Future FEMA Flood Zone with projected Climate Change effects

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...rd_areas_may_increase_45_percent_by_2100.html

Direct link to FEMA report: http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/...rt/Climate_Change_Report_AECOM_2013-06-11.pdf

130614-ClimateDesk-Flooding.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

The specific areas of greatest impact, and some of the less-impacted are rather surprising, to me. Very interesting, though.

Rising seas and increasingly severe weather are expected to increase the areas of the United States at risk of floods by up to 45 percent by 2100, according to a first-of-its-kind report released by the Federal Emergency Management Agency on Wednesday. These changes could double the number of flood-prone properties covered by the National Flood Insurance Program and drastically increase the costs of floods, the report finds.

The report concludes that climate change is likely to expand vastly the size and costs of the 45-year-old government flood insurance program. Like previous government reports, it anticipates that sea levels will rise an average of 4 feet by the end of the century. But this is what's new: The portion of the U.S. at risk for flooding, including coastal regions and areas along rivers, will grow between 40 and 45 percent by the end of the century. That shift will hammer the flood insurance program. Premiums paid into the program totaled $3.2 billion in 2009, but that figure could grow to $5.4 billion by 2040 and up to $11.2 billion by the year 2100, the report found. The 257-page study has been in the works for nearly five years and was finally released by FEMA after multiple inquiries from Climate Desk and Mother Jones.

The report attributes only 30 percent of the increased risk of flooding to population growth; 70 percent is due to climate change.

Much more details, explanations, and information in the article linked, and like I posted above, the full report is there.

ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    Lost interest at the title: [FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40][FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40][FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40]The Impact of Climate Change and Population Growth on the National Flood Insurance Program Through 2100[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40][FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40][FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40]....yawn. Not "global warming" anymore, now it is "climate change."[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I don't know about solely relying on a study by FEMA to support the inevitable hikes in insurance premiums. I'd like to see third party research, but we all know that won't be required.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I don't know about solely relying on a study by FEMA to support the inevitable hikes in insurance premiums. I'd like to see third party research, but we all know that won't be required.
    You didn't read anything did you?

The report was prepared by AECOM, a publicly traded private sector research and design consultancy.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Lost interest at the title: [FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40][FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40][FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40]The Impact of Climate Change and Population Growth on the National Flood Insurance Program Through 2100[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40][FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40][FONT=___WRD_EMBED_SUB_40]....yawn. Not "global warming" anymore, now it is "climate change."[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    Not sure why you bothered clicking then - my thread title was pretty descriptive.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think I would have found another name for my model instead of the "Monte Carlo". It evokes pictures of rolling the dice to me. Of course, this model will probably be used immediately by insurance companies to raise rates to protect their future earnings.

Top Bottom