Getting into primitive

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    I've been wanting to do this for a long while, so I might as well start practicing. I'll probably get my rig used; but for a beginner, what do you suggest I should look at getting? I'm going to start my research online, but thought I'd hit it up here.

jorawil

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    B.R.,La.
    You will enjoy this. Are you looking for a long bow or recurve? The older Bear recurves are great bows. It takes a good bit more skill than shooting a compound bow. I always liked hunting this way better. I was always felt it was much more sporting. A lot of hunters are more interested in just killing, not the skill of it.
    Good luck,
    jorawil

Sorry did not notice post was a year old.

Last edited:

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    What's a "normal" lifespan of a traditional bow? Occassionally I'll run across an old recurve for sale, but am not sure if it would hold up to the stresses of stringing and launching arrows after years of storage. Any way to tell if an older bow is up to it? Also, what's the best way to store a traditional bow to keep it from warping? I'm much more into firearms than archery, but my interest in traditional bows and arrows has always been there.

Anyone in the southern part of the state seriously into making his own traditional bows and arrows, including knapping stone points?

Last edited:

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    I thought this was about primitive firearms such as 444 or 45-70 since that was my dilemma for deer this winter but I am equally interested on used bows. Seen a few at Academy online for under $300. Bear was the brand.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    The thing about used recurves is that you'll need to inspect it for de-lamination of the limbs and maybe have someone draw it and inspect the limbs for any stress cracks.

If you don't have a fairly strong upper body strength you should look for a draw weight in the 30 or 40 pound range to start with. There are some traditional bows that will have a draw weight of 40, 50, 60 and 70 pounds but unlike compounds they have no cams or wheels that reduce the holding weight. So when you shoot a traditional bow you'd have better have what you want to shoot in your line of sight because you will not want to hold it for a long time.

Crap.. this was an old thread resurrected. :rofl:

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom