German k98.Best place to buy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Hello all.I haven't seemed to have alot of luck finding a german K98 rifle so I come here seeking advice. All of my local gun stores have suggested I look online for one.I'm a bit hesitant about getting one online as I can eb a bit old fashioned. Does anyone know of a place in the state I could get one and if not where is the best place online to buy.I've seen mitchells mausers but after reading some reviews I seem to gather that they are over priced.

I'll be using it as a re-enactment piece so I'd like to have one made during the war.Anyways thanks for your advice in advance forum.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Wow, started surfing around their website and quickly learned that my paycheck would have to have a few more zeros on it to shop there.

:)

~rc~

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I got my last 2 K98s off of GunsAmerica. The prices are outright sales. Like anything, if you are going to buy anything sight unseen make sure you talk a LOT to the person selling it to you. Figure on paying shipping and C&R/FFL fee of some type. I haven't seen any locally except at Cabellas, where they are selling "Sniper" 98s--for about 2400.00 and the damn things are MISMATCHED!!!!!! I'm not a big fan of Cabellas gun room. Don't know about the other guns there but these Mausers are way way way overpriced.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Mitchel is a rip off artist. They force match parts and manufacture "authentic" SS weapons. If you want a M24/47 go to Samco Global. https://www.samcoglobal.com/ They're selling the same Yugo M24/47'2 that Mitchell's is selling for less money. Plus b/c they have not been totally refurbished they'll retain more value down the road.

I have a 98k and a M24/47. They're both really great guns. You might even be able to get away with a M24/47 for a re-enactment. You'd have to check with those guys. The 98k's are a large ring Mauser action and the Yugo m24/47's are intermediate ringed actions. But they look a lot alike and I think that some of them were actually used buy the Wehrmacht. I'd start by looking at www.gunboards.com in the forums. They have collectors forums for German Mausers and other Mausers. Ask them what they think of Mitchell's if you have time. :)

Dave

Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Ha and now that I know that I won't be ordering from mitchell.mitchell is what my local gun shop suggested.I'm in the alexandria area. SO it looks like I'm going to have to get it transferred to a local gun store. which is a new process for me.Thank you for all the advice though

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Be careful buying k98's from people on gunbroker for example. There's so much money to made by faking them that they're killing the market. Just go online buy a Waffenamt (Waffen chicken), a Totenkopf and the number metal stamps. Then you too can be like Mitchells and force match yourself into an all matching Waffen SS issued k98. Triple your money too. So be careful and buy from reputable people. There's a lot of people taking advantage right now.

Dave

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Well I've bought a couple of rifles from Allan. His stuff is exactly what he says it is. No bull flop. So yes, based on my experiences I'd recommend him.

Besides even the Russian capture k98's are starting to get expensive right now. But the RC k98's ARE all WW2 manufacture. My RC 98k has no two parts that have the same serial number unless you count the electro penciled one's the Russian's gave it. But it has Waffenamt's. Sauer made both the barrel and the receiver they just didn't come originally mounted to each other. And the barrel's in pretty good shape dark grooves but nice shiny lands. Although to be honest that took a LOT of Sweet's, JB Bore paste, and Outer's Foul out. It shoots pretty darn well.

My point here is that if the German's didn't insist on obsessively putting serial numbers on EVERY stahl (german for steel :) my idea of a joke.) part along with Waffen chickens you wouldn't necessarily know that the rifle was a total mix master. By way of example my M1903A3 was made by Remington in 1943. I have no idea if someone replaced the front sling swivel. As long as it's blued with an "R" stamped on it no one would ever know. The Germans put the last three of the weapon's serial number on the corresponding part for the k98. So now everyone knows that it's not original.

So for carrying and using in re-enactments if I was involved with them. I personally would save the VERY expensive all matching German k98 for the house and carry an inexpensive RC in the field.

Dave

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Well I've bought a couple of rifles from Allan. His stuff is exactly what he says it is. No bull flop. So yes, based on my experiences I'd recommend him.

Besides even the Russian capture k98's are starting to get expensive right now. But the RC k98's ARE all WW2 manufacture. My RC 98k has no two parts that have the same serial number unless you count the electro penciled one's the Russian's gave it. But it has Waffenamt's. Sauer made both the barrel and the receiver they just didn't come originally mounted to each other. And the barrel's in pretty good shape dark grooves but nice shiny lands. Although to be honest that took a LOT of Sweet's, JB Bore paste, and Outer's Foul out. It shoots pretty darn well.

My point here is that if the German's didn't insist on obsessively putting serial numbers on EVERY stahl (german for steel :) my idea of a joke.) part along with Waffen chickens you wouldn't necessarily know that the rifle was a total mix master. By way of example my M1903A3 was made by Remington in 1943. I have no idea if someone replaced the front sling swivel. As long as it's blued with an "R" stamped on it no one would ever know. The Germans put the last three of the weapon's serial number on the corresponding part for the k98. So now everyone knows that it's not original.

So for carrying and using in re-enactments if I was involved with them. I personally would save the VERY expensive all matching German k98 for the house and carry an inexpensive RC in the field.

Dave
    Good info, Dave, however, if I'm not mistaken, the waffenampt stamps are inspector stamps , not the last three serial numbers. They are a very good indicator to authenticity,but like you said, easily faked. I bought some trigger housing lock screws off of fleabay with the proper numbers a few years ago, but must likely were stamped after the fact, but who knows and I'm not trying to pass my 98k off as anything more than a battlefield relic so I don't really care. ;)

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Amen on the RCs going up. I remember paying 125.00 for mine about 10 years ago! Anyway, they are great for the purpose of just plain shooting or for re-enacting. I got mine thinking I might do some re-enacting myself but didn't have the time. You might even ask for a "select" grade rifle with fewer electropenciled stuff or fewer peened swastikas. I went on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica and was shocked at how FEW K98s were on either sight. Seems like not long ago the market was over flowing with the RC rifles...now not so much. Sounds like Allan's is a good place to get one, and at 320.00 or so I think its a fair price--I say GO FOR IT!

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I don't have much to add to this conversation other then the fact that I read different magazines and boards and most seem to agree that Mitchell's is a bit overpriced. But I have to admit that the pictures in the ads make the guns look really nice.

~rc~

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You're right the waffenampt is just a stamp that shows the part was accepted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffenamt

But in addition to that mark they also stamped the serial numbers into each part as it was assembled. The Russian's only marked a few places in addition to the receiver. The British (SMLE and MkIV)only marked the receiver, the nose piece, and the barrel sometimes a unit armorer would also mark the magazine (going by memory only I could be forgetting a spot.) The Japanese (Type 99) marked the receiver the barrel, the bolt body, the striker, and sometimes the dust jacket with serial numbers. The American's on the 1903a3 only marked the receiver and nothing else. This is in addition to any acceptance marks that the weapon might've received.

Dave

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    You're right the waffenampt is just a stamp that shows the part was accepted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffenamt

But in addition to that mark they also stamped the serial numbers into each part as it was assembled. The Russian's only marked a few places in addition to the receiver. The British (SMLE and MkIV)only marked the receiver, the nose piece, and the barrel sometimes a unit armorer would also mark the magazine (going by memory only I could be forgetting a spot.) The Japanese (Type 99) marked the receiver the barrel, the bolt body, the striker, and sometimes the dust jacket with serial numbers. The American's on the 1903a3 only marked the receiver and nothing else. This is in addition to any acceptance marks that the weapon might've received.

Dave
    Gotta love that German attention to detail! ;)
    My RC 98k is such a mishmash of sn#'s I just love her for the little tramp she is! SHe still shoots < 1.5" @ 100yds so I'll take that over an uber-$$ number match any day. (well maybe not, but... ;))

Top Bottom