Glock Opinions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Hey guys, I need some opinions on some Glocks. I am thinking about getting my brother a handgun for Christmas. He has owned a pistol before but has VERY little shooting behind a handgun.

My question is should I get him the Glock 17 or the Glock 20. I know the 17 would probably be more manageable for him because of the very little shooting of handguns. The only reason I am thinking about the 20 is we do a lot of hunting. I don't think he would actually use it to hunt, but just a back up if he couldn't get his rifle/bow up fast enough. The 10mm is better for hunting and he could still use is for home protection/personal defense, but I don't know how he would be able to manage the recoil.

Any information/opinions would be great.

Thanks,
    Craig

hoghunter54

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Westlake,la.
    if it seems to be a hard decision.Just look up ammo prices for 10mm and then look at 9mm.
    I'm betting he will be the new owner of a G17 soon.

To me a G20 is like owning a 500 SW.Nice to look at.Fun to shoot 5 times,after that,it seems
    to just sit and stare at you !

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    G17, no question about it. I would get him the G19 if he wanted to CCW it, other wise there is no reason not to get the full frame (IMHO).

10MM is going to be too expensive to shoot, the frame is bigger and heavier, and too much recoil for a beginner if you shoot full-power loads.

I got a G20 only because I hunt and and have a family home in bear country... I wanted something just in case I walked up on one going through our garbage or something. Truth be told I'm pretty sure I could get several well aimed shots off with my G17 for each shot with the G20... but it sure is fun to shoot!

Aaron

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA

this, probably the best all around handgun in the world. ive owned a few 17's and a 23, but i just put one down on layaway the other day and should pick it up at the end of the week.

probably gonna keep this one, it fits in my hand much better than the 17

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Anything the 17 can do, the 19 can do better, including using the bigger magazines.

I prefaced what I said with "IMHO", because I just KNEW someone would come and troll me on that... but to explain

In my opinion:

The G17 feels better balanced than the G19
    The G17 grip is slightly longer so the edge of my hand isn't coming off the end.
    Yes, I realize that I could get a grip extension, then use G17 mags, but then why wouldn't you just get the G17?
    G17 holds 2 more rounds, without having the magazine not fill fully or without using a grip extension.
    G17 has a longer sight radius.

Yes, I own G19 and G17. I love and use them both, but for me it's choosing the right tool for the job.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    G17 without question. Have both, carried both, shot the hell out both. 17 is 1/3rd the cost to shoot and is more fun.
    The 19 is for people with smaller hands than me.

Gunnut80

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Livingston
    A G17 is a fine choice for your brother. I've owned two of them and sold them both along with my G21, G24, and G27, but no one could talk me out of my G20. I carry it anytime I'm kayaking, camping, fishing, hunting in hog country, four wheeling, boating, etc. I always have to laugh when I read all the over exaggerated statements about recoil, mostly from people that have never shot one. I reload some pretty stout loads and carry Buffalo Bore, Corbon bonded core, and Double Tap for personal defence and even with those loads recoil is extremely manageable along with follow up shots. As far as factory ammo cost, you might spend a couple bucks more than you would pay for a box of 45ACP and can be purchased at Acadamy Sports.
    This is strictly my opinion, but if you're looking for a "fun" pistol to shoot there are better options out there than a G17. If you're looking for a powerful threat eliminator for the home or in the field MY choice is the G20 or G29 hands down.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I started out with a G17 in 1993 or so, then traded it for a G20. I also had a G23, G27, and a Glock 32C at once upon a time. Currently my Glock arsenal consists of a 19, 21, and 26 with the 21 being around the longest, since 1997.

With all that written, I'd suggest having your brother hold a few of the other handguns in his hand to see if he likes how they feel in his hand and get a feel for the trigger pull if the shop will let you. My main experience prior to purchasing my first Glock 17 was with 1911s, and I always shot about 3" too low due to the different grip angle. I've since corrected that, but that is a potential negative if your brother is used to something else. I'd also recommend having him hold the Smith and Wesson M&P Series and the Springfield XD series just to see if he likes the feel/pointing/trigger/ergonomics of them better than a Block, I mean Glock. I'd advise against letting him hold a Sig or H&K, unless you love your brother a lot and want to purchase a more expensive handgun as a gift.:rofl:

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I've owned both, and prefer the G17 for everyday/truck use. If it's needing to be concealed, G19 all the way.

With a +2, I'm carrying 20 rounds of +P JHP in my 17, which is more than enough to get myself out of trouble.

Gunnut80

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Livingston
    Good thinking, I bought about four different pistols off the site for my wife, but when I brought them home she hated the feel so they ended up in my collection. I finally brought her to a gunshow and she held quite a few and left with a G17.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom