Fruit Trees/Bushes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Does anyone in the Louisiana area do well with growing fruit??

We spend a crap ton of money on apples/oranges/bananas every month, and I'd love to have an unlimited amount of fruit in the back yard.

Also, I mentioned this to my dad, and he mentioned that it might be a better idea to buy an already mature tree than to grow from a seedling. I want my fruit soon, not in 10 years :D:D

Thanks guys!!

DAVE

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Figs too. This is the first house that I don't have a fig tree at.
    Peaches do well also. I know someone that has a line of peach trees. When the peaches first come in he puts bottles over them. He picks them later, then fills the bottles w/ vodka... mmmm.....

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    My grandpaw has 4 navel orange trees, 3 satsuma trees, and 1 other kind and they thrive down hear. They are just stating to turn orange and I LOVE this time of year because I love oranges and oranges from a store just arent the same! Also navel oranges are reallly hard to peel, but they are very good for orange juice. The satsuma and other kind are easy to peel and good eating oranges. IIRC the satsumas have no sees, but the other eating orange does. At my house we just started growing a lemon tree. It is 3 years old and just started producing lemons. This year we've had about 10 or 12 so far. On of my dads friends has a lemon tree and they had over 100 lemonds this year. Figs also frow good down here. My grandpaw grows oranges, tomatoes, egg plant, watermelon, fig, bell pepper, and they all do good down here, but peaches is somthing he could never get to survive.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Green apples, figs, satsumas, lemons, limes, banana, mayhaw, grapes, plums, oranges, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, passion fruit...etc.

Yes, they can grow here.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Most things grow really well here. Everywhere you look we are surrounded by edible and good tasting plants from fruits to flowers to weeds in the yard...we are in Survivors Paradise, here in south La.

For about $200 and some time & effort anyone here with a yard can make a low maintenance garden that will grow enough fruits and vegetables, year round, to supplement 50-100% of a typical family's produce needs.

Add a few Free Range chickens, or 3 hens in a chicken tractor, to that mix and eggs are taken care of too. 1 rooster & 1 hen($5), a few months, and a person never has to buy chicken again.

Everything is here for us, we just have to put forth a little effort.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Get a pear tree.

You'll have more than you can eat in a couple of years.

^^^ my neighbor would have hundreds of pears every year, waaaaaaay more than 100.

The branches would go from 20ft high down to about 5-10ft from so many pears. Some branches eventually broke from them.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    Woot!!

For the guys who are growing fruits currently - did you start off with a seed, or with a plant.

Thanks again for all of the input!!

DAVE

I wouldn't recommend trying to grow citrus from seed as it may take years before it will bear fruit if at all. Buy grafted varieties.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    I planted 2 satsuma trees last year and they were about 2' tall each. Both produced about 25-30 satsuma's each and it seemed like the one that was planted in a lower area thrived more compared to the other.

larm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    i got a fig tree, a orange tree, a lemon tree and a satsuma . i planted them about 8 years ago and they all produce. they werent grown from seed though. that lemon tree is bad a$$, grows the biggest lemons around.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have a kumquat tree, orange tree, guava tree, star fruit tree, and dragon fruit plant all in my back yard. My dad has a bonzai peach tree in his front yard, his tree is maybe 3 ft tall and has fruit.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    I planted a satsuma tree 2 yrs ago. Its about 3 ft tall now and approximately 30 to 40 satsumas on it right now. I walk out every afternoon and pick a couple. Bought it from Lowes and it was about 8" tall. My brother in law grows lemons, satsumas and muscudines and pears. They all grow good.

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    I contacted the Cooperative Extension at LSU they sent me booklets for all fruits that can be grown in Louisiana, the booklets tell you everthing from what types are best for your geographic location to what type and how much to fertilize and spray for insects.

Best of all it was free.

Buck

I have the one for Peaches and Citrus here in front of me there is a link to the website for info www.agctr.lsu.edu/wwwac

Last edited:
    Top Bottom