Give me input on Ruger 10/22 Upgrades

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boothkicker

Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    West Monroe, LA
    I've been wanting a Ruger 10/22 for a little while and told myself that I would buy one if I cam across a good deal. I bought one from a friend the other day that is all black with boat paddle stock.

Would like to get a wood stock for it and I'm currently considering one offered to me from a BSer.

It does not have any kind of extended magazine release and it's awkward to release the mag. Therefore the extended release is already saved in my Brownells cart. ( http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/magazine-releases/speed-magazine-release-sku100005455-41389-62647.aspx )

I'm also going to modify the bolt catch so it will release automatically. Again, pretty awkward that it doesn't come factory.

I was looking/reading about the bolt stop pin replacement that basically replaces the factory metal one with a polymer type to reduce wear and metal-to-metal "clink". ( http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-buffers/10-22-recoil-buffer-sku071110006-306-1425.aspx )

I'm not going to dump much money into the gun (not for now at least).

Any other suggestions for me before I place my order?

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    They are worse than ARs it's nearly impossible to stop. What are your plans? Just a few upgrades are hard to stop at. A trigger upgrade is a must along with the mods you mentioned. Checkout rimfirecenteral.com for a wealth of knowledge and options. VQ, Tactical Solutions and Kidd make outstanding products for the 10/22.
    Offhand
    IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

Target
    guns008.jpg

guns002.jpg

Backpacker
    gunapprasial020.jpg

Last edited:

MOJO@AKLYS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    B.R.
    First Off I am interested in the stock if you let it go.

Make an auto bolt release, a bolt buffer, a power custom sear and hammer, power custom mag release...

Or A ZK-22 stock!!!

Boothkicker

Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    West Monroe, LA
    Thanks all for the feedback.

@3fifty7 - That green rifle looks awesome. I do eventually want to get another barrel

@MOFO - I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell it. In some Google research, it seems that the boat stock is a "find"?

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    i haven't tried the Nordic mag release but i do have TacSol version and i like it VERY much. it's very slick and convenient. an extended bolt charging handle is very nice, i forgot who made mine, i know it's not Power Custom but its similar. replacing the bolt buffer would be a good upgrade as well.

for the auto bolt release, you can either dremel it out or by the VQ kit. VQ makes one that comes w/ the hammer and auto bolt release. if you have a newer Ruger 10/22, you may just need the hammer upgrade and not the trigger upgrade. i noticed a huge difference between my old ruger 10/22 and my new one. the pull weight on the old one was about 7# and the new one was 4.5# but w/ the VQ upgrade, it brought it down to 3#.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Just spend the $$$ and purchase a Timney trigger group.

It'll make the trigger light, crisp & smooth AND it already has a lever style mag release built it. It's literally plug & play and is the absolute first thing that should be added to factory rifle (if you feel the need. They're pretty darned great rifles as is!)

Look here: http://www.eabco.com/Timney1022.htm

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Go to Rimfirecentral.com as others have suggested. Find a fellow called Que. Send him your barrel and bolt. Then find a sponsor named Brimstone. Sent him your trigger group. Bed and pillar it all in your friend's wood stock.

You'll have a real sleeper capable of MOA @ 50 yards when your done.

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    1 of my 10/22s was sent to Clark's Custom Guns and had their match chamber and trigger job done to it. It is a little nicer to shoot than the stock one, but I really need some better glass to really see what it is capable of.

Top Bottom