Freedom of Speech Suppression or not? OK restricts Funeral Protesters

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is this law reasonable or a violation of the 1st Amendment?

• Yes it's within Reason

Votes: 19 42.2%
    • No it's a Violation

Votes: 20 44.4%
    • I've got a better idea ...

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Take a deep look at what these people are doing. As someone said above, they are skilled in knowing EXACTLY what they can get away with. You will never convince me that they aren't USING the guise of "freedom of speech" to bring down their own brand of twisted misery on families in their weakest of moments.

I choose to consider that the equivilent of imposing one's will upon another. It's not physical- but it sure as Hades is psychological. Frankly, I think they are evil.

Clearly, we have a difference of opinion- and I'm okay with that. I can live with being told I'm wrong- but it won't change my mind.

ok, we disagree, fair enough. I'd rather have some 1stA inconveniences than allow gov't more control over it.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    The law means they(Westboro since that's who they are targeting) can still protest and do their thing, just from 500 MORE feet away from the Cemetary boundaries.

And only within a certain time period. I'd rather not have any of these restrictions, b/c eventually it will be commonplace (and be a set precedent), and infest other parts of the 1stA and maybe other Rights as well.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    ok, we disagree, fair enough. I'd rather have some 1stA inconveniences than allow gov't more control over it.

I can respect that. You never know the unintended consequences, that's for sure....

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Take a deep look at what these people are doing. As someone said above, they are skilled in knowing EXACTLY what they can get away with. You will never convince me that they aren't USING the guise of "freedom of speech" to bring down their own brand of twisted misery on families in their weakest of moments.

I choose to consider that the equivilent of imposing one's will upon another. It's not physical- but it sure as Hades is psychological. Frankly, I think they are evil.

Clearly, we have a difference of opinion- and I'm okay with that. I can live with being told I'm wrong- but it won't change my mind.

It seems Open Carry Advocates get more hate and discontent than Westboro Protesters.

:dunno:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Everyone has "freedom of speech" but you can't stalk, cyberstalk, harass, bully, etc. Same thing for yelling fire in a theater.

I'm all for freedom to speak, protest, peaceably assemble, etc. . . but this appears to be a pretty narrowly tailored law which doesn't significantly harm anybody's rights.

If this law really bothers you then IMO you don't have enough to worry about in your life.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Everyone has "freedom of speech" but you can't stalk, cyberstalk, harass, bully, etc. Same thing for yelling fire in a theater.

How does westboro do those thing?

but this appears to be a pretty narrowly tailored law which doesn't significantly harm anybody's rights.

Oh ok, so the gov't has to "significantly" harm someones Rights for it to be wrong. ah ok, gotcha. lol I'm sure you would be ok with restrictions put on the 2ndA too right?

If this law really bothers you then IMO you don't have enough to worry about in your life.

hey everyone, fear not! The cause of liberty need not be protected with a consistent hawkish eye, stop being losers and get a life.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    SVT are you saying that the Westboro Protesters have the right to say those abusive spiteful things and hold up those signs?

Also I assume they should be able to do those things while standing next to the coffin?

Is this right? Trying to clarify your position.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    SVT are you saying that the Westboro Protesters have the right to say those abusive spiteful things and hold up those signs?

Also I assume they should be able to do those things while standing next to the coffin?

If they were that close, there are disturbing the peace etc laws they would be breaking that ALREADY EXIST.
    the solution is rarely "pass more laws" although that's what usually happens.

Personally I think things would be better if the law wasn't dragged in whenever someone got punched in the face...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

They don't! Their statements are "general" in nature. Not aimed specifically at the family or any individual.

God Hates Fags! - Thank God For Dead Soldiers! Is non specific.

Remember, the WBC are attorneys too!

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell

They have the right to peacefully protest.

that's an interesting question. Let me head to the gym and I'll answer when I get back. Obviously, if the funeral is held on private property they would not be allowed on the premises, which is completely fine.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    They're assholes.

Assholes exist. Move on.

I'm having the /same/ arguments with my 6 year old son right now that I'm seeing made on this site. Just because someone says a mean thing doesn't mean you have some kind of power to have the government/teacher step in and punish them. To my son, it's a matter of not being a tattle-tale wuss or not punching kids for laughing at him for saying Optimus Prime is the leader and not Bumblebee, even though the kid that said Bumblebee is the leader is wrong and had it coming.

Mean people exist and will pervade you existence in public. If you're in public... just expect it and move on. If you're all on private property then they can either be kicked off for ANY reason, at the request of the property owner, or arrested for trespassing if they refuse to leave. If you're on private property and someone on public property is being mean with "x" feet of your presence on private property... build a ****ing wall. Have the funeral inside a tent. Or sack up and ignore them and realize they don't exist. Or go punch them in their crooked noses and plead temporary insanity or something. Whatever.

I just don't think the solution is to "run and tell on them and demand retribution because they said something mean"

Some people might think Bumblebee is the leader of the Autobots, but they're stupid and wrong and they can keep on being stupid and wrong.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    They don't! Their statements are "general" in nature. Not aimed specifically at the family or any individual.

But does anyone buy the idea they just happen to show up and cross paths with the other parties at that perfect moment in time by dumb luck? If they're packing around that kind of intuition, they better be playing Powerball every week! :doh:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Clear violation. The people doing it are detestable and the lowest form of scum on the earth, but it's still freedom of speech.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I think they have every right to protest a funeral, but the friends and family of the diseased shoupd have every right to assault the protestors, that way nothing is violated within the constitution. And dumbasses would quit protesting if they think they are going to get their ass beat.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Here is the 1st Amendment. Some of y'all may need to re-read it.

JR1572

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Here is the 1st Amendment. Some of y'all may need to re-read it.

JR1572
    ...and keep in mind it's incorporated to apply to States as well.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

It's pretty clearly harassment and they may be setting out to inflict severe emotional distress on these people.

Oh ok, so the gov't has to "significantly" harm someones Rights for it to be wrong. ah ok, gotcha. lol I'm sure you would be ok with restrictions put on the 2ndA too right?

They already put restrictions on the second amendment, in case you haven't noticed.

hey everyone, fear not! The cause of liberty need not be protected with a consistent hawkish eye, stop being losers and get a life.

Yeah basically. If this gets you that hot and bothered you need to get a life and stop worrying about your god-given dearly beloved right to protest at funerals.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Keep in mind I'm not playing tricks here, no rhetorical questions etc. Just honestly trying to figure out folks difference of opinion on this very particular issue.

I find it complex, others do not.

What I want to know is just how far if at all Freedom of Speech should be allowed?

I'm waiting on SVT to finish his workout but for the rest, for example Westboro;

-are you ok with putting WHATEVER on the signs?
    -are you ok with them being able to say whatever they want?
    -When/Where/How would you regulate Freedom of Speech(Assuming you think that means you should be able to say whatever you want) should it be regulated? if at all?

Also Jnieman I don't think it's the same. Yes there are assholes, oddly enough I too talked to my son about this yesterday. Of course people say stupid **** all the time. Most ALL the time it should be ignored. But we’re talking a Funeral. A burial of a family member where mourning and grieving is taking place. Not in the burger King line where some guy is using the F Bomb and talking about how LSU sucks Bama rocks.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

In your opinion, is that what Westboro Protesters are doing?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom