Glock 9mm or HK VP9?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Fellas, I had the oppurtunity to shoot a glock for the first time the other day. I dont know what model, but it was a 40cal. And I was WAY more accurate and able to handle that pistol much better than my XD 5" tactical 45. My XD is a great pistol, I got it for a great price, but after the first shot, its very difficult to put consecutive rounds on target without re-adjusting my hold on the pistol. I seem to always have to re-grip, and extend back on target. Maybe its just the recoil of the 45 caliber?
    Anyways, I have been looking to move on to something in 9mm. Im by no means loyal to any manufacture. I love all guns. The VP9 has been on my mind since its release, and Ive fondled one a few times, but never had an opportunity to shoot one. And I only have the 1 Glock 40 cal to reference any other Glock to. Can you guys chime in and give experience, tips, and advice? My main purpose will be concealed carry/every day carry, plinking, and training.

I will be keeping the XD45 because I plan on adding a threaded barrel and suppressing it. I do alot of night time hunting with my PVS14, and the 45 will work well suppressed/subsonic as my secondary weapon.

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    I have Glocks and have shot them for years. Glocks aren't anything fancy, but they are solid as a rock and built to last. They aren't the most comfortable thing to shoot, but they do the job and do it very well. I just recently bought an HK VP9 and wow, I'm impressed. The trigger is better than a Glock, the ergonomics are definitely better, very accurate, and for the price, I think they are hard to beat. Some people may see it as a "con" but the mag release is located on the back side of the trigger guard on both sides of the trigger, but for me, it's nice and easier than the standard button. The only drawback I've found is that the magazines are EXPENSIVE and sometimes hard to find. If it is between the Glock and the HK, I would choose HK without a doubt.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    HK's are nice, but I'd go Glock all the way. You can't put a price on reliability when you're looking at your carry gun, and Glock's been proved at least hundreds of millions of times over. There are things you can do about the trigger pull. I'd recommend either an OEM (-) connector. That'll get the trigger pretty nice, and it's OEM so you know it's reliable.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I like both glock and hk's but at the same time the newer g19's tend to throw brass back at my face (I have a new g19 in gen3 and gen 4, and it's probably my 4th and 5th g19). As for HK, they just feel good in hand, but accessories are pricey

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    If you would like to try both the G19 and VP9, just let me know. We could meet up at the Woodworth range.

Both are great pistols.

Last edited:

Newgene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2015
    Waveland, MS
    If the goal is a CCW, the G26 conceals better than my XDS due to the shorter grip height. The G26 is the gun I always come back to no matter how many times I've had an itch to buy something new.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Don't forget to consider the price of mags. Glock's are much cheaper. Also, keep in mind that the G26 can take larger mags. I normally have a G19, but when I can't, I have a 26 on my ankle, and a 17-rd mag as a backup.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I have shot the .40 glock and the g19. I found the g19 more manageable. I shied away from glock pistols for a long time simply because they were popular and I am somewhat antisocial I guess, but eventually I looked at the facts (price, reliability, concelabiltity, not in that particular order) and bought a g19. no regrets.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    I know you were asking specifically about the G19 and VP9, before you buy go check out the Walther PPQ. It is the same size as a G19 and VP9 has a MUCH better trigger and the ergonomics/feel of the gun are just awesome. The mags are a little expensive ~$40 for 15 rounders but man is the gun awesome. Ive never owned a VP9 but have fired one in 9mm, ive owned 2 G19's, MP9, Sig P225, P228 and recently bought a PPQ. My PPQ 9 is by far the nicest overall compact that Ive personally ever owned or even handled for that matter. The cons to the PPQ are cost of mags and the selection of aftermarket sights is nowhere near what is available for the Glock, but Trijicon, 10-8 and I believe Ameriglo all offer sights for the PPQ, I am about to put a set of 10-8s on mine.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Glocks are probably the best value in a defensive package. They are reliable, relatively cheap, and work well. Simply put, they do everything you need at a cheap price.

HKs are arguably better in most areas except price.... but Glocks do everything you really need for less.

Nothing wrong with either.

madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Ive never had any experience with the PPQ. Only Walther I have is the P22. I know Glock has a huge aftermarket for accessories. But my main focus is a concealed holster, and non concealed holster and both must accommodate a light. I cannot stand a pistol without a light on it. I know I can always carry a separate flashlight, but thats another factor to deal with when its not attached to the weapon. So this will also add to my decision. I have a bladetech holster for my XD that is molded for a streamlight and I love that option.

Its awfully hard to fight in the dark without a light, lol.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    you're going to have a hard time finding a PPQ holster that is cut for a light.

you might still have some difficulty with the HK.

The glock will be no problem.

The HK and the glock are just as reliable as one another if you take care of your guns at all. I had a PPQ. I sold it. It didnt suit my needs.

The g19 is a little brickish, but it works. I dont own a VP9, put i do own a p30. My p30 is probably my favorite 9mm pistol.

Top Bottom