*GONE*Ferrets (male & female)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SlidellArms

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Been in Slidell for 12 years
    We have decided we have too many pets and need to find a good home for our babies Zuess and Bella, we found out last night ferrets and tiny chihuahuas dont mix (Bella wants to eat him) :(

they are less than a yr old, think about 10 months, i will try and locate the paperwork, if youve never had ferrets before please do some research first, they require at the least 4 hrs of time out of their cage daily, which means you will be on poop patrol. They are very sweet (as far as ferrets go :mamoru:) and come to their names, though they do bite noses!

I have a 4 story cage for them, two beds, water and food containers, and they have always eaten marshalls brand food, its the most expensive and also the best for them.

Please call if youre interested

Kim
    985-641-9797

or

985-707-7506

Last edited:

SlidellArms

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    aww..sorry..id really like these to go together as they are best friends, i had a 3rd one that somehow got away recently so i understand, i wouldnt get rid of them but they are confined so much since i got the puppy its sad, and they deserve better.

Leethar

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a friend who fosters ferrets over in Tulsa, and I told her about your problem. She had some advice for you that might make it possible for you to keep them. Here's what she had to say:

"As someone who does a lot of ferret rescue and rehoming, I want to warn you that it can be very difficult finding a good home for ferrets. Most people have no idea what they need or even how they act. If you're already acquainted with them, and you already know their personalities, it would be so much better and easier on them if you were to keep them. This is probably an issue that can be solved with a little time and effort on your part...ferrets are not untrainable, but you have to know how.

If they are under a year (and biting noses), they are likely still in the nippy stage that all kits go through. This can be fixed pretty easily by scruffing them (picking them up by the excess skin at the back of the neck - don't worry, it doesn't hurt them) and telling them in a loud, firm voice "no." Then love on them and let them go after a moment. Every time they nip your nose (or go after the chihuahua), do this. If they persist, you can gently drag them along the ground by the scruff...it's how momma ferrets discipline their kits, and it gets the point across well. They should get it pretty easily.

And if they're attacking the chihuahua, they probably want to get a response. Ferrets are rough-housers. They play hard. So other animals (including human hands...) are often bitten harder than necessary. You have to teach them their limits. Whenever they get too rough, scruff and say "no." Alternatively, set up a carrier (not their cage!) for a "time out." Put them in it after scruffing for a maximum of 2 minutes...after that, they forget why they're being punished. A combination of all of these things can probably fix your issue with them being too rough on the chihuahua and the nose nipping!

And just a note: Marshall's is actually a pretty bad food. If you want to feed a ferret specific food, I'd recommend Zupreem, 8-in-1 Ultimate, or Totally Ferret...but there are a ton of great foods for kittens (cats and ferrets are both obligate carnivores and therefore have the same dietary requirements) that I use for my guys. Innova EVO, Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul, and Instinct, just to name a few. Marshall's also has fish in it, which makes their litter boxes smell pretty foul.

All of that said, I would really recommend you try to keep them. They're likely to wind up in a less-great home after the adoption is all said and done (and whose to say they won't be rehomed again to people who don't take care of them at all), and the problem you mentioned should be fixable. And in today's economy...who knows what could happen. If all else fails, just keep their playtime separate from the chihuahua, and everyone stays happy. Good luck with them, whatever you decide!"

SlidellArms

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    awww Leethar what a doll you are....this ideas are fantastic, ive never really scolded them lol only babied them, i will certainly try this before letting them go anywhere, we love them so very much, all i was envisioning were the vids from youtube of ferrets tearing apart squirrels and chicks and didnt want that to happen to the new baby. ALSO thanks for telling me about the food!!! I had no clue, i believed what the pet stores had said, and actually there was some warranty on the these marshalls ferrets which stated it would be void if they were not fed marshalls food ! Guess it was all about money.

thanks so much Leether youve been a tremendous help, and your friend too ! have a wonderful weekend im off to herd the zoo ! :D

Leethar

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    No problem at all. You sound like someone who is trying hard to be a responsible pet owner, so I'm glad we could help. There are a ton of ferrets out there up for adoption just because their owners didn't really know how to take care of them, so a little bit if information can help a lot.

Just supervise them carefully, and they should be fine. My friend also offered to give you her email address if you have any questions later, so pm me and I'll give it to you.

stbfireman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    hey how much are you asking for everything. ive had three growing up and now my 4y/o wants one and i dont beleve in getting just one everything needs a friend thanks

SlidellArms

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Sorry theyve been gone a long time ago...but there is a shop here in Slidell that usually has ferrets customers have returned, thats where i got one of my babies. St Tammany Pets is the name, its on Robert Blvd. down the street from us.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Antho88
    Top Bottom