Given a pistol from deceased relative, next step

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheFraz

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    I was recently given a pistol that belonged to my wife's grandfather. I have no paperwork for it. Is there anything I need to do to posses it legally? I don't want to have it taken away if I get stopped on my way to and from the gun range.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Unless the relative lived and owned the gun in a different state, you don't have to do anything. I am always amazed when this question pops up, and I hear it often. I wonder why so many people think guns need to be registered.

Rebeldave

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Springfield la
    Unless the relative lived and owned the gun in a different state, you don't have to do anything. I am always amazed when this question pops up, and I hear it often. I wonder why so many people think guns need to be registered.
    because of tv and movies the police always ask if your gun is registred

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I would keep the serial # and document stating the date you received it and from who and maybe a photograph. Just for my own records incase it was ever stolen. (Maybe notarized if you feel up to it)

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    Cochise

Unless the relative lived and owned the gun in a different state, you don't have to do anything.

You have me curious...what if it was owned in a different state?

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    You have me curious...what if it was owned in a different state?

Federally, long guns can be transferred across state lines without any paper work provided you are in compliance with both states laws.

Normally, handguns have to be transferred through an FFL when going across state lines, but there might be exception for legally inherited handguns..... that part I'm not sure about.

Still, pop may have given you his trophy WW2 Luger before you moved out of the state right?

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I would keep the serial # and document stating the date you received it and from who and maybe a photograph. Just for my own records incase it was ever stolen. (Maybe notarized if you feel up to it)

Perhaps take a photo of it with you in it and date it in some manner.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    "And with whom, officer, would I register my gun?"

You know, since you're a celebrity and have your own radio show, maybe you should invite NOPD Superintendent Serpas onto your show. Maybe you can talk to him and point out some of the issues his agency has regarding citizens and their firearms and possibly work towards a solution that would benefit everyone?

Just a thought because I'm sure he isn't reading this thread right now. Just think, if you have him on and these issues get resolved, you can tell everyone how you singlehandedly solved the problem. It would be much better than complaining here.

JR1572

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You know, since you're a celebrity and have your own radio show, maybe you should invite NOPD Superintendent Serpas onto your show. Maybe you can talk to him and point out some of the issues his agency has regarding citizens and their firearms and possibly work towards a solution that would benefit everyone?

Just a thought because I'm sure he isn't reading this thread right now. Just think, if you have him on and these issues get resolved, you can tell everyone how you singlehandedly solved the problem. It would be much better than complaining here.

JR1572
    Smartest thing i read all day.
    Positive input and info is the best way, since they have so many that just take a guess.

Top Bottom