Glock 34 vs xdm 5.25

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    You have to be more careful and clean more often but lots of people shoot lead from Glock Barrels.

I certainly do. I'm careful with my loads and I don't neglect cleaning it every couple hundred rounds of lead.

I'm much Less careful with Bayou Bullets than with regular cast lead. Those things are great!

As for the Xdm /g34 debate, I'm solidly in the glock camp. I've never seen an LCI fail but I've read about it, and the grip safety is superfluous at best. Not a great firearm worth a lot of money IMO.

Sks985

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Slidell
    Although I'm still torn between the two, I'm now leaning towards the 34. Does anyone know a shop (near Slidell) that has one I can rent?

Or does someone with a 34 want to go to the range?....I'll bring the ammo!

Turn Key

Stuck up North
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sks985 I recommend the Glock 34 in a Gen 3 model. **Also don't rule out the Glock 17.

A huge plus is that Glock parts are available at all quality online vendors and there are a ton of certified Glock Armorers in most every decent city.

That Grip Safety and design of the Loaded Chamber Indicator prevent the Xd from being credible defensive arms in my opinion.

I agree with VG here too. The Glock is the best defensive pistol design produced.

If it fails, and they do, it renders the gun inoperable.

And the XD will probably need to be sent in for factory repair.

TK
    (Glock Armorer)
    GSSF Range Officer

Sks985

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Slidell
    The 17 has crossed my mind. It would give me some extra money to upgrade the trigger and buy a holster.

And with my skill level I can't see the 17 holding me back compared to the 34.

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I'm not alone in this but I absolutely can not shoot a gun with a grip safety under stress (competition) every time. I had to disable them on every 1911 I've owned or shot. Some never have this issue but a lot of them have never really used their guns either. And this isn't just a training issue. When you grab your gun quick whether from a draw or table start, which both simulate real situations, you can not guarantee a perfect grip.

Sks985

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Slidell
    Thanks for all of the info so far!

I hate even the thought of joining the fan club, BUT I can see some Austrian tupperware in my future.

Now to decide between buying a 34 and shooting it stock for a while or going with a 17 with a few upgrades.

Any ideas for some upgrades that will keep me in production, and what brands you prefer?

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    The only thing you NEED IMO is sights. If its a competition gun go with a fiber optic front with an all black rear. Warren Sevigny's are the most popular and I used them on my 34 for over a year. Recently switched to the TTI (Taran Tactical Innovations) and I really like them. SS or tungsten guide rod along with a lighter recoil spring would be next. There is lots you can do with the trigger and you can make a nice difference for not much money. It would not hurt you to shoot the stock trigger for a while though. Grip tape or stippling will help also.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What he said. Sights and stippling, then shoot the gun and determine what else you "need" from there. I'd say drop the money for the 34. If you stick with shooting matches it won't take long to regret the 17 and wish you had a 34.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Thanks for all of the info so far!

I hate even the thought of joining the fan club, BUT I can see some Austrian tupperware in my future.

Now to decide between buying a 34 and shooting it stock for a while or going with a 17 with a few upgrades.

Any ideas for some upgrades that will keep me in production, and what brands you prefer?

I started with a 17 with some modifications and when I saw I would be shooting for a long time I got the 34 and love it. Sights are a must, I have the Taran Tactical fiber optic. I have done every thing else as far as internals and trigger that can be done and only have to stipple. I think you can go wrong with both but I'd say get the 34

jbr1074

Let 'er rip!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    South Eastern Lousiana
    What about the slides coming apart?

Why do none of the Glock fans ever discuss how often guide rods and slides fail on all gen glocks? For a maker that claims the best reliability on the market, I think the weapon disintegrating would be of importance. With that said- Go Springfield.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Describe Slide Failure? How many slides have you actually seen fail? Same for guide rod failure. I have actually seen a guide rod melt and drip out of the gun and the pistol continued to cycle. Outside of a Couple guys who grenades their guns reloads I have never seen a Glock Slide fail. Not ever. It's steel.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Why do none of the Glock fans ever discuss how often guide rods and slides fail on all gen glocks? For a maker that claims the best reliability on the market, I think the weapon disintegrating would be of importance. With that said- Go Springfield.

I've never seen this happen?

I like both Glocks and XD's, but I prefer M&P's personally. IMO, all three are great in general. I don't own an XD, but I have shot several. This has more to do with what I was able to get a good price on more than any preference I have.
    For the OP of the thread, and the intended purpose, I'd say get what's most comfortable in your hand. That's probably going to to be the better gun for you.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA

I would love to hear more about these slides coming apart.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

2 posts ever and this is one of them? I call shenanigans.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The XDm, with love, will be the easiest to shoot well. Even a decent trigger on them outshines the best Production-legal Glock set up I've ever fondled.

The G34 will run all day, and never give you headaches. It is notably better in this regard than the XDm-- I don't care how well your personal XD does indoors, slowfire, across the 1k rounds you've put through it since you bought it 5 years ago.

I'd personally get the G34, and I wouldn't even look at a Gen 3 anymore. All of the Gen 4 issues are ironed out, and the mag release alone makes them superior to the Gen 3. (Not to mention the backstrap options, which take a lot of the blockiness out of the Glocks.)

I put 50k through my G17 in a little over a year, and another 10k through it since then. Without question, I've seen at least half a million rounds fired through Glocks in the past 3 years, if not more-- and never a guide rod or slide failure. If such things were common, they'd be all over the Interwebz as an "in your face, Glock fanboi" type of thing at the very least. At present, the ONLY video of this nature that I'm aware of is the 1k round challenge where the guy melts the guide rod out at around 900 rounds, and the gun KEEPS WORKING without it.

SendITDownRange

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    My Town
    I agree with all of the above except the unmatched reliability...but that is an issue that can be debated back and forth from both sides. I would recommend that you (OP) see if you can find someone that sells both and put them next to each other and see which one you like better. One will feel better in your hand than the other.

Exactly. what works well for one may not suit the next try both out and see which works for you. I have a G34 love it and have no issues with reloads. I load fmj and chews them up like a champ.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom