my concerns are unwarranted?

I've banged around my 16 overseas and wacked the front sight and it never moved on me. I've heard of others (in competitions ect) bang their bolted on front sight gas block and it shifted and caused problems with their gas tube. What's your thought?

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I was more concerned about a gas block with set screws having issues over a pinned on front sight. Maybe my concerns are unwarranted?

I've banged around my 16 overseas and wacked the front sight and it never moved on me. I've heard of others (in competitions ect) bang their bolted on front sight gas block and it shifted and caused problems with their gas tube. What's your thought?

The difference is you don't want an EXPOSED bolt-on gas block. The ones like that from YHM, etc are junk. A quality properly installed low-pro gas block tucked under a rail is fine. Even better is a shaved down pinned FSB under a rail. Either one with a good rail mounted front sight is pretty bomb proof. If you want to keep the FSB and have a rail that works around it, the DD cutout rails are probably your best option. They're surprising light and narrow. The JP tubes are quality too. Either would require changing your barrel nut though, and neither are what I'd call cheap.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    The difference is you don't want an EXPOSED bolt-on gas block. The ones like that from YHM, etc are junk. A quality properly installed low-pro gas block tucked under a rail is fine. Even better is a shaved down pinned FSB under a rail. Either one with a good rail mounted front sight is pretty bomb proof. If you want to keep the FSB and have a rail that works around it, the DD cutout rails are probably your best option. They're surprising light and narrow. The JP tubes are quality too. Either would require changing your barrel nut though, and neither are what I'd call cheap.

Shaved/reprofiled gas block is the way to go! I've done 2 so far to accomodate my Midwest SS Gen 2 handguards. Check out how easy it is..

1471227_10151765880246891_191172737_n.jpg

1535622_10151819327411891_1221702733_n.jpg

528585_10151228019701891_1237164916_n.jpg

179290_10151236053406891_2046416812_n.jpg

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

I'd shave the FSB and go with a rail mounted Iron Sight.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    This is the first time I ever heard of anyone having trouble with JP's customer service. Not saying that it doesn't happen, only that I never heard of it.

Top Bottom