Gonna get me a .40?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The Best thing is to get out and handle the guns at a store. You never know what you are gonna like the feel of.

Handing them is good but finding someone that will let you shoot them is better. Precision rents a few pistols. How they feel is not my #1 priority.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Handing them is good but finding someone that will let you shoot them is better. Precision rents a few pistols. How they feel is not my #1 priority.

I agree. How they feel at the gun counter is a good start, but it's about 10% of the total equation IMO. For example the HK P30 absolutely melts in my hand. I mean like I thought it was gonna change my life. So I put some rounds through a couple and hated everything else about it. Meanwhile Glocks are like holding a brick but everything else about them just plain works for me.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez

Best advice yet. I always avoided glock cause I hate the way they feel. But I found I can shoot them accurately and naturally so that's what I carry now. I don't have to like how it feels.

CAJ1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    I am gonna go to the next gun show and actually hold one and get a feel for it. My n-law has a XD I am gonna shoot and a Glock. As of now I am leaning towards the Ruger. I have had ruger .22 and really like the way they feel and shoot.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I own a Glock 23 and as it's been said there's a definate difference shooting a 9mm and a .40 cal. The 40 is a snappy caliber. At the range I shoot a magazine or two of 40 then pull out my Berretta 92FS and shoot a box and a half of 9mm. If your wife is going to shoot it you might want to let her try a 40 out.

If you want a gun with an external safety at about $500, you might want to look at the Stoeger Couger. They are basically a Beretta. They're made in a plant in Turkey owned by Benelli which is owned by Beretta. Stoeger uses equipment from Beretta's factory. It has a safety similar to Beretta. Not polymer like Glock, etc but not that heavy. I know they make a model similar in size to the Glock 23, not sure if they make a Subcompact like the 27.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    I bought an SR40C a couple months ago at the gun show in Kenner and am VERY pleased with it. The safety switches easily and the recoil is not much worse than my 9mm's. I have to say I shoot it better than my Sig Pro or my Kahr CM9, but the Kahr is my newest addition. If you have the chance, shoot the Ruger. I LOVE the feel, and the flush fit magazine won't be affected by the potential AWB, as it holds 9 rounds. It also accepts the full sized SR40 magazine (15 rounds).

You won't be disappointed with the Ruger.

Best of luck in your decision.

BeerMan

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Best advice yet. I always avoided glock cause I hate the way they feel. But I found I can shoot them accurately and naturally so that's what I carry now. I don't have to like how it feels.
    I was in the same boat. First time I went to buy a glock, I wound up with something else because it didnt feel right, even the fullsize was too small. A couple years later I bought one anyway and put a grip sleeve on it and it fit and handled perfectly. Go figure, $8 worth of rubber made all the difference.

CAJ1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    Yeah the ruger has really got my attention right now. Although i have read good and bad about the taurus millenium pro. my friend has one and he likes it and i like what it has to offer.I have read the recoil on the ruger and taurus are not bad at all. I'm not crazy about the trigger on the s&w MP an I'm still looking at the XD. I have done a lot of research lately and through research and y'all's help I am prepared to hold one and make a decision.

csteffers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gonzales
    After owning glock and the m&p the m&p feels way better the trigger is a little better on the glock I find . Like others said get what feels right too you .

CAJ1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    Well just to update everyone. I ended up buying a Smith and Wesson Shield. I liked the way it felt very slim and lightweight. Now I just have to find some ammo.

CAJ1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    LOL! Well I couldnt find the shield at first. Went to Academy on Siegan and they told me good luck and that the Airline store didnt have them either. Then stopped at Jims and they didnt have one. Then stopped at Academy on Airline and there she sat. Evidently they are pretty popular guns.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    LOL! Well I couldnt find the shield at first. Went to Academy on Siegan and they told me good luck and that the Airline store didnt have them either. Then stopped at Jims and they didnt have one. Then stopped at Academy on Airline and there she sat. Evidently they are pretty popular guns.

Serves me right for not hitting up the Airline store.

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    I finally broke down and bought a 40 cal. Wow, I love it and the two stage trigger is sweet and allows for great accuracy! It's a Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro and I know plenty of people say they have problems with theirs but mine is a smooth and fun to shoot as anything! Becoming my best pistol to date! I got mine used at Gold n Gun in Gonzales for under $300.

......................bobby

Top Bottom