German sig p220 complete breakdown/refurbish

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Albatross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    North Central, Louisiana
    Hello,
    I thought that with the large quantity of U.S. and German made Sig Sauer P220's available nowadays that this info may be interesting to some of you buying these. Most are L.E. and Government Agency trade in's. And unless you are lucky enough to get one from a LE or GA that was a veteran or just fanatical about his or her weapon upkeep, most have never been completely disassembled. I have carried the Sig P220 in combat, in the private sector and is my everyday carry weapon still today. In my opinion and 99.9% of gunsmiths and veterans the Sig P220 is the finest, most dependable, durable and accurate .45 ACP sidearms ever made.
    I bought this German Sig P220R from a member on the falfiles for just over $400 shipped. the weapon cycled perfect and accurate within a couple of inches at 25-30 yards. I will be adding photos from beginning to end, including new parts and cerakoteing. I will be glad to answer any questions about this refurbish project. The biggest difference in the German and U.S. made versions are in the slide, and again in MY opinion the quality of the metals and tolerances.
    Travis

Albatross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    North Central, Louisiana
    German Sig P220R as received.
    qygkOc3l.jpg

Lixw77Sl.jpg

Albatross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    North Central, Louisiana
    Ok, I soaked all metal parts in lacquer thinner over night, this morning I used a small brass wire brush to clean all parts and laid all out to dry. The slide and lower I soaked in hot water and dawn dish washing liquid, rinsed them off and placed both in a 6 qt. pot of boiling water for 20 minutes, then back into the dawn/water bowl,( this opens the porous metals up releasing years of oil) rinsed with cool water. used scotchbrite to scuff over both. I will hit the lower with a small piece of 400 grit wet/dry paper,to smooth out small dings around mag well, trigger guard and rail.
    Now to wait out this crazy Louisiana weather to spray some Cerakote. I will be using the C-series, which is an air dry formula, but I still flash bake it for 10 minutes or so at 200 degrees. Cerakote C-246 FLAT DARK EARTH.
    Travis
    EYavIYpl.jpg

8XW9c19l.jpg

Albatross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    North Central, Louisiana
    New replacement parts and accessories.
    New spring kits for both:
    ztqtHrtl.jpg

New German made barrels, I have 3 left, still deciding wheather or not to use them since both where accurate and look great. Not to mention they are hard to find.
    New Trijicon SG-03 green/green tritium night sights for both.
    nqJ7fYtl.jpg

New streamlight TLR-1 HL 800 lumen light
    wRl2BPMl.jpg

And new Hogue G-10 Tan Piranha(DAK model I will mill the contour for the decocker
    LGpRD0ol.jpg

Albatross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    North Central, Louisiana
    Refurbish completed. $415 for the pistol, $425 in new parts including a new Streamlight TLR-1 HL in FDE (that didn't match as close as I hoped), grips,Trijicon sights, spring kit, and Cerakote. 30 hrs. of time invested.

I did learn a new trick on installing tight fitting sights, especially on a Cerakoted or Duracoated slide, without scratching your slide. I placed my sights in the freezer for a couple of hours to contract them, and warmed my slide in the oven for a few minutes. This makes a world of difference in a clean installation.
    lfp7Scsl.jpg

3xBQqMvl.jpg

nbOUxMUl.jpg

Albatross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    North Central, Louisiana
    That's really nice. Just a regular spray can Cerakote? Or you have a professional setup?
    I have never seen Cerakote in a spray can, just Duracoat. I have a professional set-up, soda blaster, air brush, and curing oven. Cerakote also offers a C-series air cure, that I used on this gun, but I still flash baked it for 20 minutes. The C-Series withstands more heat and doesn't chip like the H and M series.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom