Future 300blk sbr build.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    IMG_20160829_184448.jpg

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    I wanted to order one of those lowers awhile back. What else are you planning on using on the build?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    More than likely the Bootleg inc upper, adjustable carrier, and handgurd. SOLGW barrel, bolt, gas block. Either VLTOR A5 or milspec tube with Geissele Super 42 spring and buffer. AAC 51T brake. Undecided on lpk, furniture, and optics.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have two 300 blk's with 51t's. A noveske 8.2 and AAC 9 inch. So if you happen to find yourself in the westbank and go to bayou dragon on the weekend, I wouldn't mind letting you hear what it would sound like.

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    I have two 300 blk's with 51t's. A noveske 8.2 and AAC 9 inch. So if you happen to find yourself in the westbank and go to bayou dragon on the weekend, I wouldn't mind letting you hear what it would sound like.
    Thanks, I would like to check that out. I'm thinking of going 10.5" with 1/7 twist. Do you recommend a different setup?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thanks, I would like to check that out. I'm thinking of going 10.5" with 1/7 twist. Do you recommend a different setup?

I had 4 total. 10.5 inch DSG with adjustable gas, 8.5 radical firearms, 8.2 noveske, and 9 inch AAC. I sold the 10.5 inch b/c I have too many 10.5 5.56's and didn't want to get confused plus, it's 300blk, the selling point is you can go SHORT! The Radical was just to see if I liked the round, and I sold that off once I realized I did in favor of the AAC. Then came across a good deal on the noveske, and I'm a noveske whore so I bought it.

Crazy thing is, though I like both the 8.2 and 9, one of them shoots supers more accurately and one shoots subs more accurately. I don't remember which is which.

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    I had 4 total. 10.5 inch DSG with adjustable gas, 8.5 radical firearms, 8.2 noveske, and 9 inch AAC. I sold the 10.5 inch b/c I have too many 10.5 5.56's and didn't want to get confused plus, it's 300blk, the selling point is you can go SHORT! The Radical was just to see if I liked the round, and I sold that off once I realized I did in favor of the AAC. Then came across a good deal on the noveske, and I'm a noveske whore so I bought it.

Crazy thing is, though I like both the 8.2 and 9, one of them shoots supers more accurately and one shoots subs more accurately. I don't remember which is which.
    Oh I like some Noveske too but damn their barrels are high. I know, you get what you pay for. I have a friend that tried 10.5 300 blk shooting sub's through a 1/8 twist and had trouble with the round keyholing. I mainly want to shoot sub's so I have some research to do on a barrel and loads.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I just completed a gas piston upper build with a pistol length gas system. Tuning it was challenging but not impossible. I had to enlarge the barrel's gas port, swap the piston spring with something lighter, and swap the carbine buffer spring for a 300 Blk specific buffer spring. It runs really good now and locks back on an empty mag. I'm still waiting on the ATF to approve my suppressor and it was accepted in Apr. I have a Wilson Combat 1-8 Twist, 11.3" which I picked up on sale for $227.

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I have a Syrac Ordnance Gen II adjustable gas block 0.750" barrel with a pistol length tube. PM me if you are in the New Orleans area and interested.

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    I just completed a gas piston upper build with a pistol length gas system. Tuning it was challenging but not impossible. I had to enlarge the barrel's gas port, swap the piston spring with something lighter, and swap the carbine buffer spring for a 300 Blk specific buffer spring. It runs really good now and locks back on an empty mag. I'm still waiting on the ATF to approve my suppressor and it was accepted in Apr. I have a Wilson Combat 1-8 Twist, 11.3" which I picked up on sale for $227.
    I bet it was frustrating to get it right but that's the beauty of it. I would like to check the setup out. I'm going to run an adjustable carrier that's why I'm going D.I.

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    I have a Syrac Ordnance Gen II adjustable gas block 0.750" barrel with a pistol length tube. PM me if you are in the New Orleans area and interested.
    I'm west of Lafayette. If I'm in the area I sure will give you a shout. What are you asking for it?

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I'm west of Lafayette. If I'm in the area I sure will give you a shout. What are you asking for it?

$75 for the Syrac Ordnance Gen II adjustable gas block. And yes once I got it running I was very happy and thinking through the process of timing the gun is the best part. I was really worried about opening up the barrel port and possibly breaking off a bit in the port; I was very careful and it all worked out.

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    When I built my 300 blk upper I used a Ballastic Advantage barrel. It was the 10 inch modern series barrel with pistol length gas system. I got it on sale for 140 with pinned gas block. It has cycled supers and subs and locks back on a empty mag suppressed and unsuppressed. Also I am using the Vltor A5 system with a5h3 buffer with green Springco spring.

Last edited:

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    $75 for the Syrac Ordnance Gen II adjustable gas block. And yes once I got it running I was very happy and thinking through the process of timing the gun is the best part. I was really worried about opening up the barrel port and possibly breaking off a bit in the port; I was very careful and it all worked out.
    That's a good price, I will be in touch. I've heard of people breaking bits off in barrels, can't be a good day after that.

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    When I built my 300 blk upper I used a Ballastic Advantage barrel. It was the 10 inch modern series barrel with pistol length gas system. I got it on sale for 140 with pinned gas block. It has cycled supers and subs and locks back on a empty mag suppressed and unsuppressed. Also I am using the Vltor A5 system with a5h3 buffer with green Springco spring.

I was thinking about the A5 system on the 300 blk. I hear good things about the system how it tames bolt bounce on 5.56 and was wondering how well it worked on the .300.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    That's a good price, I will be in touch. I've heard of people breaking bits off in barrels, can't be a good day after that.

Most of the time happens when the bit doesn't go in straight. You have to have a vice, bit, and cutting oil. Then triple check the bit alignment before running down the hole. Any deflection touch up the bit to barrel alignment. All that and I was still holding my breath. ;-)

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    Most of the time happens when the bit doesn't go in straight. You have to have a vice, bit, and cutting oil. Then triple check the bit alignment before running down the hole. Any deflection touch up the bit to barrel alignment. All that and I was still holding my breath. ;-)
    Haha I bet, not something you want to slip on.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I was thinking about the A5 system on the 300 blk. I hear good things about the system how it tames bolt bounce on 5.56 and was wondering how well it worked on the .300.

You can tame bolt bounce using the regular carbine buffer setup by switching to a heavier buffer weight. Tuning the buffer system and cycling is all about getting the force equation right. Vltor's system is marketing and ARFCOM groupthink at it's finest.

Your gun comes with a predetermined gas pressure, so to speak. This means the system length is set and the gas port is set (yes you can open it, but you shouldn't be buying barrels that don't work), so you are going to get a set PSI shooting back into the receiver. This is your force for cycling the gun. Now all that's left is to figure out how much of that force you need to offset to make the gun cycle reliably. If your buffer system is too light the force from the gas will run the bolt carrier/buffer system too fast and cause failures. If your buffer system is too heavy then the force from the gas will not be enough to move it causing failures. The buffer system consist of three components; the BCG, the buffer weight and the spring. You can make the buffer system heavier by increasing the force required to compress the spring or adding mass to the buffer weight or BCG, do the opposite to make it lighter.

By switching things around Vltor has given off the impression they have created something new or necessary. However, in reality all they did was reassign the values of the three components that make up the system. You're still taming the same force and you still need the resistance to be the same value. Since the BCG is a constant we'll rule that out. Lets say the resistance needs to be an arbitrary number of 8. That means you could use a H2 buffer with value 5 and the standard carbine spring with value 3. What Vltor did was market their equation of 7+1=8 and said it cost $100 more. They have not altered physics or created magic. The only real benefit over the traditional system would be for very tall individuals who need a longer length of pull and that 7th stock position helps out.

Top Bottom