Funny thing happened yesterday.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Anyway, like I was sayin', pork is the fruit of the land. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, pork-kabobs, pork creole, pork gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple pork, lemon pork, coconut pork, pepper pork, pork soup, pork stew, pork salad, pork and potatoes, pork burger, pork sandwich. That- that's about it.

Now, did that offend anybody?
    Lighten up folks!!

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Sure he did antagonize the man. But seriously, he can't be honest about what restaurant and food he likes? I don't expect him to avoid using the word "pork", "pig", "swine" etc just because there was someone in the vehicle who may or may not be muslim. Sure he didn't have to point out they have really good swine products, but I don't think he should be crucified for making a joke.

Just like I don't think I should have to avoid eating a hamburger in front of catholics on friday during lent...

What don't you get about the fact that he intentionally insulted the man because he didn't like the way the guy looked? And then came to a Louisiana website about firearms to post about how proud he was for it. Firearms owners and southerners already get a bad enough rap about being racist yokels. Don't feed the fire, guys. Be a damn gentleman.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Why can't everyone just be nice...to everyone...all the time?! Is it really that hard? Here's a little piece of advice someone gave me about a year ago: Go out every day and try to just make ONE person's day slightly better. It doesn't matter what you do or how you do it. Just try to bring one person each day up a little bit.

Whether that translates to playing nice on a forum or to making the barista at Starbucks smile, just be nice guys. All this hostility that is floating around just can't be good for anyone or anything.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Got it, don't make a joke about someone else's religion. Political correctness at its finest. I wouldn't have said it to the guy, but I don't pretend its not funny to me. I thought it was funny, and I don't think the guy should apologize to anyone for making a joke. If anyone deserved an apology it is Habib, and only if the OP genuinely thought the guy was going to take it jokingly and obviously didn't.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Why can't everyone just be nice...to everyone...all the time?! Is it really that hard? Here's a little piece of advice someone gave me about a year ago: Go out every day and try to just make ONE person's day slightly better. It doesn't matter what you do or how you do it. Just try to bring one person each day up a little bit.

Whether that translates to playing nice on a forum or to making the barista at Starbucks smile, just be nice guys. All this hostility that is floating around just can't be good for anyone or anything.

I completely agree with this. I try to do this every day. Good piece of advise you got there.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I completely agree with this. I try to do this every day. Good piece of advise you got there.

Yep. I try to live my life by basically one principle- "don't be a dick". It pretty much covers everything. Nobody's going to be able to maintain that all the time, but I don't think coming online and bragging about it was appropriate.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    The way I read the first post, you were trying to make him uncomfortable. That is generally not interpreted as a joke, and usually makes someone look like an inconsiderate jerk. If it was intended as humor, while you may have a relationship with your co-worker where this kind of banter is humorous, but from the point of view of a stranger, it could be interpreted as antagonistic. Personally, if I was the stranger in the vehicle, I would have taken that as a low-blow and determined that any further conversation or dealing with you would be pointless, as I would feel I had a pretty good assessment of you personality.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Even if he did say it without the intent of it being humorous, he was asked by the driver where and what he likes to eat around Lafayette. He may have intentionally inserted the pork products served into the conversation, but do you believe he should have intentionally left out of the conversation the pork products he enjoys out of fear of disrespecting the man's religion? I just don't know where some would draw the line. Like I said, I probably wouldnt have pointed out strictly pork products (even though I think it is funny) but I wouldn't have intentionally left it out either.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Even if he did say it without the intent of it being humorous, he was asked by the driver where and what he likes to eat around Lafayette. He may have intentionally inserted the pork products served into the conversation, but do you believe he should have intentionally left out of the conversation the pork products he enjoys out of fear of disrespecting the man's religion? I just don't know where some would draw the line. Like I said, I probably wouldnt have pointed out strictly pork products (even though I think it is funny) but I wouldn't have intentionally left it out either.

I think some people are purposely clouding this by talking about political correctness and playing the victim of "I'm a racist because I'm white". In this case, neither are remotely relevant. This has nothing to do with political correctness and the only skin color that matters is the one of the man intentionally antagonized for it. I don't understand how you can't see where to draw the line. It says a lot for it to not be obvious to you. Don't intentionally be a dick to people for no legitimate reason.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Sorry Jack, I guess I am without morals and a racists because I don't think you should have to watch what you say around people of the Islamic faith. Ive already said I wouldn't have said it the way he did and I don't think you should intentionally antagonize the guy. I don't know what the tone of the conversation was in the van, whether or not it would have been appropriate to joke about that kind of thing. If only we all shared the high moral standards of an outstanding citizen such as yourself Jack. I just simply said I don't know where others draw the line, I know where I draw the line.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom