Glock Issue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • loewermx

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Alexandria, La
    I have a glock 36 that the slide locks open after every shot. I tried 3 different types of ammo, 2 different shooters, and 4 different mags. I tried different hands so I don't think it's my thumb hitting the slide lock.

Any thought?

peacemakr72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Glock

We had a friend with a glock 22 having the same issue. It was the timing. It went to a gunsmith and he did adjust the timing and it shot well. He got his
    money refunded from the seller anyway.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    If I ever have a problem with mine I just take it outside & drive some nails in a 2x4 with it. (loaded mag, nothing in the chamber, please, for ya chirrens sake.)

Really though, only done that a few times.

Sounds like the slide lock is jammed up, maybe with some funk...maybe its bass ackwards or something.

loewermx

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Alexandria, La
    I have never taken out the slide stop. I will completely and get it cleaned up. Just wanted to get some thoughts on what some of the problem might be

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    take the slide off. hold the frame right side up and pull up on the slide stop and let go. it should spring downwards. if it doesn't, it is installed wrong or the spring is bent

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Yup I am betting it is the slide stop. Like MikePizz said give that thing a wiggle if you don't feel any resistance it is the problem. Just from the sound of what is happening my money is on the slide stop. Good news quick and easy fix cost you a couple bucks and so easy a caveman could do it

Last edited:

ATSOFLA

Gunsmith for Sheepdogs
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Covington
    We had a friend with a glock 22 having the same issue. It was the timing. It went to a gunsmith and he did adjust the timing and it shot well. He got his
    money refunded from the seller anyway.

Good thing your buddy got his money back for the gun because the smith screwed him. There is no such thing as "timing" on a Glock. Can only be two issues: Operator error or bad stop/ improper install.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Good thing your buddy got his money back for the gun because the smith screwed him. There is no such thing as "timing" on a Glock. Can only be two issues: Operator error or bad stop/ improper install.

My guess is that the gunsmith used the word 'timing' as a generic term. Sure there is timing on a Glock...when firing the last round, the slide - magazine - slide release need to perform actions within a relatively short time period to lock the slide to the rear.

ATSOFLA

Gunsmith for Sheepdogs
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Covington
    My guess is that the gunsmith used the word 'timing' as a generic term. Sure there is timing on a Glock...when firing the last round, the slide - magazine - slide release need to perform actions within a relatively short time period to lock the slide to the rear.

Exactly;)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I have a glock 36 that the slide locks open after every shot. I tried 3 different types of ammo, 2 different shooters, and 4 different mags. I tried different hands so I don't think it's my thumb hitting the slide lock.

Any thought?

Can't help with your Glock issue, but would love to know where you got those different hands. I'd love to pick up a few extra pair.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm sorry let me paraphrase the GLOCK company's usual answer. Of course this would be in a heavy German accent.

The pistol is perfect. You are imperfect. If the pistol isn't working correctly it must be you. Quit shooting with a limp wrist or using reloads. If you whine enough we'll throw you another pistol which will also be perfect.

Thanks for your support,

Dave

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    On any other model, it would be almost definitely be an issue with the slide stop or it's installation.

But FWIW, the Glock 36 has a reputation for being more prone...much more prone...to these sorts of issues. YMMV.

Turn Key

Stuck up North
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    (Lever installed before Locking Block Pin)

take the slide off. hold the frame right side up and pull up on the slide stop and let go. it should spring downwards. if it doesn't, it is installed wrong or the spring is bent

This is part of the Glock Armorer pistol check and is described above correctly. Holding the polymer frame, slide off the gun, take your thumb and flip the 'slide stop lever UP and it should spring back down.'

I did find your problem described in my Armorer's manual and was covered under 'Slide Stop Lever Replacement.' page 56, 2009 Armorers Manual

** Insert the slide stop lever with the spring up and towards the front. Hold this lever horizontally and slide it into the recess just left of the trigger bar. The locking block pin must be in position before the slide stop lever is installed. If not, you will not have proper tension on the lever and this may lead to slide locking back prematurely when firing.

If the above is so, I recommend buying a new slide stop lever, they are cheap, you can take the opportunity to get the Lone Wolf slide stop.

Hope this has helped you with your G36.

TK

Top Bottom