Good bolt action rimfire?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    How much distance do you have for practice? If you are limited most of the time to 100 yards or less, there isn't a whole lot to gain with the .17 HMR.

KajunKat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Lutcher, LA
    The first time you hit something with the .17HMR and it explodes you will never put it down. :D Accurate enough for a head shot on a squirrel at 100 yards (if you can get them to hold still long enough).:biglaugh:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    For bolt action 22lr this is on my way distant list.

11850.jpg

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    I had a Savage 93 in .17 HMR and it would rip a ragged hole in a bullseye consistently at 100 yards. Incredibly accurate and flat shooting to that distance! I have heard it shoots relatively flat to about 200 yards, but I never tried it over 100. The round is pretty sensitive to wind conditions, which I think made it a little more fun, but I think that's the main negative aspect of the .17. Ammo cost vs. .22 might also be something to think about.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I'd go with a .22, it has loads of different ammo available cheap.

I have a Norinco bolt that is a copy of a Winchester but I forget which. It is really accurate, looks really nice.

Most .22 bolts out there are quite reliable and good shooters.

stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Like others have said, CZ and Savage are good. Also check CDNN to see if they have any of those Winchester Wildcat imports left. Great gun for the price.

I have one( the winchester wildcat) and it is extremely accurate, the stock is a little small but it shoots very well especially with the federal auto match ammo.

I also have one of those Cabelas Savage specials with the fluted barrel and green target stock but its still in the box.

Last edited:

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I may be in the minority, but I found my A-Bolt .22 to be much less accurate than I expected it to be. I bought it a long time ago for use as a squirrel rifle, but it ended up getting shelved in favor of my 10/22. Granted, I have not shot it in while, but I did try at least 8 different types of ammo (including Green Tag and Federal Gold Medal) using an RWS 2x7 air rifle scope (that is now on the 10/22 heavy barrel). I've found my modified 10/22 to be much more accurate. My Marlin autoloader is also very accurate for a rifle with a removal barrel.

Heard good things about the Savage rifles lately though.

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    I've got a Henry Golden Boy 22lr that I really like to plink with. Very Accurate and the lever action is as smooth as any rifle I've ever held.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    Charlie

Top Bottom