getting ready to do some metal roof work. non slip footwear? screw size?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    i need some non slip footwear. any ideas?

im gonna change all the screws cause they are rusty and the seal ring(?) is starting to disintegrate on some screws.

one person tells me to get a bigger size screw to replace the old ones. another person says put some glue or sealant on the same size new screws.

if you vote for sealant or glue, what kind or brand?

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    I did the roof on my porch in galvanized aluminum and my regular tennis shoes seems to grip enough to walk around. Something with a rubber sole would probably be fine.

As far as the screws, they sell special metal roofing screws that come with a rubber gasket on them. Just don't over tighten them breaking the gasket and you're good to go. My local lumber supply had them.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Chuck Taylor's a shot of hairspray every 30 minutes helps too.
    A large 2'x2' foam pad grips well if you need to kneel especially working edges.
    Same size roofing screws with rubber washer.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Last edited:

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    its a white roof. a bit steep imo. i will put screws with the gasket but im thinking of adding a dab of some sort of roof sealant to the screw or maybe the hole incase the hole gets stripped. or maybe wood glue?

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    When you are replacing the screws on a metal roof its best to go with a larger screw.Is there any visible rust around the screws?If so then you may need some extra sealant or a rust inhibitor.You want to make sure you get the right screw because its easy to get the wrong kind and they will work there way out and leak.It takes different screws on the deck verses putting just sheet metal together like on the ribs.Do not over drive your washers or it will leak.When replacing the screws do not do too many at one time.I like to have 2 drills running with one taking out and one putting in.If you remove too many and your roof is built on purlins it will lay over on you and you will have a bad day.As for staying up there to work,Get some foam couch cushion and a rope long enough to reach over the ridge and down both sides then tie them off so you will have a rope for safety.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    "Is there any visible rust around the screws?If so then you may need some extra sealant or a rust inhibitor."

yes. all of them are rusted. sealant where the new screw meets the metal roof?

"You want to make sure you get the right screw because its easy to get the wrong kind and they will work there way out and leak."

"It takes different screws on the deck verses putting just sheet metal together like on the ribs."

where can i go buy new screws from someone who knows these things?

one screw out, new screw in. got it.

Top Bottom