Glock 22 Hangup

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I was at the range last weekend and my Glock 22 hung up on me. To be specific the slide
    stayed back and didn't cycle the next round. I had to bump it to make it cycle. It did this
    at least two times every time. Only had one mag with me so I didn't get to test a different mag.
    I was told it was probably the spring being wore out in that particular mag. It would make sense
    because it is my home defense pistol so that mag typically stays loaded down. How often should
    you unload your mags to prevent this from happening? What worries me is that if I ever needed it
    for it's intended purpose(god forbid) that it would have this same malfunction.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Was the gun clean? Was this reloaded ammo? Also, did the slide lock back like the mag went empty or would it just not take the next round? We need more information and pics would have been a little helpful.

Beauxdog

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    The gun was clean. I had to bump it into battery. Not reloads, i was firing off some old ammo. It was federal hydra-shok jacketed hollow points.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Point the gun to the ceiling. Pull the trigger and hold it to the rear. With the trigger held to the rear, rack the slide and ride it forward slowly. If it won't go into battery under the power of the spring like that then its time to change it.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have some questions:

How old is the gun? If you don't know, post the first 3 letters of the serial number and I can give you the month and year.

What's the round count? Some experts recommend that the RSA should be changed every 3K rounds.

There is a big thread on another forum I frequent regarding issues with Glock 22's.

JR1572

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Thanks for the advice guys. I was out of pocket yesterday. When I get home this evening I will try your recommendation jmcrawf1. JR1572, I will also post the 3 of the
    serial.

Thanks!

Tate

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    You're saying the slide locks back, is the slide lock slipping into place? It sounds like a slide lock spring needs replacing. You'll know because the lock lever will be loose and won't retain in the down position.

Also, I can't see how the magazine spring would keep the slide back.

Last edited:

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Is your pistol a G3 or G4? Also, is this happening with all of your magazines or with just one particular magazine?

JR1572

It's happening with just one that I know of. I only had one with me when I was at the range. I will be going back this weekend and bringing all 3 mags with me.
    Its a G4

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    It's happening with just one that I know of. I only had one with me when I was at the range. I will be going back this weekend and bringing all 3 mags with me.
    Its a G4

Is the magazine the same as all of the others?

Is there a number on the magazine follower?

JR1572

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I just read on m4carbine.net that hammering the slide lock in can cause premature slide lock back. I didn't "hammer" so to speak
    but I did use the back of my knife with a few pops to get the pin in. Might have been just enough to mess it up. Damn.

jquinnett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Try a new mag AND put the old slide lock back on and see if you have the problem. I had a G22 and the slide lock spring popped out from under the pin, made it a single shot pistol.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I think Tfurn30 and jquinett are both referring to the slide stop and not the slide lock.
    Slide lock is in front of the trigger and slide stop in behind the trigger. Slide stop pin is above the trigger.

Top Bottom