Getting better with my 17L: range report

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    Buddy wanted to go shoot my pistol after we'd done some work at his house so we went to academy and bought 100rds.

We each shot 3 magazines; the first 2 magazines were at 5yds, the third magazine was at 10yds.

Here are the results!

1st magazine I decided to try a grouping around my 1st shot, the last 2 were aimed at the head intentionally. Not too great a grouping, but it was my warmup:
    2vskpjp.jpg

2nd magazine at 5yds, I decided to shoot as his heart because I realized that I shot at the wrong side of the target's chest :rofl:. This grouping was much better! The 1st shot is the round WAY outside of the rest of the group:
    14c5uvo.jpg

We used marking to indicate which shots were with which magazines. My buddy felt more confident as well and had a damn good showing with his 2nd grouping:
    ff1z7r.jpg

Lastly, we walked back to 10yds for our 3rd magazines because we clearly felt confident with how we did at 5yds. We were also excited about the challenge it would present since it's twice the distance and close to 25'.

I decided to send another 15 rounds at my previous grouping (it was his heart again) and saved the last 2 rds for his head, which both hit :D
    jrqhdc.jpg

I'm really starting to do a fair job at shooting. Not as tight of groupings as I want to see, but I'm still very happy with how the day turned out. I also am shooting quicker and not having to spend 15+ seconds to line my sights up and properly aquire my target.

In all, it was an awesome day for me and probably my best outing ever. The silohuettes are AMAZING to shoot at and I felt that they, along with my consistent practice, really helped with the shooting today. Not bad for my 5th time out with the gun, and only my 7th time shooting a pistol.

Here's a post range pic with my DSLR that shows the lines marking where I should have been aiming, and it's good to see that only a handful of rds were outside of that :eek3:
    1213808.jpg

I now feel confident enough that if I need to protect/defend myself, that I'm capable of doing that between 5-10yds :cool:

Top Bottom