generators

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Generac seems to be the lower end of standby generators; but they are definitely less expensive than most. I know a few people that have had good luck with them, and some that want them out of their yards. I did some research after Katrina and went with a Caterpillar. It was not cheap! But it has never failed! Not once!

It appears that one of the most important aspects of installing a standby is the hookup. Extremely important to get an electrician that knows what he is doing. If the unit itself is good to go, all your problems will be at the transfer switches/boxes.

Don't skimp on the installer!

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    If you get a generac, get a water cooled, 1800 rpm unit..

I personally have seen 3 portable racs fail, all due to bad heads.. but you may find it different.
    I would and DO run a chinese clone of a honda before a generac.. along with my real honda inverter

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    All the research I have done says NO to a Generac standby unit. The computer board is crap. I am going with a portable 12KW Subarau powered unit for my home.

Abu Josh

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Mandeville
    If you get a generac, get a water cooled, 1800 rpm unit..

I personally have seen 3 portable racs fail, all due to bad heads.. but you may find it different.
    I would and DO run a chinese clone of a honda before a generac.. along with my real honda inverter

Which ChiCom Honda clone are you talking about and where did you buy it from? I'm making my Christmas list right now. Thanks.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    What are your goals? Run a window unit and save the freezer or like you are still on regular power with 100% use of home appliances and central A/C? This dictates size and we can then give better recommendations.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Kohler is probably the best major generator manufacturer left in the U.S., used to be it was Onan, but in recent years since they were bought out by Cummins their quality has been slipping. Having said that in the last couple of years even Kohler has started some making some questionable choices when it comes to their lower end models, I suspect it is in a effort to be price competitive with some of the junk Generac is selling. (note Generac spends far more money on marketing than any other generator company, mostly implying they are the best).

A couple of features to look for when buying a stationary standby generator are 1800 rpm engines and brushless generator ends. I could go on to write a thousand words on the topic, but if you stick with Kohler, get an 1800 rpm brushless generator sized correctly for your needs you should be good for the next 20+ years.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    That is sort of an open ended question, like asking how much does a good car cost, do you want to buy new, or used, what fuel (propane, natural gas, or do you happen to live on a farm and maybe diesel is a better choice), how big of generator do you need, is it just to keep the food in the freezer cold and a few lights on, or do you want air conditioning too, maybe your in an all electric house and want to run a stove, well pump, water heater, etc.

JamesBlake

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    If I went with a whole house generator I would look at the possibility of running it w/o auto transfer switch. Have not researched this but I would prefer a manual switch. For the sake of less to go wrong.

Your codes may not even allow this, I am just stating a personal choice. I use manual with my portable , back feed the main through a manual Moulded case breaker.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    At 20KW (assuming this is properly sized, your right on the dividing line between Kohler's residential and their commerical product lines, the 20RESA which is rated at 18 KW on Natural gas or 20KW on Propane is powered by a 3600 rpm Kohbler branded 2 cylinder engine, not exactly what I would pick for long service life, spec sheet does not mention it being brushless either, not sure on memory if it is or is not. It appears they have discontinued their 1800 rpm 20K generator (they had one in the last year or two that was a distinct step up from the RESA model family (metal cabinet, 1800 rpm, brushless, etc.)

A 25 KW 25REZA from their industrial model line would be a CONSIDERABLE step up in quality from the residential 20RESA, the 25REZA is an 1800 rpm generator powered by a GM 4 cylinder 3.0L engine and is equiped with Kohlers highly regarded permanent magnet Fast Response II series brushless generator end. This unit will likely cost considerably more than 20RESA, but is in a whole different class, (think of the RESA as being powered by a large riding lawn mower egine and the REZA being powered by a small car engine)

You may also want to consider the 20KW Cummins Onan RS20 which is also an 1800 rpm powered by a 4 cylinder GM engine and has a brushless generator end (maybe not as good as the Kohler 25REZA, but close, certainly close enough to comparison shop).

Don't confuse the RS20 with the 3600 rpm RS20A / RS20AC the names may be close, but they are worlds apart

Ike

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    I ran one for five days after Isaac, the first three days nearly non-stop. Still purs like a kitten. If you treat her right (change the oil, use proper fuel, etc.) you should get your money's worth out of her.

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    I put in a GE a year ago and its great. The five year warranty is a plus also. The GE has the same vanguard motor thats on my gator trax, also a plus

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom