Glass bedding tips

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D_behrnes

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    Zachary
    Alright so I’m about to try my first glass bed/epoxy bed do y’all have any tips on how to do it to the best ability. What should I do to prevent air pockets how deep should I shave it around the action so that the epoxy has a strong base etc. things of that nature. It will be on a wooden stock so I do plan on pillar bedding in the near future. Should I put the pillars in first or does it matter?

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Do it all at the same time, pillars and epoxy. Tape the front and sides of the recoil lug, not the back so that the barreled action comes free from the stock easily. I use Johnson Floor wax as the release agent on all the metal. I've heard Hornady One Shot works too. Robert Gradious sell something by the can that he says is the best. You could call and get him to send you one. Devcon 10110 is what I use but Marine Tex works too for epoxy. I fill the trigger area and magazine area with Play-doh so epoxy doesn't get in there. Wrap around the barrel in 2 places, one in front of the lug a few inches and another toward the front of the stock. Wrap it to where the barrel will free float be just barely above the natural place in the barrel channel that it wants to sit. I also cut the heads off of some long 1/4" x 28 hex head bolts so that I could thread them into the barreled action and drop them through the stock when placing the barreled action into the epoxy. Tape those screws like you did on the barrel to ensure that the screws will just barely go through the holes in the stock and in the pillars. What this does is make sure the action is straight in line with the holes in the pillars and the action is not canted. I put Johnson wax on that too to make sure if any epoxy gets on them it wont stick. All of the taping and fitment needs to be done prior to mixing any epoxy.

A good job is all about taping correctly and lining everything up before you actually bed anything. It should take about an hour to fit and tape everything and about 10 min to actually do the bedding. Wait about 30 -45 minutes after you have bedding it before trying to clean up anything that squeezes out. It is much easier if you let it get a bit tacky than trying to do it right away. A mill can clean things up nicely when done. If not a dremel works but won't look the best. But you won't see any of that unless you pull the barreled action out of the stock.

Oh and if this is magazine feed then the length of the pillars is important for proper feeding. Don't just slap them in and call it good.

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    281wvns.jpg

2w73hw8.jpg

2gudppe.jpg

2duc7rt.jpg

2qitg0i.jpg