G26 or 642...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    Applied for my CCP, so I've been doing some research and I think I have narrowed my selection to these two. I know I will want to pocket carry occasionally, and that's why I'm thinking about the 642. Anyone here ever pocket carry a G26? Seems kinda large to do so, but I've never tried it. One plus is that i do have a G34, so I cd keep the same manual of arms, same caliber, mags, etc. Also, I like to shoot and will want to become very proficient with whatever I decide to carry, so which wd be more comfortable to shoot frequently? Never tried either, but I plan on it...Just looking for others experiences until I get the chance. Thanks!

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    if you are looking to pocket carry then go with the airweight. i have tried the pocket carry with the G26 and it was not comfortable to me but i could carry an old model 49 in my pocket all day long.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Well obviously you'll get more capacity and power from the g26. You could probably pocket carry both of them, but I always preferred IWB. I would get the G26, they're surprisingly accurate. I was just never a fan of the grip.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have both. In baggy cargo shorts I have pocket carried my G26. but it a bit large for that. I have a pocket holster for my 642 and could carry that all day and forget about it. The only issue I have with the 642 is the round count. If you carry a G26 with a G19 spare magzine you have lots of rounds compared tot he 642. I orginally got the 642 for my wife to shoot but she doesnt like it because it is snappy. It is not a gun to take out to the range and shoot 100 or 200 hundred rounds through. All that said I usually carry the 642 for quick trips around town and the G26 for longer more planned outtings. I usually keep it in the center console of my truck so it is usually close at hand.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    im not trying to spark a debate but for the average person i think a 5 shot with a speed loader should be sufficient.

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    For pocket carry, the snubbie would probably be a better choice. I don't see how people pocket carry a G26, i have trouble concealing an LCP in some jeans. I prefer to carry my 26 IWB, with a G19 mag as a spare.

Overall, I would pick the 26, but it depends on how much of a priority pocket carry is for you. If you plan on pocket carrying as your main method of concealment, I might shy away from the 26.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    im not trying to spark a debate but for the average person i think a 5 shot with a speed loader should be sufficient.

That's a discussion that we've had before. I agreed with you at with respect to my life. I don't live a high risk life style and am unlikely to ever meet anything higher than random street thugs. However I was wrong apparently and should be carrying at least enough ammunition to engage a small village in Afghanistan. I stand corrected. :)

I'd go with the 642. But that's only b/c I just don't like the way a GLOCK feels in my hand. I also have little confidence in my ability to get the weapon's maximum accuracy. I'm more comfortable with revolvers and things with longer DA pulls. Go figure.

Dave

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    That's a discussion that we've had before. I agreed with you at with respect to my life. I don't live a high risk life style and am unlikely to ever meet anything higher than random street thugs. However I was wrong apparently and should be carrying at least enough ammunition to engage a small village in Afghanistan. I stand corrected. :)

I'd go with the 642. But that's only b/c I just don't like the way a GLOCK feels in my hand. I also have little confidence in my ability to get the weapon's maximum accuracy. I'm more comfortable with revolvers and things with longer DA pulls. Go figure.

Dave

:bowrofl:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Haha. That's the point I was trying to make. You just said it alot better.

Dave

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    268   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    For pocket carry the 642 will be alot better. The g26 is just too big for most pockets. Maybe a jacket pocket, or coat inside pocket?

The g26 is a better choice for IWB. Ammo capacity is important, you would need to carry the 642 loaded and a speedloader/speedstrip to compare with the g26 loaded without a spare mag. Plus I find spare mags easier to carry than a round speedloader in a pouch, covertly... Speedstrip would be a better choice as it will not print as much, but relaoding is not a fast as using a speedloader.

In all honesty I would really not want to have to relaod my cc, that means I cannot shoot worth a crap, or I am attenting to take down a 3rd world country with it.

I think a flat auto like a lcp (or preferably a keltec pf9) would be a better choice for pocket carry than either gun listed. You can make them look alot more like a wallet. Plus they have a few more rounds than a snubbie. More ammo is better... Howerver the snubbie polices its own brass, might be a requirement depending on how you plan to use your gun...

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    look into the single stack kahrs. the cm9 pm9 or if you like it a lil heavy the mk9. all are 9mm you can pocket carry. (maybe the not the mk9 as its all steel)
    here i found a pic that compares the size of the pm9 and the g26. the cm9 is the same size as the pm9, just not as pricey.(415 vs 600-650)
    kahrpm9glock26comparison1.jpg

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I have both. In baggy cargo shorts I have pocket carried my G26. but it a bit large for that. I have a pocket holster for my 642 and could carry that all day and forget about it. The only issue I have with the 642 is the round count. If you carry a G26 with a G19 spare magzine you have lots of rounds compared tot he 642. I orginally got the 642 for my wife to shoot but she doesnt like it because it is snappy. It is not a gun to take out to the range and shoot 100 or 200 hundred rounds through. All that said I usually carry the 642 for quick trips around town and the G26 for longer more planned outtings. I usually keep it in the center console of my truck so it is usually close at hand.

Did you ever find something your wife liked? I bought mine a S&W 640, and she loves it. It's heavy, but she can control it just fine.

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I've looked at the Kahrs but don't know much about 'em.
    I'm not super concerned with capacity. I guess never having carried, I just don't know what wd be comfortable and what wd be easy. Seems pocket carry wd be easy, but in anything but cargo pants/shorts seems it wd be tough. IWB just seems that it wd be uncomfortable, but like I said I've never tried it.
    Seems the G26 wd be more shootable too. A friend of mine has a P11 and says it's uncomfortable too shoot more than a few times.
    I appreciate the input thus far!

Last edited:

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    I've looked at the Kahrs but don't know much about 'em.
    I'm not super concerned with capacity. I guess never having carried, I just don't know what wd be comfortable and what wd be easy. Seems pocket carry wd be easy, but in anything but cargo pants/shorts seems it wd be tough. IWB just seems that it wd be uncomfortable, but like I said I've never tried it.
    Seems the G26 wd be more shootable too. A friend of mine has a P11 and says it's uncomfortable too shoot more than a few times.
    I appreciate the input thus far!
    here is a ideo from a glock guy. he talks and shoots it. i hear the kahrs are very reliable after their 200 round break in period.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKSvmMLJt_0

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    268   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    here is a ideo from a glock guy. he talks and shoots it. i hear the kahrs are very reliable after their 200 round break in period.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKSvmMLJt_0

Nothing against kahrs but if the require a "break in period" they are not made/finished correctly. Glock does not require a break in period... I have seen quite a few of the polymer frame models that had terrible machining/casting on the inside of the frames. Lets just say keltec do a better job than that! I did have a cw40 that seemed well made, but traded it for a glock, and was happy with that. They are just too expensive, for what you get.

I will agree that the p11 is a handful, it is very light. Never did get a chance to shoot the pf9.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Nothing against kahrs but if the require a "break in period" they are not made/finished correctly. Glock does not require a break in period... I have seen quite a few of the polymer frame models that had terrible machining/casting on the inside of the frames. Lets just say keltec do a better job than that! I did have a cw40 that seemed well made, but traded it for a glock, and was happy with that. They are just too expensive, for what you get.

I will agree that the p11 is a handful, it is very light. Never did get a chance to shoot the pf9.
    that is not a sign of a bad gun, the tolerances are very tight out of the box and this is a requirement some guns have, and hey you should take it to the range to become familiar with it anyway. my kahr k9 is top notch. originally i was gonna buy the kel tec pf9.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom