Glock G17 vs M&P 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr70895

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    New to hand guns and leaning towards the M&P 9mm due to the fact that it has a thumb safety. I know most folks hate thumb safety just not sure which gun is the better for home safety.
    The reason I am leaning towards a 9mm is ammo pricing and being new to handguns think I would be able to handle it a little better.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I would advise against getting one with a thumb safety. Comparing the two guns though they are both awesome. You will be well served with either. I like the angle of the grip of the Smith a little better, but the gen 4 Glock's are much better. They are both accurate and very reliable.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I moved from g17 to g19 to m&p9. Both platforms are great, I just happened to be better with the m&p. As to the thumb safety... I don't think anyone should rely on a safety. You are either safe with the gun or you aren't. I have had 3 m&p's, all with no safety. I also have two kids, but that should have no bearing on the decision to have a safety or not as they should have no access to them and it won't prevent much anyways if they got ahold of one of my guns.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    M&P9 no safeties would be my pick, but many prefer Glock. Shoot them both then choose. Thumb safeties are silly devices, don't pull the trigger unless you intend to destroy what is in front of your gun.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I have an M&P9MM 4.25" barrel. I really like it. I have shock Glock 19, 17, and 34 and they just aren't comfortable to me. If possible wrap your mitts around a few and send some rounds down range and go from there :)

Edit: And I prefer no safety. My safety is keeping my booger picker out of the trigger guard when it shouldn't be there.

Last edited:

DiggerP

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    New to hand guns and leaning towards the M&P 9mm due to the fact that it has a thumb safety. I know most folks hate thumb safety just not sure which gun is the better for home safety.
    The reason I am leaning towards a 9mm is ammo pricing and being new to handguns think I would be able to handle it a little better.

Hi Jr,

Have you gone to the local ranges and rented both? The range here allows you to rent very reasonably. I like Glock but I chose the MP9c just because it was a better fit for me. For whatever reason my eyes find the sights better and the feel was like a glove. I also found the Glocks occasionally spit brass back in my direction and it was just a confidence thing... might have been a fluke, but it happened.

Also, have you taken any training classes? The reason I ask is that, although I was brought up in a hunting family with rifles, I was completely baffled by hand guns in the beginning. The whole concept of no thumb safety was a bit frightening to me. I learned in short order that the fear was in my lack of knowledge and experience. There are some great classes all around LA.

Now, I don't want anything slowing me down in the event that I need a weapon to defend my life or that of my family. I am grateful every day that I'm not faced with that decision... but if I ever am I want every percentage odd in my favor.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    IMO, as a M&P guy, Glock wins.

The only reason I'm sticking with my M&P is because it's highly customized, and I wnt the M&P9 C.O.R.E. they just came out with, which Glock has no equal to, yet, OOTB. ...so sticking with the standardized gun.

Mostly they are indistinguishable for the most part with slight ergonomic differences that come down to personal taste. All the Pros/Cons column basically match perfectly, these days.

Aftermarket basic trigger improvement on a Glock is a 3.5lb connector which costs like... $20 tops, after shipping, maybe?
    Aftermarket trigger improvement on a M&P9 is a $90 package from Apex which I basically automatically add to the cost of any M&P I buy because I deem it necessary.

Mags are about the same price, though right now everything is nuts.

Been carrying my M&P9s for a few years now. I shoot the hell out of mine. Train often and use it for USPSA matches... good gun. Glocks too.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Should have waited to for a Glock ATOM slide. Gets the dot lower to the bore and is future optic capable. But I may be bias.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    IMHO manual safeties are cruches for the weak minded. The best and only safety is the one that is between your ears. Only put your finger on the trigger when you intend to shoot and only shoot what you intend to.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    As a matter of fact we will have a 35. It's our slide not a milled factory one but you will be able to see how it works the differences are cosmetic.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Should have waited to for a Glock ATOM slide. Gets the dot lower to the bore and is future optic capable. But I may be bias.
    That's still not out of my cards, yet - I'll have to see. Before I pull the trigger on a Core, I'm going to sit and do the math and the pros/cons and decide.

lol, my poor wallet, if I decide both columns should get a 'yes'

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    If you decide to go ATOM you have two options; send a slide to L&M and have it milled, they are doing a 2 week turnaround which is pretty spectacular, or buying one of our pre-milled slides. If you go to the pre-order and make a deposit on a slide you get a discount and you will have till April to squirrel up your cash. I like what S&W is trying to do with the CORE but I think ultimately it will be short lived. Here's why; they are marketing to gamers. Why would a guy shooting Open Class want a slide mounted reciprocating optic when he could have a stationary frame mounted optic? Secondly since its clear that in the near future dots on pistols will be as prevelant as dots on rifles the next generation of true pistol optics is already being created. If foot prints change S&W will have to constantly create new frames to keep up or give customers limited options.

Our option isn't cheaper but it's better.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The ATOM slide pre-order is a great deal. You get 5% off the slide, a free adapter plate and 20% off of any additional plates. We're also allowing slide customization options that won't be available when full production starts.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I put little stock in the people who pick a pistol because it "has a better grip angle" or "feels better."

Go put a few thousand rounds downrange and a gun will feel like it "fits" just fine.

Yeah, some with tiny hands might need a smaller frame (maybe a Shield or Kahr instead of Glock or a SIG). But "feels different" is apparently used pretty often as an excuse to buy a Kel-Tec instead of a real gun.

"Feels funny" is what happens when I drive my wife's car. It "feels different" from a big SUV -- for the first 10 miles.:rolleyes:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I'd buy one each. Can't really go wrong.... well maybe 2 each or 1 each and a G19 also.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I put little stock in the people who pick a pistol because it "has a better grip angle" or "feels better."

Go put a few thousand rounds downrange and a gun will feel like it "fits" just fine.

Yeah, some with tiny hands might need a smaller frame (maybe a Shield or Kahr instead of Glock or a SIG). But "feels different" is apparently used pretty often as an excuse to buy a Kel-Tec instead of a real gun.

"Feels funny" is what happens when I drive my wife's car. It "feels different" from a big SUV -- for the first 10 miles.:rolleyes:

:bravo:

With a caveat...

People who don't plan on really learning the mechanics and truly developing their skills are definitely better buying what they shoot better naturally.

That's the vast majority of gun owners, so I have to give credit to the advice in that regard. But it bugs me at times, too!

There are certain ergonomics worth discussing/deciding about... But for the average shooter, it's like discussing the merits of a daily driver with a kid that just got his learner's permit.

To the OP-- they are equally good, and equally bad. Try to shoot both and pick the one that gives you the best results.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    :bravo:

With a caveat...

People who don't plan on really learning the mechanics and truly developing their skills are definitely better buying what they shoot better naturally.

That's the vast majority of gun owners, so I have to give credit to the advice in that regard. But it bugs me at times, too!

There are certain ergonomics worth discussing/deciding about... But for the average shooter, it's like discussing the merits of a daily driver with a kid that just got his learner's permit.

To the OP-- they are equally good, and equally bad. Try to shoot both and pick the one that gives you the best results.

Very good points.

Top Bottom