Full choke for skeet?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Anybody ever used a 12ga fixed full choke barrel to shoot skeet with? I have vented 28" fixed full choke barrel for my Mossberg 500 and I want to try blowing up some orange birds with it. I was wondering how a fixed choke would affect my game.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It should make you a better shot. And it will make a nicer dust cloud on a direct hit!

I used to use full choked 12ga to hunt ducks when lead was allowed. Got to the point where I had to refrain from shooting some until they got farther out. :mamoru:

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Not as easy as more open chokes, but use what you plan to hunt with now and again anyway. You bust them with that and you Know that you will bring home the bacon later. All fun.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    Anybody ever used a 12ga fixed full choke barrel to shoot skeet with? I have vented 28" fixed full choke barrel for my Mossberg 500 and I want to try blowing up some orange birds with it. I was wondering how a fixed choke would affect my game.

I was alternate for my team and I grabbed wrong shotgun that morning and was stuck using Benelli bump 12 with full choke....let me tell you .... the rabbit traps were demolished but everything else sucked. I use carlson extended Improved Mod on top and bottom of my O/U and I have 2 carlson mods if I am in back of my team line and can switch a barrel.

doorag

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    New Orleans
    I use a 12g Model 37 Winchester single shot full choke at honey island all the time. Like the others said, it'll only make you a better shot. The pattern for full choke is about the size of a dinner plate at 25yds vs a beach ball when using modified. You can take some really long shots as well. Don't hesitate to try it out!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Yep. Tried it once with a LONG barreled winchester pump. Certainly more challenging but fun. Don't bet on the outcome though! I think the pump was more the problem than the choke.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Nothing wrong with having fun with it, but the extremely tight pattern (either hit or miss) it less than ideal: it will make it slower to develop a feel for targets because you will not be hitting as many as with a looser choke. Fringe hits help develop your target eye and get your move into the ballpark faster. With the possible exception of George Digweed, even the sporting clays experts seldom use a full choke, FWIW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom