Glock/SIG/XD/M&P

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evan632

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Jefferson
    I already have a Beretta PX4 Storm, and I would like to get a secondary weapon for the girlfriend at home..

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    OK, but that doesn't really answer my question. DO you feel there is a NEED for those features for safety? Is it for commonality of training? Why?

There really should be no NEED for them, that is why I asked. You may be unnecessarily limiting your options. Also, if your only or most of your experience is with a Beretta, especially a PX4, you may making your judgments off the wrong criteria.

Just offering some food for thought. Unless you have children running around the house and are looking for a physical safety as a stop-gap until they are old enough to learn, I do not ever see a "need" for those3 features.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    take her to a store with a lot of options and let her pick it out. she has to be comfortable with it AND MOST IMPORTANTLY be able to operate it. however, if its for home only....I would suggest 12ga shotgun.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    Just offering some food for thought. Unless you have children running around the house and are looking for a physical safety as a stop-gap until they are old enough to learn, I do not ever see a "need" for those3 features.

Good call. The best safety is a brain, and some training.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Is there even a pistol on that list that has a manual safety and decocker? I suppose there might be a Sig model out there...

And add me to the list of "why"; just two more things to have to train on.

If you demand these options, I'd go with an FNP-- probably 9mm, if it's for your lady friend. You can carry/bedside the pistol in Condition 1, much like a 1911. The thumb safety doubles as a decocker. Although I suspect if you're that concerned with the feature, Cocked and Locked is not something you'd be comfortable with...

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    For some folks it just gives them peace of mind. Trainig or no training,that little lever sometimes sets them at ease...especially for the novice.

The sad thing is, especially for a novice, those same features that give them "peace of mind" require more training to operate efficiently.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    If you really want/need a pistol with a safety decocker,and if you're on a budget (I shouldn't assume that),try out the Ruger SR9. I have the compact version and it will go toe to toe with my XD and is one of the most comfortable American made 9mm pistols in the market today.;)

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Is there even a pistol on that list that has a manual safety and decocker? I suppose there might be a Sig model out there...

And add me to the list of "why"; just two more things to have to train on.

If you demand these options, I'd go with an FNP-- probably 9mm, if it's for your lady friend. You can carry/bedside the pistol in Condition 1, much like a 1911. The thumb safety doubles as a decocker. Although I suspect if you're that concerned with the feature, Cocked and Locked is not something you'd be comfortable with...

You can purchase an M&P with a thumb safety option. Once again look at Ruger and FN as well.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Wether you like them or not manual safeties will always be an issue or a moot point. I tend to lean to the latter point. My wife will not personally own a handgun without it,hence she doesn't shoot revolvers. I've trained her how to manipulate a gun flawlessly with a safety and anything else other than that is foreign to her. She's not a gun person but she knows her gun very well and that's a good thing. Safeties are niether bad or good,it's personal preference and if you choose to have one,then learn it like the back of your hand.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mike_717
    Top Bottom