Glock 4th gen brass to face problem

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    Ok, here's my story. I acquired a 4th gen Glock 17 that functioned fine for the first 200 rounds with weak extraction but no stovepipes or brass to face problems. Then, it started to sporadically eject brass more at the 12 and 1 o'clock positions using the same ammo as before (wwb 115 grain 9mm). As such, I began experiencing the infamous brass to face phenomenon.

When using premium defense jhp (Winchester pdx1), the problem went away and the extraction was stronger. I then tried some federal champion 115 grain fmj, and the brass began dribbling out with the occasional brass to face again.

Annoyed, I ordered a lone wolf LCI extractor and swapped the original Glock one in hopes of rectifying the issue. However, the lone wolf part made the extraction worse than before with brass to face occurring about 3 times per magazine. So, I reinstalled the original Glock extractor that only burned my face once per mag.

My final attempt to fix Gaston's pistol is the Apex Failure Resistant Extractor kit. I waited 2 months for it to come back in stock and just ordered it. From what I have read, this should be the end of the extractor problems...hopefully. And I can finally know "glock perfection". Does anyone have experience with the Apex part? What are your opinions of this? Oh, I have the latest ejector btw.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I've heard upgrading the plunger and spring to an HRED helps as well, providing the extractor with more tension. I'd try that first before replacing the extractor. All of my gen 4 pistols run, so I have no personal experience with either upgrade, just seen it as a logical progression on some other forums.

Latest OEM parts > HRED > Apex Extractor > throw it in a river.

Apex makes great stuff though, and I'm sure it will only help.

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    More parts to buy? This thing is starting to become a money pit! Am I the only one having this problem on here? Btw, mine was built on Feb. 2012.

Last edited:

Pops 1

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Pollock Louisiana
    You
    are not the only one having this problem. I teach conceal carry classes and I have had two students in the last two weeks that are having that problem.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I have a G19 Gen 3 and when my wife shoots it she gets brass in the face . Her arms are shorter than mine , so it throws the brass over my right shoulder . Not by much though .

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I have a G19 Gen 3 and when my wife shoots it she gets brass in the face . Her arms are shorter than mine , so it throws the brass over my right shoulder . Not by much though .

Do you have the old 336 ejector or the new gen4. The number is stamped into the side of the ejector.

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    Well, if anyone is interested, Apex Tactical has their gen 4 and gen 3 Glock extractor kits in stock now. I waited 2 months checking everyday for it to come back in stock on their website. I'm just waiting for them to ship my order. If this doesn't fix the extraction to my liking, I may just send it back to the factory. Seriously, this is very frustrating. If this were a Taurus, I'd be less dissapointed and more understanding.

Top Bottom