Glock 43 OR S&W M&P Shield

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I'm thinking about grabbing a 43 next since I wanted a Shield in 9mm, and they were impossible to find in 2012. As a result, I ended up with a .40 S&W Shield, which had it's resale value drop worse than my Volkswagen's. Besides, I've owned Glock handguns since 1993, so I am kind of used to their triggers.

Jolly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Central Louisiana
    I know it's kind of a dumb way to look at it, but a carry handgun is all about defense and getting the heck out of whatever bad situation one finds themselves in. Most shootings happen very quickly, at fairly close distance. IMO, if you can't naturally point your weapon and hit something, you're shooting the wrong weapon.

Another thing...as somebody who has cut up more than one GSW victim, a lot of negating a threat depends upon multiple hits on target. A .22 LR in the hands of a good shot is more deadly than a .357 in the hands of somebody who can't hit the side of a barn. So...personally, I want to shoot a round I'm comfortable managing. For me, in a concealed carry sized gun, that boils down to either a 9x19 or .38spl+P.

Choosing between the weapons mentioned, I would carry the S&W Shield in 9mm. Why? For me, it points better, trigger is good, recoil is manageable and practice ammo is reasonably priced. Not to say the others aren't fine pistols, it's all in what fits the individual best.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Landed on a G43 deal too good to pass up. Its blue pricing with some goodies thrown my way, but short version is that I handed over my p3at and two benjamins for it. I molested and fired the G43, shield, and pps before deciding on the g43. Glock genuinely had the best trigger by a mile, and with the +1 baseplate (which is identical in size... how'd Glock screw that up?) I was pretty much sold. Handing over a gun that I haven't used in almost a year and am not particularly fond of was easy, but the trade-in plus blue price and I couldn't pass the deal up.

Goodbye Keltec, I've got a new "invisi-gun" - and it shoots bullets every time I pull the trigger... not every other or every third. Adios.

Last edited:

Northshoreboar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Madisonville
    I shot both and bought the Shield from interstate guns in Hammond on a great deal. Was recently stolen (long story) and am back in the market. For me, I was far more accurate with the Shield. The 43 seemed more snappy but the trigger was nicer. I chose the Shield bc of accuracy and price ($100 cheaper) but am considering the 43 this time. The 43 is smaller and the Shield is terribly difficult to load the mag. Crazy stiff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I ran across this thread and I'm in the same boat -- next time I'm in Hammond I may take a detour to Interstate Guns and feel them out.....

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The price of a NIB Shield has decreased approximately 20% since they were introduced. I do not see that happening with a G43 or any Glock .

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    I have a hard time justifying the price difference. They are both nice but I just don't know that the G43 is $100+ nicer. I'm in a similar predicament in that I can't decide between the XDs and the Shield. I like the feel of the Shield more but I can reach the controls on the XDs easier.

I'm in a similar predicament, also. I currently shoot a G19 and G23. I am looking for something smaller for EDC. I was going to jump on the G43 since that's all I ever shoot. However, my dad has a XDS-9 with less than 150rds that he's willing to sell me for $300. For those who've shot the 43 and XDS, is the 43 worth the extra $250?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'm in a similar predicament, also. I currently shoot a G19 and G23. I am looking for something smaller for EDC. I was going to jump on the G43 since that's all I ever shoot. However, my dad has a XDS-9 with less than 150rds that he's willing to sell me for $300. For those who've shot the 43 and XDS, is the 43 worth the extra $250?

I am not an XD/XDS fan but $300 is a good price for a like new XDS.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've had two shields, so I'll vote shield. I felt the g43's trigger was a little heavy compared to other glocks I do own.

Northshoreboar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Madisonville
    I was able to pocket carry my 43 today in a sticky holster. Very surprised as there was no way to pocket carry my Shield. I'm not a big guy and don't have large pockets. Actually seemed to fit better than my lcr snub nose 38. Definitely flatter without the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom