Front Sight Training

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lottem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    My 2 cents worth:
    FrontSight offers a wide variety of courses including 2 and 4 day rifle, pistol, shotgun, UZI, M-16, Armorer (Glock, XD, 1911, AR-15), basic Martial Arts (empty hand defense, knife defense), Rope and Rappel classes. You can find the class descriptions at http://www.frontsight.com/Courses.asp

A couple of years ago FrontSight claimed that they trained more than 50,000 students the previous year.

Take a look at the "Taste of FrontSight" YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wv-kXxitPg

FrontSight does teach the weaver stance but they do not insist on you using it.

The advanced classes do have significant prereq requirements.

The range portion of the basic handgun and rifle class provides good solid training in a shooter coach environment. Your ammunition requirements will be about 100 rounds per day. They do have an ammo supplier on site with competitive prices.

The classroom portion of the basic handgun and rifle classes cover a variety of important subjects. Some of the topics covered are:
    Can and should you shoot?:
    Levels of Competence:
    Color Code of Mental Awareness:
    Combat Mindset:
    Understand Your Opponent:
    Training And The Fight:
    Fifty Percent Rule:
    Moral and Ethical Decisions on the use of deadly force.
    Use of Deadly Force.
    When Should I Present My Weapon?
    Problem 2 and Problem 3: (Criminal and Civil liability)
    What Will You Do Afterward?:
    What to do when the Police arrive:
    What Will You Say to The Police?:
    Selecting Firearms: (Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun)
    Individual Tactics:
    Techniques:
    Night Tactics:
    Malfunction Clearance:

The classroom information is worth the trip by itself.

Local training is great and I recommend it: but if you can get a FrontSight membership at a reasonable price it is certainly worth doing.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    In football, wrestling, Jujitsu, rugby, lacrosse, and nearly every other sport I can think of when you anticipating a shock load you square your hips to your opponents hips, shine your butt, and move your weight forward onto the balls of the feet. It's not a coincidence it's physiology.

The argument about exposing vital areas is moot. You can't will bullets to hit you where you would prefer. What you can do is end a gunfight quickly and decisively before younger shot and that's your best bet.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    No, you can't will bullets to do anything, but if you present a smaller target, doesn't that work in your favor if you're betting on ending the fight before being shot? Squaring up is in anticipation of being shot, but it's not necessarily going to help you hit your target any better.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong, I'm trying to understand the reasoning. And yes, I do intend on taking more classes to get a better understanding of all of this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    No, you can't will bullets to do anything, but if you present a smaller target, doesn't that work in your favor if you're betting on ending the fight before being shot? Squaring up is in anticipation of being shot, but it's not necessarily going to help you hit your target any better.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong, I'm trying to understand the reasoning. And yes, I do intend on taking more classes to get a better understanding of all of this.

You're not squaring up in anticipation of being shot, you're squaring up to put the most accurate rounds on target as fast as possible, so you can finish the fight. You are faster and more accurate squared up to the target because you have better control over the gun.

If you were trying to give the smallest target possible you would pull this number, and if it worked we would still be doing it.

Yevgeny_Onegin_by_Repin.jpg

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    What Jack said. Compounded by the fact that of you blade your body you are much less able to absorb or deliver kinetic energy. We aren't fighting cardboard targets. Having a solid base that allows you to absorb and deliver energy as well as have a stable shooting playgoer and allow for movement is essential.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Old school martial arts as taught and practiced in dojos have spread some half truths about stance. For instance watch Karate practitioners train, they blade. Watch them fight in full Contact environments and you'll see they square. Boxers, Muay Thai fighters, and MMA guys all square hips. Again not a coincidence.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Also regarding the "smaller target" thing, the vital area of center mass is not any bigger practically speaking than the side of your torso. IIRC correctly it was Louis Awerbuck that explained while you side is a smaller target, you are also much more likely to suffer a mortal wound if hit. Your center mass is a large area with a small vital zone, whereas your side is a smaller area that lines all your vital organs up all nice and neat for the bad guy.

Regardless, the best way to avoid getting shot is to end the fight before that happens.

mwodell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Gonzales
    Go take Gunfighter 1 with Advantage Group Training. I've been shooting for 25 years (mostly hunting not tactical) but I thought I was a pretty good shot. What I learned in 8 hours of Gunfighter 1 was that I wasn't as good of a shot as I thought I was, and also skills & drills to get better & fix my problems. There's definitely more to being good with your handgun than just being able to hit the target.

You'll have a great time with the Advantage Group & crew, plus help develop more & better training opportunities here locally.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Ok, that all makes more sense now. Never really thought of the recoil having that much effect on my entire body before.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I was always taught a bladed or Weaver type stance towards an aggressor, guns or Karate. Basic fighting stance is modified Weaver, not Isosceles.

That said, my plan is to take a class with the Vanilla Gorilla, and learn what I can learn.

Showing your way is better is one thing, ignoring or not learning a better way is just stupid.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I was always taught a bladed or Weaver type stance towards an aggressor, guns or Karate. Basic fighting stance is modified Weaver, not Isosceles.

That said, my plan is to take a class with the Vanilla Gorilla, and learn what I can learn.

Showing your way is better is one thing, ignoring or not learning a better way is just stupid.

When were you taught this?

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Don't want to beat a dead horse. I learned modified Weaver, think it works well. VG, plan on seeing you in a few months, I come to a class with an open mind. Looking forward to it.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Besides all the benefits outlined above, I don't think video evidence of someone using a bladed stance has ever been produced in a case of the shooter being caught off guard (ambush type moment) when the need for a handgun arised.

A bladed stance goes completely against any instinctive reaction you might have. Your stance should be intuitive, working with the body's natural reactions. Otherwise, it forces the shooter to improvise himself/herself through the fight.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well, I guess as long as you can do all these things in 1-2 seconds after you have been surprise attacked. And considering the vast majority of ALL civilian gun battles are over in 3 seconds; sure!

Try those varying techniques when a killer sneaks up to your car window at a stop light or sign, and puts a gun to your head. How about when you are at the cash register buying a Red Bull and three scum rush into the store aiming shotguns at your head cause your the first person they encounter? BTW; where's the register in relation to the door in most gas stations/convenience stores?

What about when you and your old lady are having a great date night out and are leaving the restaurant and walking to your car? Yep! F her, and take up a defensive stance in less than 3 seconds.

How about when you are walking amongst other people and a scumbag targets you with punch to the face? Like when if you were walking in a generally safe place?

Bottom line is, take ALL of the classes you want or hear about; if you can afford them or feel they will benefit you. What is problematic is YOU deciding what YOUR life is worth based on word of mouth. Now think about that for a minute. "I will not go to Front Sight, because someone told me they suck!" Or, "F Vanilla Gorilla and his class, because someone said he sucked!"

In perspective: Oh, USPSA sucks because you cant shoot AR's; or IDPA sucks because you may have to go prone; or long distance shooting is boring; and on and on!

See? ;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom