Front Sight post or flip ups on a "fighting rifle"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    FSB, Fixed Front Sights, and Folding BUIS all have different purposes.

Are you using a red dot?
    Are you using a LPVO?
    Are you using a high power optic?

If using a red dot, I prefer folding BUIS (but I have used a DD fixed front sight and BUIS rear).
    If using a magnified optic with a QD mount, I prefer folding BUIS.

FSB's are slowly being phased out. Free floating handguards are becoming commonplace.

Also something to note, with the increasing durability and longevity of modern day RDS, BUIS are becoming irrelevant.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    For a fighting rifle I prefer a rail mounted fixed front sight (not standard FSB). My go to setup is Daniel Defense or Unity fixed front, folding rear, and a lower 1/3 cowitness red dot.

I've had even quality optics fail during classes. When that happens, you can actually do some decent shooting with just the front sight in the optic window, and flip the rear up when chance allows. What I don't want to do under stress is start piddling around near the muzzle trying to flip a sight up. A fixed front has a secondary benefit of helping aligning the red dot. Even though they are mostly point and shoot, if you start shooting farther or from unconventional shooting positions, keeping the dot/reticle centered in the optic starts becoming more important and a front sight post gives a good point of reference.

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    I'd echo what SpeedRacer said above.

I shoot either the DD fixed sight set or DD rear and unity fixed FSP on all of my rifles. Having the sights already in the optical window when shooting with a red dot provides for quicker transition to irons as well as an alignment tools when shooting in-extremis.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    For a fighting rifle I prefer a rail mounted fixed front sight (not standard FSB). My go to setup is Daniel Defense or Unity fixed front, folding rear, and a lower 1/3 cowitness red dot.

I've had even quality optics fail during classes. When that happens, you can actually do some decent shooting with just the front sight in the optic window, and flip the rear up when chance allows. What I don't want to do under stress is start piddling around near the muzzle trying to flip a sight up. A fixed front has a secondary benefit of helping aligning the red dot. Even though they are mostly point and shoot, if you start shooting farther or from unconventional shooting positions, keeping the dot/reticle centered in the optic starts becoming more important and a front sight post gives a good point of reference.

Why not a standard FSB?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Why not a standard FSB?

Standard FSB is fine, I'm just not a fan of tiny handguards and non-free float barrels. A few years ago a pinned FSB was the only "rugged" option and low-profile gas blocks were gamer nonsense, but we are waaaaaaay past that now. Other than budget considerations, there is no benefit to a standard FSB/handguard setup.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Standard FSB is fine, I'm just not a fan of tiny handguards and non-free float barrels. A few years ago a pinned FSB was the only "rugged" option and low-profile gas blocks were gamer nonsense, but we are waaaaaaay past that now. Other than budget considerations, there is no benefit to a standard FSB/handguard setup.

Great reason!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom