Gonna get me a .40?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAJ1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    Well Im am gonna go ahead and get me a new pistol. I narrowed it down to a compact .40 but not sure of brand. I am wanting to stay around or under $500. I am looking at the Glock 27, Springfield XD, and Ruger SR40c and my friend has a taurus .40 that he likes but everything I read states they arent to good. Any opinions. Im not much of the pistol nut but I have done a lil research to help me out some but wanted some opinion. Its gonna be a used for protection, not necessarily concealed but to keep in vehicle and so on and the occasional range. Also my wife will probably shoot it as well.

Thanks for any input.

jjb5730

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Pierre Part
    Your probably gonna get a lot of the same.."pick the one that works for you" and I'll say the same...I've owned a Gen 3 and Gen 4 27 and neither was good for me...tried an XD 40 and 9...don't care for XDs period....my EDC and firearm of choice is my M&P 40c...wouldn't pick any other...but again..its what works for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Nothing wrong with a .40 most of my handguns are 40.
    If your planning on your wife getting comfortable with it as well most will strongly suggest you look into a 9mm.
    Glock, SpringfieldXD, Smith&WessonMP are all real good choices. Find a place where y'all both can try them out.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I like my Glock 23 .40 that I bought a 9mm Wolf conversion barrel for so I can shoot 9&40.

Heck I guess 357 sig too if I buy another conversion barrel.

Wow three guns in one:}

I like Dat me.

Just my 2 cents worth
    S.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I like my Glock 23 .40 that I bought a 9mm Wolf conversion barrel for so I can shoot 9&40.

Heck I guess 357 sig too if I buy another conversion barrel.

Wow three guns in one:}

Skinny, I asked about you at the lizard creek campground a few weeks ago, but the guy there didn't know what I was talking about; Gonna pass by it friday on the way to Tickfaw SP
    I like Dat me.

Just my 2 cents worth
    S.

CAJ1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    Should I buy new or used? Thought about going to BJ pawn shop. They have a big selection of guns. I guess my only problem with used is I dont really know what Im getting though

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Should I buy new or used? Thought about going to BJ pawn shop. They have a big selection of guns. I guess my only problem with used is I dont really know what Im getting though

I've purchased several used handguns from Pelican Pawn in Denham. Mike is a good guy who will treat you right. They are a site sponsor too. Buy with confidence

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I've been happy with every Glock and m&p that i've owned, I don't feel the urge or need to try anything else. I currently have a glock 27 to conceal, but am hoping to trade for either a g26 or m&p9c. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I keep a HiPoint .40 for the truck/range. It works fine, shoots accurate, is cheap enough that I don't care about it getting beat up and is heavy enough to use as a blunt force object. They get a bad rap but are decent for the price and allow me $ for other things.

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    I just want to throw it out there that the Ruger SR series have the thinnest grip. That characteristic may be appreciated by a female with smaller hands. Also, they absorb recoil very well. I have the sr9; and recoil is noticeably less than my glock 17. While I haven't shot the sr40, the internetz says it also has mild recoil. Something to consider if a female will be handling it one day.

CAJ1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    Thanks for all the opinions. Thanks S&W4me I will check on him also and see what he has. I know a lot of times the used guns are just as much as new but I am gonna go and check.

matt99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Shreveport
    You dont happen to be military, huh? S&W is offering a $50 rebate for military if you buy an M&P FS or C.

Also, I just got a SR9C from Lanbos armory for $380. The 40 was close.

And dont forget to look online for used police trade in Glocks. AIM Surplus had them for $389 today in (very good) condition.

Boudreaux

I B N AH DA
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    I carry a G27 and it works for me. So far it has gone bang everytime I have pulled the trigger. It is a snappy little piece, which will probably be the case with any sub-compact you choose in .40. My wife does not like it at all, she perfers the G23 or USP.

ctchap70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Fort Necessity La
    I bought a Ruger SR40 yesterday. I love it. It is very smooth shooter. The articles on the internet are correct in saying a mild recoil. Not much difference than the Ruger KP89 9mm I traded in on it. And the grip can be adjusted to flat or rounded on the back. It is a nice gun for the price. I paid $459.99

ctchap70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Fort Necessity La
    Forgot to mention that they had both the reg sr40 and the sr40c. Same price and about 1 inch shorter barrel and clip. I liked the reg one. The c isn't that much smaller.

CAJ1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    Yeah I got the Glock confused when researching. I want a pistol with a actual safety. Leaning towards the ruger but I found out there is a gun show coming up soon so I am gonna probably get one then.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Yeah I got the Glock confused when researching. I want a pistol with a actual safety. Leaning towards the ruger but I found out there is a gun show coming up soon so I am gonna probably get one then.

Glocks have 3 different safety's, a trigger safety in the trigger shoe, a drop safety in the trigger housing and a safety plunger in the slide.
    Maybe you are referring to an external safety like you would find on a 1911.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom