glock guide rod fail....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eganx

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    was Monroe LA, now Kingston WA
    So I installed a new slide release lever today, for what ever reason it wasn't catching the slide after the last round was fired. Problem solved. So I go to remove the slide to inspect the lever one more time after checking for function. When take the slide off the guide rod assembly pops up a small amount, slightly unseated so to speak. I pull the guide rod assembly out to reinstall it and it comes apart, shooting one end of it across the room.

So I reassemble the guide rod with springs, and jut the pressure of the recoil spring pops the end back off.

Has anyone else experienced this problem??? Should I get an aftermarket guide rod??? Or is this one defective(leaning in this direction)???

I am going to call glock tomorrow and see if I can get it warrantied. I bought the pistol used from a BS member, but the round count in quite low judging by the ware on the pistol.

Just looking for any advise or experience with this issue or the like....

Dogman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    You would be well-served to replace the Glock captured guide rod/spring assembly with the non-captured Wolff assembly. It's made like the original Glock parts from back in the 1980's (before they adopted the captured system) but the guide rod is steel, not plastic. The only downside to the Wolff replacement is that the springs can be launched across the room when assembling/disassembling the gun if you don't pay attention to what you are doing.

I replaced the rod/spring assemblies in my G19s and G26 with Wolff assemblies long ago. The function is perfect, the springs seem to last forever and the rods will never break.

eganx

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    was Monroe LA, now Kingston WA
    I talked to glock, after explaining the issue the tech guys first words were..."Give me your name and address and we'll send another one out to you."

I'll run the factory guide rod, but probibly get another for a spare.

Needless to say I am quite pleased with their customer service.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I talked to glock, after explaining the issue the tech guys first words were..."Give me your name and address and we'll send another one out to you."

I'll run the factory guide rod, but probibly get another for a spare.

Needless to say I am quite pleased with their customer service.

That is the norm for Glock to replace parts on a new or used gun as needed to keep the consumer happy.

Dogman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    You do realize the captured guide rod/spring assembly is considered a "consumable" that needs to be replaced on occasions. It's surprising Glock would be willing to replace it. It's sorta like General Motors giving you oil and an oil filter every 3000 miles.

There are only two things I dislike about Glocks. The captured guide rod is one and the sights are the other. Luckily, it's simple to replace the guide rods and there are good choices for replacement sights. You actually CAN improve on "perfection".

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    Dawg23 on this board bought a USED Glock 19 - put 110,000 rounds through it - and had a partial seperation of the steel/plastic on one of the rails. The gun still worked.

He sent it to Glock and the sent him a new gun.

I don't think that Glocks are "the best" gun per se - but they are CERTAINLY the best value, and the point of diminishing returns. They also have exceptional customer service.

You can SPEND 2X as much, 3X as much, but you can't get a handgun 2 or 3 times better at any price.

I absolutely agree, great bang for the buck!lol.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Never had a stock Glock spring fail. Wore out one once. All parts fail eventually. Some parts are defective when brand new. No need to lose any sleep over any of it. For around $30 you can acquire a backup of the parts most likely to fail from wear or defect if you're worried about it or you just like being well prepared. ;)

The easiest setup for aftermarket rods/springs IMO is a captured steel guide rod from Lone Wolf with ISMI springs. Some people like Wolff springs. I have used them for stout 10mm loads that battered a stock Glock spring into submission. :D

Be aware that ISMI and Wolff springs take different diameter guide rods so purchase accordingly. FWIW, Wolff are round wire springs and the ISMI are flatwire, similar to Glock OEM.

Top Bottom