G34 or G35 for USPSA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I have run into a deal that I can turn my XD9sc, which was for cc but have decided it is a little on the thick side, into a gen4 G34 or G35, my choice. I currently shoot production with my XD40v10, with a non ported barrel installed. I was going to go with the XD5.25, but decided to try some kool aid. I am currently setup to reload both .40 and 9mm, and have quite a bit of 9mm ammo which I will have no use for if I do not replace my xd9sc with another 9mm. I'm sure I could sell it off or trade it to replace it with .40 if needed. At the moment I plan to stay shooting production so being able to shoot major PF scoring loads does not matter. I know I could down load the .40 to the same PF as the 9mm, but why do that when the 9mm bullets are cheaper.

I have pretty much made up my mind on going with the G34. I am mainly trying to make sure I didn't overlook a possible reason to go with the G35. What are some of you USPSA guy's opinion on this?

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I would buy the 34 if I was in your shoes, then again I no longer participate in the competition world . The 24 is also a great gun IMO but its not Production Div legal, but you could use it in Limited10 without issues if you wanted a "longer" gun

Spanky has a 34 for sale

And there was somebody here selling a 24 yesterday

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I have run into a deal that I can turn my XD9sc, which was for cc but have decided it is a little on the thick side, into a gen4 G34 or G35, my choice. I currently shoot production with my XD40v10, with a non ported barrel installed. I was going to go with the XD5.25, but decided to try some kool aid. I am currently setup to reload both .40 and 9mm, and have quite a bit of 9mm ammo which I will have no use for if I do not replace my xd9sc with another 9mm. I'm sure I could sell it off or trade it to replace it with .40 if needed. At the moment I plan to stay shooting production so being able to shoot major PF scoring loads does not matter. I know I could down load the .40 to the same PF as the 9mm, but why do that when the 9mm bullets are cheaper.

I have pretty much made up my mind on going with the G34. I am mainly trying to make sure I didn't overlook a possible reason to go with the G35. What are some of you USPSA guy's opinion on this?

It really boils down to this.

A.) You are aware that ANY caliber in USPSA Production will be scored minor and have a 10 rd mag limit...
    B.) If you decided to shoot the G34 in anything besides production, you will be shooting minor PF and scored accordingly...
    C.) If you buy the G35, then you already can play in limited (when you decide), all u need to do is buy some mag extensions.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I shoot a G35 for Production, but I choose that because I already was set up to reload .40 and did not own anything 9mm. It works fine for me.

My opinion: G34 = slightly less reloading costs (9mm Bayou Bullets 147g at $75 vs. .40 180g at $90); G35 = ability to use major in the future.

If I move to Limited in the future, I'd probably just buy a new gun for it. If you would do the same, get the G34. If not, consider the G35.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Thanks for the input guys.

It really boils down to this.

A.) You are aware that ANY caliber in USPSA Production will be scored minor and have a 10 rd mag limit...
    B.) If you decided to shoot the G34 in anything besides production, you will be shooting minor PF and scored accordingly...
    C.) If you buy the G35, then you already can play in limited (when you decide), all u need to do is buy some mag extensions.

A: aware
    B: also aware
    C: This had me leaning towards the g35 at first. If/when I do decide to move to limited I will most likely just pick up a G35 at that point, granted I stay with that platform.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Here's what I found when shooting someone else's G35 with a minor load.

Much like a 147 grain 9mm load, the gun feels like it's shooting really soft. With most of your PF calculation coming from the weight of the round, a lot of the sharp snap is removed from the equation. Extend this to the ease with which you can tune the G35's recoil spring and you can get an extremely flat shooting gun for competition.

However... I don't like it. I found even 147 grainers made me feel like I was waiting on the sights/slide. It's definitely a preference thing-- but I went with 124's instead, for this express purpose. A bit snappier indeed, but it suits my shooting style-- or maybe it's just what I got used to, having put so much factory stuff down range before setting up my press.

At any rate, it's something you might wanna try out for yourself before you go buy. Take whatever 9mm load you've chosen for Production and compare it to one you whip up for .40, then run it through a couple of comparable pistols to see what you like the best. If you can't stick to the same brand and size, at least try to go all polymer for your test so you don't get any false results about perceived recoil.

Also keep in mind that heavier rounds are alleged to do better against steel. While anecdotal, I have indeed seen this effect in a .40 Minor load-- easily felling a popper with a low near-edge hit that dropped extremely slowly for my dead center 9mm shot. And both of us were making right at 130 PF. Lots of factors could have played into that obviously, but it definitely opened my eyes!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom