Gecko's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Being an invasive species, I wonder if they are having a negative impact on any other native species here in Louisiana, other than our State Bird (the mosquito).

My understanding is they occupy and eco-niche that was vacant and, hence, aren't having a negative impact or displacing anything.

One of the strange things about living up here is we don't have the lizards and geckos. My basset hound would stalk the ones on the window screens. When she would catch up with one, she wanted to play with it, not harm it.

:eh:

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Southern Indiana has skinks.

I had a Brittany Spaniel that would stick her nose in outdoor plants and scan back and fourth with her eyes looking for a cameleon to move.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I, too have wondered the same thing.I know for a fact that they did not displace any native night-feeding lizards here, as we had none. But we must have had SOMETHING in it's eco-niche! By the way,it came over on ships from Europe amidst goods, early in this century, as far as I can tell.Sorry, eary in the LAST century!:(

Back in the 80's there was a Gecko craze where all my friends were mail ordering them as pets. I just assumed they got loose and started breeding. I never saw them up here in Shreveport in the wild until after 2K. It was like nothing then, SUDDENLY GECKOS!

Beeramid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Near Lafayette, La
    We had a problem with brown widow spiders (which is another invasive specie), when we bought our home. I had to spray between the foundation and stucco leading up to the front door every month or so. Then one night we started seeing a few geckos here and there, and pretty soon there were no more brown widows. I don't mind the little guys, I haven't seen a brown widow in the last couple of years.:cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus_geometricus

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    We had a problem with brown widow spiders (which is another invasive specie), when we bought our home. I had to spray between the foundation and stucco leading up to the front door every month or so. Then one night we started seeing a few geckos here and there, and pretty soon there were no more brown widows. I don't mind the little guys, I haven't seen a brown widow in the last couple of years.:cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus_geometricus

Wait....Geckos eat spiders too? I'm about to be overrun by all sorts of spiders at my house and I have no gekos.

OP, please box up as many as you can and mail them to me. I'll pay you a dollar for each one that shows up alive!

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    With Gecko's you'll save 15% on insecticides.

large.png

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have all of the above. Tons of geckos, tons of mosquitos, and tons of spiders. Apparently I've got Section 8 geckos.

Same here. Not as many mosquitos, but spiders are EVERYWHERE. I mainly see them out in the yard running across the water of the pond, but all the geckos hang out i nthe carport. I see 30-40 a night under there.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Notice posters saying they have problems with Spiders. Well after finding and killing 4 brown widow spiders around my home (same day) I purchased a product that destroys spiders for up to 6 months. It works. Sprayed it along the botom of my roll up door to my shop as well and found dead spiders on the floor 5 months after.

Suspend_SC_1Pint_sml.png

Also to stay on topic.

gecko-eating-spider.JPG

Last edited:

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Notice posters saying they have problems with Spiders. Well after finding and killing 4 brown widow spiders around my home (same day) I purchased a product that destroys spiders for up to 6 months. It works. Sprayed it along the roll up door to my shop as well and found dead spiders on the floor 5 months after.

Suspend_SC_1Pint_sml.png

Also to stay on topic.

gecko-eating-spider.JPG
    Where did you get that insecticide?
    We have been overrun in our hangar, by black widows.
    We hit all the eggsacks we can find with a blow torch.
    Found several fat pregnant momma spiders also.
    We've got to do something, because we work out there frequently, and have to really be careful where we put our hands.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Where did you get that insecticide?
    We have been overrun in our hangar, by black widows.
    We hit all the eggsacks we can find with a blow torch.
    Found several fat pregnant momma spiders also.
    We've got to do something, because we work out there frequently, and have to really be careful where we put our hands.

Pestop - Your do-it-yourself pest control solution
    806 O'Neal Ln, Baton Rouge, LA ‎
    (225) 273-4788

http://www.pestop.com/

This stuff works great. Once it dries its safe for pets but if a spider crawls over it...Legs Up Freak!

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Notice posters saying they have problems with Spiders. Well after finding and killing 4 brown widow spiders around my home (same day) I purchased a product that destroys spiders for up to 6 months. It works. Sprayed it along the roll up door to my shop as well and found dead spiders on the floor 5 months after.

Just ordered some. Go amazon prime, go!

Top Bottom