Good driving roads, or routes/destinations for a day trip

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    This past October we took a trip to North Carolina and did about 120 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway and some other roads locals recommended, and came back spoiled to not only what Fall really looks like, but also what good roads are too!

Usually when we feel like taking a short cruise/drive from Denham we’ll go Hwy16/Hwy22 south to Port Vincent-French settlement-Maurepas and then circle back to 16 on Hwy 444 or 42.

Another of our favorites I discovered on a motorcycle site is New Roads to eat at Satterfield’s via River Rd/Hwy 415 - 30 miles or so through the cane fields along the river, enough curves and ridiculously good paving for such a low traffic rural road.

Natchez trace parkway is on the list to do also but that would be more of a whole weekend trip.

I’ve been down our usual routes so often that they’re getting a bit boring so I’m asking for suggestions for some good routes or trips around the baton rouge/central LA area or roads that spread outwards from there. Decent paving, low to medium traffic or at least abilities to pass for when you get stuck behind the inevitable tractor/minivan that always seems to show up to ruin a nice drive. Just something that you can make a nice afternoon or day trip of, a little spirited driving, maybe a good restaurant or something to see or do along the way wouldn’t hurt either. I’m also trying to spot some via google earth too.

What are some other good routes/destinations to make a day of or kill some time on a nice Saturday?
    If all else fails this weekend we might just hit the Satterfield’s path on to St. Francisville for the Myrtles for the dozenth time.
    Thanks for any input.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This past October we took a trip to North Carolina and did about 120 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway and some other roads locals recommended, and came back spoiled to not only what Fall really looks like, but also what good roads are too!

Usually when we feel like taking a short cruise/drive from Denham we’ll go Hwy16/Hwy22 south to Port Vincent-French settlement-Maurepas and then circle back to 16 on Hwy 444 or 42.

Another of our favorites I discovered on a motorcycle site is New Roads to eat at Satterfield’s via River Rd/Hwy 415 - 30 miles or so through the cane fields along the river, enough curves and ridiculously good paving for such a low traffic rural road.

Natchez trace parkway is on the list to do also but that would be more of a whole weekend trip.

I’ve been down our usual routes so often that they’re getting a bit boring so I’m asking for suggestions for some good routes or trips around the baton rouge/central LA area or roads that spread outwards from there. Decent paving, low to medium traffic or at least abilities to pass for when you get stuck behind the inevitable tractor/minivan that always seems to show up to ruin a nice drive. Just something that you can make a nice afternoon or day trip of, a little spirited driving, maybe a good restaurant or something to see or do along the way wouldn’t hurt either. I’m also trying to spot some via google earth too.

What are some other good routes/destinations to make a day of or kill some time on a nice Saturday?
    If all else fails this weekend we might just hit the Satterfield’s path on to St. Francisville for the Myrtles for the dozenth time.
    Thanks for any input.

Denham to 1-12 West to 1-10 South to Sorrento to HWY 70 over Mississippi River to 3127 East to 20 South to 307 East through Kraemer (it's like a whole other world down there), to 3199 to LA 1 back to Donaldsonville.

Natchez Trace Parkway from Natchez to I-20 is one of the prettiest drives I have ever been.

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    587 from Monticello MS down to Columbia MS, then 43 from Columbia MS down to 26 which will bring you to Bogalusa. I'm going off of memory, so check Google maps to verify, but we have rode this several times. Also check out Red Bluff on 587 about 15 miles north of Columbia (google "mississippi's little grand canyon"). TN and NC will definitely spoil you, we go there once a year, also want to add AR to our list this year. Sorry for being so short, hate typing on my phone.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Hwy 77 from Livonia to Plaquemine is nice. Can take the ferry back into ebr to continue down river road for free, it costs $1 to go the opposite way. You can do lunch in New Roads like you have been, or continue North and try the Audubon Bridge towards St. Francisville, there's some good riding up that way.

If you are only taking 22 from Denham to Maurepas and back, your missing the good parts. Take it all the way to Springfield, there's a big gas station there that has a awesome cake balls most of the time for a snack. Just GO SLOW in Killian, they are hard core.

Last edited:

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    Hwy 77 from Livonia to Plaquemine is nice. Can take the ferry back into ebr to continue down river road for free, it costs $1 to go the opposite way. You can do lunch in New Roads like you have been, or continue North and try the Audubon Bridge towards St. Francisville, there's some good riding up that way.

If you are only taking 22 from Denham to Maurepas and back, your missing the good parts. Take it all the way to Springfield, there's a big gas station there that has a awesome cake balls most of the time for a snack. Just GO SLOW in Killian, they are hard core.

Have they repaved 77? I thought I remembered it being ground up or really bad asphalt last time I went down it, but it has been a while.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Yep, I think while that bridge near Plaquemine was out last year they repaved it, it's nice. Even before it was only a short section South of 10 that was rough, maybe 2 or 3 miles.

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    Here is a pic taken near the BRP

And a pic from a plantation on river road

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, just relaxing my mind a little

Last edited:

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    You can also keep going past New Roads and take 15 up to Vidalia, then cross the river into Natchez, then take 61 back home or continue on to the Trace. There are several nice roads off of the Trace near Port Gibson that we have been on a few time, but I don't remember the names offhand.

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    70 south from Donaldsonville. Runs through Bayou Corne, Pierre Part, Belle River, and you pass along Lake Parlourde in Morgan City. Some beautiful bayous and waterways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    Also if you want to spend a day or two, take I-10 to Lafayette, 167 south to Abbeville, take 82 south, will run you through the marsh through a few wildlife refuges and can either go north on 27 to Lake Charles or stay west to Cameron to Holy Beach and Johnson Bayou and run the coast road along side the Gulf to Port Arthur Texas. Get your salt water license, string, and cast net and catch shrimp and craps in Rockefeller Refuge.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    It not really a day trip from Denham Springs, less than an hour, but I would suggest The Cabin Restaurant in Burnside. Haven't visited there in a couple of years, but I've always enjoyed it.
    http://www.thecabinrestaurant.com/

I volunteer each year with the Bike MS ride from Hammond to McComb. Always thought it would be a great ride on a motorcycle too. There's some stretches of the road that's not the best, but overall it's a pretty nice ride. Some hills,turns and scenery.
    This is a link to last year's route. http://www.mapmyride.com/us/hammond-la/louisiana-ms-bike-ride-day-one-hammond-t-route-6654818

Stopped at the rest stop in Slidell last weekend and picked up this brochure, Boudin Trail of St. Landry Parish. It's more than a day trip, more like a weekend trip. I might try this one weekend soon.
    http://cajuntravel.com/boudintrail/#p=1

Lake Charles promotes a trail too: http://www.visitlakecharles.org/restaurants-culinary/swla-boudin-trail/

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Watch La 22 from La 16 to Killian there are some curves that will get you. They wreck bikes almost every weekend from 16 & 22 to Whitehall. Air Med needs a LZ down there. I found a biker in a pasture a few years ago on 22 at 4am. He's paralyzed from just above the waist. Be safe and have fun.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    There's an area of Mississippi called red bluff. I don't know how I got there. But it took about 2 hours from Nola to there. I was driving my supra and Buddy was in his cobra.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also if you want to spend a day or two, take I-10 to Lafayette, 167 south to Abbeville, take 82 south, will run you through the marsh through a few wildlife refuges and can either go north on 27 to Lake Charles or stay west to Cameron to Holy Beach and Johnson Bayou and run the coast road along side the Gulf to Port Arthur Texas. Get your salt water license, string, and cast net and catch shrimp and craps in Rockefeller Refuge.

This. When I lived in New Iberia, the wife and I made numerous trips down Hwy 14 to Abbeville to Hwy 82 and rode to Cameron and crossed the ferry and then up 27 to Hackberry and Lake Charles. It's a great ride on 82. Marsh on both sides of the road through Rockefellar Refuge and into Cameron. We stopped and walked the nature trail at Sabine National Wildlife Refuge. If you go in March to April the Neotropical Migratory Song Birds may be stopping in the mulberry trees on the trail after crossing the Gulf of Mexico from South America. The trees will be filled with red, blue and yellow birds. It's quite a sight. In Lake Charles we stopped on near Lakeshore Drive on the lake at McFarlane's Celtic Pub for a Scotch Egg and a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. Then you can either take I-10 or go back on Hwy 14 to New Iberia.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    More of a weekend trip but I always liked driving the back roads around Black Creek.

Take I10 to Biloxi, turn north on hwy 49, drive about an hour to a little town called Brooklyn. Cross the bridge at Black Creek (stop in the canoe rental/ general store first), and enjoy the back roads. There's a great little gravel beach at Moody's Landing with a 6' deep swimming hole. The water is dark but clean (not enough to drink unfiltered but... ) and the fishing is good.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    How about Hwy.190 east to LA36 then on to the Honey Island shooting range. Spend the day there shooting then head back. Plenty of restaurants along the way for breakfast and/or lunch. Stop and check out Northlake Nature Center in Mandeville or the Big Branch NWR.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    North Georgia, Suches, and surrounding areas. All the fun of the Dragon, with little traffic, and hardly ever a cop.
    North Arkansas. Get lost in the Ozarks. Endless riding/driving.
    You're welcome.

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    You guys are awesome, I appreciate all the input. I'd like to add all these and the ones I know to Google earth as a collective map. If I ever find the time I'll be sure to share the link to it. Here's just a few snaps from our BRP trip
    F_zpsxbvckqyg.jpg

It seems like theres something to pull over for every 5 minutes. It makes 120 miles seem like 600. You hate to keep stopping but you'd hate to miss something.

d%2015_zpsxnsvxz0z.jpg

Tunnel echo at 7k RPM is LOUD!

B%206_zps9tbx3qrz.jpg

Top Bottom