Generator quit working...Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

NRA LIFE
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Moss Bluff
    I have a Powerboss generator.Motor runs perfect.Generator quit producing power,anyone have any suggestions?The breaker did not trip.It just quit working after about 1.5hrs of continous use.It does not get used very often.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    There is a part on the genset that has a pair of carbon brushes that went bad on mine. My buddies dad is a retired electrician, and works in his free time at home depot who diagnosed it for me. He said he has seen it on a bunch of em that have been returned to the store. I do not know the name of the part, just k ow that there are 2 carbon brushes that are soldered to a small circuit board, and one of the wires broke off where it was soldered.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Most generators are brushless today. The smaller ones might still have them. What size is it? Larger ones have a diode plate with no brushes. +1 on calling your dealer as he may know if this a common problem with your model and offer suggestions on troubleshooting.

NRA LIFE
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Moss Bluff
    It is a 5500 watt 7000 surge,I bought used after Rita.Has served me well till now.Local mower shop was no help.Will try to find a Powerboss dealer to call.I have taken the plate off the back and didn't see anything burned or corrsion,plan on taking the generator off the motor tommorrow.
    Thanks all for the input

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    I heard something about if everything looks good but no power it may need to be re-polarized? Something involving extention cords and light bulbs as I recall. I'm sure our friend google has the answer.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I heard something about if everything looks good but no power it may need to be re-polarized? Something involving extention cords and light bulbs as I recall. I'm sure our friend google has the answer.

Nope. I hope my suggestion works, as I'd get a kick in the pants if it did.

Plug in an electric drill, and spin the chuck by hand. If one direction doesn't work, spin it in the opposite direction. This should re-polarize the generator and let it produce power again.

Let me know if this works!!!

-Dave

dirk70301

Jack of all trades
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Thibodaux , LA
    I'm not sure if yours is like the John Deere generators , but every year around hurricane season customers brought their gens. to us with the same problem , for some reason or another they loose their magnetic feild from sitting up . We just had to field flash them . Absolutely nothing wrong with the generators , its just a matter of plugging the flasher into the 110v plug and turning on the switch . Do a google search for (generator flashing) . Hope this helps

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Pay the light bill and put the generator back in the shed. Just joking. Does it have an auto shut down if the oil gets low or heath up to hot? Check out the trouble shooting section in the manual. good luck with it.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    if flashing it didn't work and you see no visible burn spots on the windings i would bet its either the voltage regulator or brushes.(if it has brushes) my dads did the same thing after attempting to flash it with no luck i narrowed it down to the vr changed it out and it was good to go.

NRA LIFE
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Moss Bluff
    oil level is fine.tried while running and not,instructions online said to try while running.Next step is to take apart and check brushes,I do not have a owners manuel for a troubleshooting guide.Still going to try a few things not ready to give up yet

NRA LIFE
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Moss Bluff
    after alot closer inspection the capacitor appears to be bad,there is some swelling.I am going to try a new one.Did not see a part like #a6 on mine but looking for it is what lead me to pulling the capacitor to get it out of the way.when I grabbed it I could feel the swelling.Thanks Richard

NRA LIFE
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Moss Bluff
    Yes,it was the capacitor. $25 and it works fine now. not exactly sure of the purpose but it works now.I think it has something to do with consistency of the voltage.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom