Good central a/c units?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Our old York unit is done, and we're shopping around for new units. So far we've had quotes on an Amana ($5300 installed) and Lennox ($7100 installed). Our house is ~2,000sq ft, so we don't need some monster. Just wondering what you guys think are good units.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    carrier and trane are the only two i like. grandfather is residential contractor in the 250k to 1 mil range and he only uses them.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I'm in the service end of HVAC 20+ years

You go a long way to beat Rheem dollar for dollar, Rheem HP is a fine way to go unless you have nat gas, then 80% furnace and 13 seer condensor 10 year Parts and Labor Warranty don't take less

Trane and Lennox are good, I work on them as well, York is still a good choice too

BUT......do a lot of homework on your contractor, nice is good but capeable is more important

Look at a site called HVAC-Talk.Com they will talk to a home owner and are helpful

Any questions I can help with

Yrdawg56@Hotmail.com

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I'm in the service end of HVAC 20+ years

You go a long way to beat Rheem dollar for dollar, Rheem HP is a fine way to go unless you have nat gas, then 80% furnace and 13 seer condensor 10 year Parts and Labor Warranty don't take less

Trane and Lennox are good, I work on them as well, York is still a good choice too

BUT......do a lot of homework on your contractor, nice is good but capeable is more important

Look at a site called HVAC-Talk.Com they will talk to a home owner and are helpful

Any questions I can help with

Yrdawg56@Hotmail.com

I was not aware of the brand Rheem... at all... until now

We're looking at several contractors/businesses. We have more to come out for more estimates. I also appreciate the provided link, I'll check it out.

Appreciate all the replies. If anyone knows a business to use around Slidell that will cross state lines in to Picayune, I would appreciate that too.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Stay away from the ultra high end stuff, your main concern should be holding a comfortable temp and acceptable humidity level.....I like 50 60 % with a low 50 Dew Point

Contractor Contractor Contractor

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Rheem. A relative that does A/C work recommended them when I built my home 12 years ago. Very well pleased. :) Very much agree with yrdawg - A bad contractor can take a good effecient unit and screw it up with a poor installation. My brother learned this the hard way.

Last edited:

stickslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I am an a/c contractor, and here's my two bits.

If you intend to stay in the house for more than a few years you should look at the high end stuff! The benefits are more than just a lower utility bill, they include better humidity control, better air circulation, improved air filtration, and generally a higher comfort level. By the high end stuff I'm talking about 16 S.E.E.R and above.

There's not enough room here to properly explain. I can recommend a Slidell contractor and give you advice on what to look for etc. if you like.

Blew Bayou Air
    (985)543-0391

T-maggot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned American Standard. American Standard owns Trane. They are the same unit. Just painted a different color and Trane gets a more expensive name plate.

Ronald Welty A/C and Heating
    985-882-COOL(2665)
    Free estimates

jjh

hello???
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 25, 2007
    Covington, La
    I actually have a used ac unit for sale about a year old its a 14 seer 4 ton Ducane don't know if you might be interested but Id cut you a hell of a deal. Or if anyone else needs a unit.

T-maggot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    I can vouche for RFG Mechanical as well. Havong worked with (on the side) and seen the quality of work from this company, I would have no problem with them doing my work. Sami with RFG 985-788-4200.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I am an a/c contractor, and here's my two bits.

If you intend to stay in the house for more than a few years you should look at the high end stuff! The benefits are more than just a lower utility bill, they include better humidity control, better air circulation, improved air filtration, and generally a higher comfort level. By the high end stuff I'm talking about 16 S.E.E.R and above.

There's not enough room here to properly explain. I can recommend a Slidell contractor and give you advice on what to look for etc. if you like.

Blew Bayou Air
    (985)543-0391

If I recommended 16 seer it would need to be accompanied by a load calc and iron clad warranty parts and labor...it only takes one variable speed motor or other part to be declared not warranty, not our fault, any warranty glitch and all teh savings go out in repairs,

Warranty would have to cover performance as well, there are people installing hi seer stuff without a clue as to psychrometrics, air dynamics, load calcs......to name a few, they can make a very expensive mess

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Be careful and get a few bids.
    I have a trane unit that is running great now. Unfortunately, its oversized for the house. That causes its own set of problems (which eventually I'll close in the carport and it'll be the right size...).
    Anyway, the old owner upgraded to a 4 ton from a 3. They didn't change the line set between the units though. Two days after I moved in and kicked on the AC the pan overflowed... Mucho dinero later problem solved.

Pardon my rambling, but... be careful that the system you buy is appropriate to the house. There are some good AC guys out there (I like Burkhardt's personally) and some really crappy ones.

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Induce ( false load ) a small...( 4 " ) air duct, like a dryer hose into the return air, ( filter this air, no birds or rocks should get in ) that may give you more run time and solve the dehumid problem, don't spend a bunch, it might not be right. Try if first . If you can find somone who understands this principle you should be able to induce pre treated air, ( cooled and dryer ) into the return and solve the problem indefinently with a small unit made for this purpose. ( ERV by any number of names ) energy recovery ventilator

New constructon and higher seer ratings is a science, not like the old square footage concept. Hi seer will work, but not many people out there can make it happen.

For my $ at this time 13 seer is a good market for the common contractor and HO

BTW, your line set problem between 4 to 5 ton should not be a problem.... if you are running 3/8 and 1 1/8 you should be good to go....even 7/8 shouldn't be a problem

Some oil return issues happen with line set problems, but we are talking residential comfort cooling here......not much of an issue if every thing else with the install is like it should be.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I've not done any comparisons but my neighbor has a Lenox Signature. It is a TOP of the line system with humidity control and everything. I can stand next to the compressor while it's running and talk on the phone.

Top Bottom