Glock MOS - Who has one?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Is that just for the Trijicon RMR? I am planning to get one for my second 34 MOS. Both of my Burris Fastfire 3 sights mounted right up with the Glock with no problems.

It mounted right up, but the screws glock sends are too shallow that only a couple threads catch. Which would end up sending your RMR flying if you were to shoot with it extensively. I think it's an RMR issue, and mind you mine is about a year old, they may have rectified the issue. I sent someone else on the forum a set of screws, I don't remember who, but you can ask him since his was purchased later than mine.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    It mounted right up, but the screws glock sends are too shallow that only a couple threads catch. Which would end up sending your RMR flying if you were to shoot with it extensively. I think it's an RMR issue, and mind you mine is about a year old, they may have rectified the issue. I sent someone else on the forum a set of screws, I don't remember who, but you can ask him since his was purchased later than mine.

I had heard about the shorter screws. I was just curious. My Fastfire 3 on my 19 has several thousand rounds on it. Other than brass hitting the glass now and then I have had no issues. My Fastfire 3 on my 34 don't have quite as many rounds through it but no issues. For my second 34 I am wanting to try out the Trijicon RMR but have just not picked one up yet.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have Glock 17 MOS (probably one of the first ones that were available last year) and am running a Burris FFIII, but no co-witness on it currently which is an issue for me. I have been meaning to order the Dawson sights, but haven't yet (soon enough). From what I understand the FFII is lower and may actually co-witness with the trijicon tall suppressor sights (which I have), but then I'd have to remove the sight each time for battery changes (PITA). Don't know for sure but it anyone in Lafayette has a FFII we can play with it and try it one afternoon to get pictures for all.

Patrick

Attachments

• G17 MOS 1.jpg
      G17 MOS 1.jpg
      245.2 KB · Views: 73
    • G17 MOS.jpg
      G17 MOS.jpg
      238 KB · Views: 110

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Noob...
    What sights do you have have in the pics from the "Thread: RDS on a handgun: Who is doing it, what are you using, and how do you like it?" post?

On the 17/RM01?
    On the 19/RM06?

Are either of those MOS, or did you have them milled (or dovetail mounts)?

PS, Dave, check out that thread too. Some great pics from Noob there.

I have a Zev tech d17 with rmr 01
    Zev tech d19 with rmr 06
    Glock mos 34 with rmr 04
    Fnp tactical with rmr 04
    Glock 17 with Zev trilobyte slide with rmr 07
    M10/9 with rmr 04
    And I have a rmr 06 on the way with plans of using one of the sights as an offset sight on one of my rifles.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    6DF503A4-AA78-48A4-940D-A81E811E3362_zps0oigovtr.jpg

Zev tech trilobyte with rmr and Dawson mos co-witness sights. I plan to swap these sights onto my 34 mos since they are too tall for this gun

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    5B2BA8AD-C166-4C13-9E4E-A29C1BB9CC5B_zpszwsilij7.jpg

Zev tech d19 with rmr and ameriglo sights. Look at the shoulder of the Glock slide in reference to the rmr. Between this pic and the previous of the MOS you can see the mos mounts the Glock significantly higher than Zev tec mills their slide.

Hope that helps y'all

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    That is exactly the setup I would want. I dislike the sights taking up the small window.

I must say it looks better in the picture than it does in person. It is pushing the very bottom edge of the glass when looking through. To the point that it takes extra effort to shoot it that way. It's easier to just raise your head a little and go with just the dot centered in the glass and sights out of the picture. I like the sight picture on the Glock 19 which is similar to my fn tactical's sight picture also

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have Glock 17 MOS (probably one of the first ones that were available last year) and am running a Burris FFIII, but no co-witness on it currently which is an issue for me. I have been meaning to order the Dawson sights, but haven't yet (soon enough). From what I understand the FFII is lower and may actually co-witness with the trijicon tall suppressor sights (which I have), but then I'd have to remove the sight each time for battery changes (PITA). Don't know for sure but it anyone in Lafayette has a FFII we can play with it and try it one afternoon to get pictures for all.

Patrick
    Too bad you aren't in nola. I have a ff2 on my ruger 22/45 I would let you play with.

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    G19-%20RMR%20-%20Ameriglo%20tall%20sights.jpeg

Just installed the Ameriglo tall, flat black set, and it is exactly what I was looking for.
    Tried to add the image via DB file link. If it didn't work, I'll upload later.

Summary:
    G19 MOS -> RMR RM06 -> Ameriglo Tall black set = enough of a back up sight should I ever need it, but not too much to take up too much real estate on my sight picture, and not bright where it might be distracting and pull my focus off of the RD.

DerpMeister

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Zachary
    J-Points are absolutely cheap lol

Money-wise, yes... you can get one from Amazon for slightly under $300.

Less-quality (in terms of durability on the slide, as long as you don't use it for a hammer) than others... nope. JPoints have been around longer than most everything else (RMRs, specifically). In fact, JPoint clones were the first RDS Trijicon ever marketed. I had two of those, along with an RMR02, on three different G19s, since 2008. One of the JPoint/Trijicons and the RMR02 finally puked earlier this year. The other JPoint/Trijicon clone is still working just fine, and in fact I carry it now because my vision has deteriorated to the point of iron sights- big ones- being useless to me past ten yards.

The JPoint "screen" is a bit larger than RMRs; i.e., easier to see through. They are lower in profile than anything else I have tried, which makes them excellent for concealed carry (I'll throw a pic of mine here, with its milled slide, later this evening if anyone is interested).

I have been messing around with this concept for eight years. I never could convince myself to carry any of those three pistols for any length of time, because I simply did not trust them in terms of long-time durability. I'd shoot them a while, then put them up, then shoot them some more. Finally, those two died within a week of each other. And a few months later, diabetes, brain cancer, and just flat getting old trashed my vision to the point that iron sights, at any distance, are simply unusable for me now.

Basically, the red dot sight is THE answer to "old man eyes", or almost any other vision impairment regarding iron sights. The learning curve is not long, but is indeed rather steep... especially when drawing the pistol at speed for a defensive- or competitive- situation. You aren't likely to get comfortable with after only a couple of hundred rounds, unless you're just playing.

But the thing to remember is this... NONE of these holograph red dots are solidly durable. They fail; some sooner than others, but they fail. The tubular red dots, like the AimPoints, are pretty much bullet proof. But they are HUGE compared to the holograph offerings. While there are some folks who actually do carry a pistol with a AimPoint H-1 or T-1 on the slide, you won't see very many of those characters... especially concealed. The JPoint, OTOH, carries quite nicely. All I had to do was modify my IWB kydex holster a bit- just raise the pistol up in it a half inch, which Kee accomplished by adjusting the belt clip down a bit on a new holster- and it carries just as easy as a regular sighted pistol. On THAT subject, our own RMHolsters here in Baton Rouge makes THE best IWB kydex carry holster, period, in my book. He can do what he calls "The Steve Campbell Special" for just about any decent carry pistol.

Point being, there's more to just the pistol and its optic if you plan to carry concealed.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Money-wise, yes... you can get one from Amazon for slightly under $300.

Less-quality (in terms of durability on the slide, as long as you don't use it for a hammer) than others... nope. JPoints have been around longer than most everything else (RMRs, specifically). In fact, JPoint clones were the first RDS Trijicon ever marketed. I had two of those, along with an RMR02, on three different G19s, since 2008. One of the JPoint/Trijicons and the RMR02 finally puked earlier this year. The other JPoint/Trijicon clone is still working just fine, and in fact I carry it now because my vision has deteriorated to the point of iron sights- big ones- being useless to me past ten yards.

The JPoint "screen" is a bit larger than RMRs; i.e., easier to see through. They are lower in profile than anything else I have tried, which makes them excellent for concealed carry (I'll throw a pic of mine here, with its milled slide, later this evening if anyone is interested).

I have been messing around with this concept for eight years. I never could convince myself to carry any of those three pistols for any length of time, because I simply did not trust them in terms of long-time durability. I'd shoot them a while, then put them up, then shoot them some more. Finally, those two died within a week of each other. And a few months later, diabetes, brain cancer, and just flat getting old trashed my vision to the point that iron sights, at any distance, are simply unusable for me now.

Basically, the red dot sight is THE answer to "old man eyes", or almost any other vision impairment regarding iron sights. The learning curve is not long, but is indeed rather steep... especially when drawing the pistol at speed for a defensive- or competitive- situation. You aren't likely to get comfortable with after only a couple of hundred rounds, unless you're just playing.

But the thing to remember is this... NONE of these holograph red dots are solidly durable. They fail; some sooner than others, but they fail. The tubular red dots, like the AimPoints, are pretty much bullet proof. But they are HUGE compared to the holograph offerings. While there are some folks who actually do carry a pistol with a AimPoint H-1 or T-1 on the slide, you won't see very many of those characters... especially concealed. The JPoint, OTOH, carries quite nicely. All I had to do was modify my IWB kydex holster a bit- just raise the pistol up in it a half inch, which Kee accomplished by adjusting the belt clip down a bit on a new holster- and it carries just as easy as a regular sighted pistol. On THAT subject, our own RMHolsters here in Baton Rouge makes THE best IWB kydex carry holster, period, in my book. He can do what he calls "The Steve Campbell Special" for just about any decent carry pistol.

Point being, there's more to just the pistol and its optic if you plan to carry concealed.

I respect your opinion on everything you just typed except the holsters. I'll keep using what I use.

JR1572

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    On THAT subject, our own RMHolsters here in Baton Rouge makes THE best IWB kydex carry holster, period, in my book.

I'm glad you said "in my book," because there is nothing about an RM Holster that makes me want one.

Regardless, Raven Eidolon holsters clear RDS and I make my own kydex holsters.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    i have a 40 MOS 10MM. i love the gun but not overly impressed with the optic milling. They didnt go deep enough fo a good co witness setup. Do not get a Leupold Deltapoint pro for an MOS. you wont even be able to use suppressor sights on an MOS.

DerpMeister

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Zachary
    Regardless, Raven Eidolon holsters clear RDS...

I suppose so. But the ones I have seen don't even come close to hiding the printability of the pistol butt like the RMH LoRider does. They are almost a straight drop, like an AIWB holster. Unless you have massive shoulders and a REAL skinny waist, a service-type pistol's butt is going to print quite easily under anything but an arctic parka when carried at the hip. Dunno, perhaps its angle can be adjusted- it must have a dozen parts/screws/etc., so I guess that's possible.

Anyway, as always, everybody is different... and what works for some doesn't have a chance with others. Bottom line is, anyone with half a clue and some actual experience can figure all that out on their own. The real issue with carrying an RDS pistol is learning how to change your grip and draw so you won't be hunting the dot during presentation.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    i have a 40 MOS 10MM. i love the gun but not overly impressed with the optic milling. They didnt go deep enough fo a good co witness setup. Do not get a Leupold Deltapoint pro for an MOS. you wont even be able to use suppressor sights on an MOS.

They milled it deep enough, but instead of making it for 1 system. They made it to be "universal" so it requires adapter plates which raise sight height. My FN uses the same type of system, but their sights are VERY tall to compensate for that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom