Glock - Tried it, Didn't Like it

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    All this Glock talk makes me want to go shoot mine. Thankfully I have never shot a Sig or HK or Highpoint to realize that what I have is a gun of marginal quality. :)

If I had to pick two guns, one for fun and one to carry. I'd still carry my Glock, but I'd have any form of HK for fun. I've been tempted to pick up a HK45 Compact Tactical after putting a hundred rounds or so through a buddies. I just can't justify it since I won't carry it (or maybe I will :D)

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Glocks have caused many people a lot of grief. A few years back, I owned one of each model available. Now all have been sold.

The younger folks grew up seeing Glocks and thinking they have to be good or else would not be used by law enforcement.

Well, they are being used by LE because they are sold due to being the lowest bidder. Many departments have left the Glock. One dept I know of has several officers injured due to the lack of a manual safety among other things.

The Glock is a dependable sidearm but not a quality sidearm. They work.

Comparing them to a 1911 is not even close. The 1911 has been around over 100 years and still the same design. Glocks have been around about 30 yrs and has been through about five different changes. It still remains ergonomically incorrect. The Glock "Safe" trigger is still causing unwanted discharges.

Departments are faced with money shortages. Glocks selling for about $300 new in volume is easier to budget than $500+ for gunsmith made guns.

Still, buy what you want and can afford. If it works for you, good.
    If anyone is having 'unwanted discharges' from any firearm because of lack of manual safety, what is really lacking is proper control of said firearm.

OH and, you hear that JBP55? I I think you just got complimented on being a young whipper snapper.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If anyone is having 'unwanted discharges' from any firearm because of lack of manual safety, what is really lacking is proper control of said firearm.

OH and, you hear that JBP55? I I think you just got complimented on being a young whipper snapper.

My job had me traveling to foreign countries in 1963 and the first number of my age is 7 so I guess that makes me a young Buck. :cool:

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    For the record, I am neither a fanboy or hater for any weapon (well, maybe I am a 1911 fanboy, but I have been shooting it since I was 12, and am now in my 60's, so it is just familiar). I merely wanted to try something different, and didn't like the first impression I had of the Glock. On the other hand, I loved the BHP. I will continue my search for a smaller, more concealable firearm, and will likely try different Glock models as well as the 92F, P226, CZ-75 and others.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    For the record, I am neither a fanboy or hater for any weapon (well, maybe I am a 1911 fanboy, but I have been shooting it since I was 12, and am now in my 60's, so it is just familiar). I merely wanted to try something different, and didn't like the first impression I had of the Glock. On the other hand, I loved the BHP. I will continue my search for a smaller, more concealable firearm, and will likely try different Glock models as well as the 92F, P226, CZ-75 and others.

You may want to include a HK P2000 or HK VP to your list.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Glocks have caused many people a lot of grief. A few years back, I owned one of each model available. Now all have been sold.

The younger folks grew up seeing Glocks and thinking they have to be good or else would not be used by law enforcement.

Well, they are being used by LE because they are sold due to being the lowest bidder. Many departments have left the Glock. One dept I know of has several officers injured due to the lack of a manual safety among other things.

The Glock is a dependable sidearm but not a quality sidearm. They work.

Comparing them to a 1911 is not even close. The 1911 has been around over 100 years and still the same design. Glocks have been around about 30 yrs and has been through about five different changes. It still remains ergonomically incorrect. The Glock "Safe" trigger is still causing unwanted discharges.

Departments are faced with money shortages. Glocks selling for about $300 new in volume is easier to budget than $500+ for gunsmith made guns.

Still, buy what you want and can afford. If it works for you, good.

Lol, I have never ever seen a gun go off with out pulling the trigger, reminds me of black hawk down, when they were at chow with the m-16 saftey off and they told him saftey that wepon, and he strokes his trigger finger and says this is my saftey sir!!! Lol, heck revolvers don't have safteys and they have never went off without pulling the trigger. And yes 1911 has been around a lot long but not with out changes from the 1911 to the 1911 a1, to new recoil spring systems to make them more reliable on certain models, correct me if I'm wrong the most glock has changed in 30 years is texture, accessory rail and now a duel captured spring... Yes 1911 and glock are 2 diff animals, but I can say this, you bury a 1911 and glock or let it get wet and don't clean it for a week or 2 I promise the glock will pass with flying colors!!!! It's not pretty, it's not sexy, and it's not a Precsion firearm, but for the typical pistol range it is more than acceptable for the task, and more than reliable for the task, as far as I know more than 80% of law enforcement/gov still carry glock

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    If you do not understand how pistols work maybe you should just carry a big knife.

I understand how pistols work. Maybe you don't understand nor have yet to experience a kaBOOM in your seventy-something years.

This was a frequent occurrence with the one and only Glock I have ever owned. It didn't matter what brand ammo or whether that brand was a reload. It happened often enough that I didn't like shooting the gun because I didn't know why I could be shooting a smooth .40 cal round and suddenly it felt like I just pulled the trigger on a cannon. The last time I ever pulled the trigger on that pistol, the out of battery detonation was enough to leave the casing lodged in the breach, allowing me to see how the brass was blowing out above the feed ramp. So, I researched it and found out just how common of a problem it was....not isolated to Glocks, but the vast majority of reported incidents were Glock related.

Read up on it yourself. http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Or, if this was simply an attempt at comic relief at my expense, I can see the humor in it how it was worded, too. But, there is nothing funny about guns not working how you expect them to work.

dirty dan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I fired 2 Glocks...both felt like I was shooting with a brick. I believe that they're great firearms, but so are others. I'll stick with what's comfortable to me.

twentythree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2016
    Durham, NC
    Ditto Dan, I wanted to be in the G club, I think they are cool guns, they just don't work in my hand. H&K USP .45 Full Size for me please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom