Glock-17 POA/POI

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Good info. I did order a new .215 and .225 today. I am using a very thin front right now and thinking my shooting left may be from that big gap on each side of the post messing with my eyes.

As for width, I found I did not like using a .100 wide front. A .115 or .125 front worked best for me with that .150 rear notch.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Glock's shoot poa/poi out of the box with plastic sights. I would invest in training from a good instructor who can diagnose you. Trust me, i've been down this road already.

Give him some credit man, he was at the last AG class. :D

I would bench the gun and/or let someone else shoot it to verify it's a hardware problem.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    How often have you seen a Glock need a taller front sight because of the gun and not the shooter?

I am going by the sights you described on the pistol and knowing you are not new to Glocks. As stated earlier the non OEM barrel and type of ammunition used could be a small part of the 4"high factor and I suppose you are going to use the same barrel and ammunition. I actually prefer a SLIGHTLY higher POI as my POI normally goes slightly lower when shooting fast and moving but I do not want to shoot a pistol that is off by 4" at 20 yards. I like KKM barrels. On a stock Glock using a taller front sight with the standard height rear Would Not be very common.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I shoot my G-26 POA and POI is dead on at 25yards.

If it turns out to be the KKM I will post a pic of me cutting it up!!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

If you want to try an OEM barrel in your pistol as it is set up let me know when you are available in the BR area.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If you want to try an OEM barrel in your pistol as it is set up let me know when you are available in the BR area.

I still have mine. It just never even crossed my mind that it could be the KKM but the more I think about I realize that it could be.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Shooting left is caused by the shooter NOT leaving an air gap with their trigger finger, most people like to drag the finger on the frame hence the term "frame drag" , the finger should be courved. Lets face it males use that same technique while scratching body parts so I don't see why they pretend like its something new :)

If you cannot slide a pen in between the finger and the frame you are doing it wrong

Also if you are shooting high you are heeling it, them again you shoot competition a lot so you are not new to guns so it could very well be tht you are not used to the specific sights. I try to keep the same sights on all of my guns

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    If I shoot my beretta alot and then go back to the G19 it will always be left and alittle high. Tends to straighten out in a few mags. Hope the sights fix the problem!

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Lance, I've seen you shoot accurately so I know you are capable. I would get it on a bench first and then have someone else shoot it. I went through 3 different front sights to get my CZ shooting exactly where I wanted. I think everyone has a different idea of where the front sight should sit in relationship to the target. I apparently needed a taller sight than everyone else that I got recommendations from.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Actually it is a very accurate diagnostic tool... if you're shooting with your right hand only. :D

I know that offends your sense of propriety, but I do seem to recall some one-hand-only stages at the last few matches I attended... ;)

But you're right, of course... anybody trying to diagnose a two-handed shooter using that pie chart is gonna be urinating in a hurricane.

That's definitely a big part of it-- hence my Bullseye reference in the original flame about it.

However, my main gripe is that it doesn't account AT ALL for seeing-- which is without question one of the biggest parts of shooting accurately. You can have the best trigger control in the world, but if your sight alignment is incorrect, the round can quite literally go anywhere.

It's also rather limiting in the scope of what causes the hits. Yes, it certainly gives the most likely culprit-- but there are countless ways to disrupt your sights (even SHO) that aren't mentioned.

The chart swamper shared is VASTLY better, and I just printed off several copies for my own personal consumption. Someone put some time into that thing-- and obviously some time on the trigger to figure it all out.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

No, seriously-- it's not actually a problem with the barrel, or a problem at all (other than the aggravation of course).

You can literally EXPECT that type of shift when you start swapping out components-- even if you have the perfect example of a G17 and KKM barrel. None of these things are identical, and some shift when you're changing major components should be expected. Nature of the beast, or part of the fun-- depends on how you look at it!

My KKM drop in for my M&P shifted POI higher, now that I think about it-- but it was an improvement over the factory barrel, my load and my sight combo. In fact, it was dead-nuts POA/POI @25 yards, so I got lucky! (Factory was about 2" low.)

It'll be cheaper to replace the front sight than to scrap the barrel, and you'll have the benefit of both. True, it's going to adjust your NPA (i.e. wrist cant) some-- but 4" @ 20 yards is a very minor adjustment in that department. And the more aggressive cocking will mean you'll return your sights faster once you get used to it!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I have an OEM Barrel you can borrow ad I'd be happy to take that crappy KKM barrel off your hands.

I still have a brand new OEM barrel. The only reason I got the KKM is because I wanted to shoot lead. I may just order another aftermarket barrel to try out.

If I get rid of the KKM I will let ya know.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    OK Im lost as hell:
    I took OFF my .215 Tall x .105 Wide Fiber Optic Inserted Front Sight and replaced it with a .215 Tall x .125 Wide Black Serrated Front Sight and now its shooting POA/POI.

How could that have changed anything?

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    OK Im lost as hell:
    I took OFF my .215 Tall x .105 Wide Fiber Optic Inserted Front Sight and replaced it with a .215 Tall x .125 Wide Black Serrated Front Sight and now its shooting POA/POI.

How could that have changed anything?

Were you using the dot of the fiber optic to line up with instead of the top of the post? Or did you compare them to see if they were actually the same size? They could have bagged one wrong.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Either one of the sights isn't advertised height, or the F/O was messing you up.

I checked myself they are .215 could have been the F/O.

Were you using the dot of the fiber optic to line up with instead of the top of the post? Or did you compare them to see if they were actually the same size? They could have bagged one wrong.

I know to use the top of the front and the rear. The sides and top of that front was so thin I could have been just doing some crazy stuff.

It was getting dark on me and I only shot out to 15 yards so I will test it more this weekend and post how it goes. Thanks for all the help yall.

Top Bottom