Glock 33rd mag for home defense?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brand0n5o4

OFFICER PLZ
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Metairie
    I was wondering if that would be a good idea. I have many glocks, 5 different glocks to be exact, and i have over 20mags per gun (dont ask why, it just makes me happy knowing i have that much...) but recently ive started buying a few 33rd mags for both .40 and 9mm versions. I usually keep about 15 of my G23 mags loaded full capacity with PDX1 for when SHTF. But I was thinking, why not save having all those mags loaded and load up a few 30 rounders and save space while having more ammo at the same time. What do you guys think of this concept? Also, since the 33/30 rd mags are longer, would it hurt the spring if i kept it fully loaded for say.... 1-2 years?

*didnt know where this would be appropriate to post...but since im military (marine corps), i figured why not here to get answers from my fellow people.*

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I don't think it's a good idea, way to much hanging out the bottom to snag/ hit/bump into if you need to fire from weird positions, and the ones I've seen being used were not as reliable

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    Agreed, just think of that mag sticking out as a nice handle for someone other than you in close quarters and getting surprised or mildly startled in your home means you will very likely be in uncomfortably close quarters.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'd actually rather 2 17rd mags than a single 33rd mag. All mags can fail, spares aren't just for extra ammo. I keep my nightstand 19 loaded with a 17rd mag, with an additional 17rd mag next to it. If I ever have to grab my pistol you better believe I'm shoving that spare in my undies. :D

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    I could have gone all day without that visual :rofl: but it is a very valid point for when the 33rd novelty mag doesn't feed.

An added point...modern metallurgy means "spring compression" is a problem that doesn't exist if you are buying quality magazines.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    33 round Glock 18 mag + prosecutor + media + jury = bad juju in court if you actually have to use it.

Come on, it's home defense. I have two handguns within reach and 3 steps or 7 steps to a rifle depending if the situation is dire enough to jump over my wife (son in danger).

Best bet is use your normal capacity mags, have extra, get everyone in a secure room with good view of the door and
    Bunker down. If you need 33 rounds you are ****ed.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'd actually rather 2 17rd mags than a single 33rd mag. All mags can fail, spares aren't just for extra ammo. I keep my nightstand 19 loaded with a 17rd mag, with an additional 17rd mag next to it. If I ever have to grab my pistol you better believe I'm shoving that spare in my undies. :D

Is it me or did you just admit to wearing tighty whities? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Only had one factory glock 33rd mag that had problems. All the rest are flawless. The 33rd mags are not novelty mags, but are OEM factory mags made for the Glock 18 which was not designed to be a novelty gun.

IMO the extra weight of the 33rd mag makes it easier to shoot. Really 17+1 rounds is a lot but with 33+1 it's a whole new level where the idea of running out becomes pretty frivolous.

Sure if you "need" 33 rounds you're "****ed" but if you ever "need" your gun inside your home you're just as "****ed."

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I use a 33 round Glock magazine in my primary home defense gun.

It's a 3rd gen Glock 22 frame + Mech Tech 9mm upper with a 27" overall length.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Only had one factory glock 33rd mag that had problems. All the rest are flawless. The 33rd mags are not novelty mags, but are OEM factory mags made for the Glock 18 which was not designed to be a novelty gun.

IMO the extra weight of the 33rd mag makes it easier to shoot. Really 17+1 rounds is a lot but with 33+1 it's a whole new level where the idea of running out becomes pretty frivolous.

Sure if you "need" 33 rounds you're "****ed" but if you ever "need" your gun inside your home you're just as "****ed."

Unless you actually own a model 18, it's a novelty.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Unless you actually own a model 18, it's a novelty.

No, it isn't.

We could have a semantics argument but it would be moot. Your argument would also suggest that a Glock 17 magazine is a novelty if you do not own a Glock 17. Really anything is a novelty if it is new to you. However the Glock 18 mag is a real magazine designed with a real purpose and is not merely decorative or somehow less-than-functional.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's not a novelty any more than a 40rd or 60rd carbine mag is. They have real uses for certain applications.

For home/personal defense, I'm just not a fan of putting all of my eggs in one basket. And I'll bet most people with a 33rd mag stuck in their home defense gun don't think they need a spare.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    attributed to Clint Smith:

"The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down."

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight. ...I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

"They say you can’t use a rifle or shotgun indoors because a bad guy will grab the barrel. Yeah? Well, he better hang on, ‘cause I’m gonna light him up and it’ll definitely be an "E" ticket ride."

"The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.... "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?" - 'No ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

however, he also said:

"Shoot what’s available, as long as it’s available, until something else becomes available."

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Hey you guys asked.

There is a reason you don't see those in law enforcement, training, or pro shooting circles.

But good luck to you guys.

Last edited:

brand0n5o4

OFFICER PLZ
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Metairie
    i always thought in the back of my head that since the 33rd mags are larger and the springs are longer, it would hurt the mags if i kept it loaded, but if you are saying no, then say hello to my new bedsider. also gona put the other 8 33rd mags that i have in a survival/shtf pack with gold dots fully loaded. haha

i also have 20 g19 mags fully loaded so it wouldnt matter..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom