Glock Gen4 questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Ok, so I recently acquired in trades, a glock 19 and 23, both gen 4 guns.

I understand the gen4 guns had issues, mainly with ejection.

I also understand that this has mainly been "fixed". Is there a serial range that has the "problems"???

The 19 is about 2 months old, and the 23 was made in jan of 2011.

I have not had a chance to shoot either. Is there anything I should pay attention to when shooting, or posibly any test I can run on the gun while shooting?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    They have a guy on here that lives out towards walker la. His name escapes me atm but he had a bunch of information on part numbers that gock is sending replacements out for. He helped me get my ejector for my 17 as well as a few others on the site since he is a certified glock armorer.

The new electors are thicker with a slight twist and the rear spring assembly is the other thing they changed. Looking at my 17 now the ejector is numbered 30274 the rear spring assembly is marked
    024 the 17 and 19 might have the same ejector but I am a little fuzzy about the rsa a quick google search should provide you with everything you need though.

Last edited:

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I've got a question for you Steve. Is it really questioning Glock's reliability or is it just something that shouldn't happen? As far as I am concerned the gun goes bang every time, right (I wasn't there obviously)? If that is the case then it is just an issue of it doing something that it really shouldn't but doesn't really affect the overall reliability of the weapon. Or am I way off track with that thinking?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I don't think so I haven't had a problem with my glock though.

To be honest though without sounding like a glock fan boi your wearing safety glasses when practicing and maybe a hat as well as ear muffs etc. In a self defense situation I can't see anyone being concerned with brass hitting them in there unprotected face even if it hits them in the eye I think they would be more concerned with someone shooting back or follow up shots. Adrenaline makes for good tunnel vision on more than one level. A gun that goes bang everytime like booseman suggest would be a top priority.

Thinking of guys shooting compact .45 all day don't get rid of their gun because they are sore after shooting or training with it. They bought it to conceal carry as long it goes bang is really the only concern with a weapon.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    OK, so the main issue will be with questionable ejection. I read somewhere that the recoil spring assy can have some sort of undersirable effect? Maybe that was just with certain ammo.

In any case the g19 is only a few months old, so it should have the updated parts in it.

The 23 is the older gun, so I will have to test it out.

I will report back with finidings, should be able to shoot them both next weekend.

Thanks for the info, and thread jacking is just fine with me, regardless of the topic! All info is good info!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Improper ejection (ie throwing brass into your face) IS definitely a problem, especially on a carry gun. There's no excuse for it.

That said my Gen 4 Glocks with the updated parts all run fine. And I've hear the same from many others. If someone had to catch a bad one, it of course had to be LSP. That's what he gets for slumming.

firearmsnovice

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Bossier City
    I have the G35 in gen 4 configuration, .40 S&W and i have shot 2 competitions with it and very often in just plinking around and i have not had one problem, works just like a glock should!

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    After changing the length and the angle with a hard Arkansas stone, it isn't as bad... but still present on an intermittent basis. IOW... unsat for my purposes. The gun does function, however... so I guess that's something...

Let me know how much you want for that stinky old Glock if you want to sell it!!!! I got a birthday coming real soon and my wife has asked me what I want. :exnbp:

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    This is a generation THREE gun... I want no part of the gen 4s with their wonky recoil spring assemblies, etc. They way I understand it, any Gen 3 made prior to late 2010/early 2011 should be okay. I thought this was an OD frame piece, therefore it would have been made before all the changes. The seller made an effort to meet me, so I felt honor bound to complete the deal. It was my fault for thinking the gun was an OD example.

I've whittled on the ejector some, and am bringing my stone along when I try it tomorrow in case I need to do some more. I have several old complete connector housings w/ejector, so if I grind too much of that puppy it won't matter. I understand that both the ejector assembly AND the extractor have been changed by Glock (several times) in an effort to cure this. I'll get it working well enough for a stash piece, if nothing else. Its just annoying to have to make that effort...

So what did Glock change on the current production gen 3 guns? I "get" potential issues with the gen 4 pistols, as there are several major parts (frame, trigger bar, recoil spring) that have changed significantly. But what parts/manufacturing process did they alter on current production gen 3 guns? It seems like swapping in a known good recoil spring, extractor and connector housing should make it work properly, shouldn't it? Have you compared the your new gen 3 to an older model part-by-part? I'm infinitely curious what exactly they changed and managed to screw up.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I don't think so I haven't had a problem with my glock though.

To be honest though without sounding like a glock fan boi your wearing safety glasses when practicing and maybe a hat as well as ear muffs etc. In a self defense situation I can't see anyone being concerned with brass hitting them in there unprotected face even if it hits them in the eye I think they would be more concerned with someone shooting back or follow up shots. Adrenaline makes for good tunnel vision on more than one level. A gun that goes bang everytime like booseman suggest would be a top priority.

Thinking of guys shooting compact .45 all day don't get rid of their gun because they are sore after shooting or training with it. They bought it to conceal carry as long it goes bang is really the only concern with a weapon.
    This is some of the silliest stuff I've ever heard. A piece of hot brass hitting you in the eye is not something to be concerned about?? ROTFLMAO :bowrofl: I wanna see that tested . My new gen 4 19 runs perfect round count 1200 counting 250 this morning.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    So what did Glock change on the current production gen 3 guns? I "get" potential issues with the gen 4 pistols, as there are several major parts (frame, trigger bar, recoil spring) that have changed significantly. But what parts/manufacturing process did they alter on current production gen 3 guns? It seems like swapping in a known good recoil spring, extractor and connector housing should make it work properly, shouldn't it? Have you compared the your new gen 3 to an older model part-by-part? I'm infinitely curious what exactly they changed and managed to screw up.

MIM extractor.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The connector housing/ejector too, IIRC. James?

The connector housing and ejector did not change on the standard frame Gen 3.

Try the extractor from one of your older Gen 3 pistols and see if the ejection changes. The newer extractors can be improved in some cases as well.

Forgot to mention you can get the new style ejector #30274 from Glock if you have an Armorer call in your serial number and explain the issue.

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    This is some of the silliest stuff I've ever heard. A piece of hot brass hitting you in the eye is not something to be concerned about?? ROTFLMAO :bowrofl: I wanna see that tested . My new gen 4 19 runs perfect round count 1200 counting 250 this morning.

Yup that's about right. I know it would be a concern but if I were to shoot at you or someone else I don't think you would care if the gun shot brass in your face. I was just being honest I have low standards when it comes to guns I guess if it goes bang and hits the target and can do it again I don't think I could complain.

Most of the time I see people post about brass hitting them from a glock most answer your holding it wrong or something to negate the fact that it could be the pistol because most of the time it's stance or hold or something else.

Idk though I'm just a dumbass saying it's not a problem for a gun to fire take what you want from my explanation it's just how I viewed the problem.

Top Bottom