Good Place to find MRE's at a reasonable price?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tate

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    It really depends on what's in the MRE. The average time is 4 years if stored at 60 degrees. There are much, much better alternatives to long term food storage both in terms of longevity and overall cost. Try the Augason Farms line from Sam's (online only, at least in Baton Rouge) or the Mountain House stuff they package in #10 cans (you can find them on Amazon). Freeze dried food lasts much longer than other means of preserving. The old MRE's used to have freeze dried food in them. I do not believe they do any more.

The following link can shed some more light on MRE shelf life:
    http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-shelf-life.html

If you're still set on buying MRE's then there's a link on the sidebar of that page where you can purchase the civilian versions. Be warned that rats and mice can and will find your stash of MRE's if you don't protect them well.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It really depends on what's in the MRE. The average time is 4 years if stored at 60 degrees. There are much, much better alternatives to long term food storage both in terms of longevity and overall cost. Try the Augason Farms line from Sam's (online only, at least in Baton Rouge) or the Mountain House stuff they package in #10 cans (you can find them on Amazon). Freeze dried food lasts much longer than other means of preserving. The old MRE's used to have freeze dried food in them. I do not believe they do any more.

The following link can shed some more light on MRE shelf life:
    http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-shelf-life.html

If you're still set on buying MRE's then there's a link on the sidebar of that page where you can purchase the civilian versions. Be warned that rats and mice can and will find your stash of MRE's if you don't protect them well.

We keep a few things stocked up that we use on a regular basis, things that last a long time (Wheat Berries) we have much more of. I can't say I have any MRE's, but we do have a few ready to eat things in a can (Pastas, soups) but not much, but when I buy I tend to buy by the flat. I have enough propane to cook daily for a month solid easy. I have stoves that run on gasoline, kerosene, denatured alcohol, coleman fuel, etc. Since I keep gallons of denatured alcohol around for making leather dyes, gallons of gas for outdoor power equipment I should be good for a while.

I keep things like white rice, red kidney beans, wheat berries (We grind our own flour to make bread, pizza, etc.) canned veggies around. These items are available dirt cheap in large quantities and can sustain your family for a long time. We have berry bushes, orange trees, apple trees and throughout our family everyone has trees that produce something nearly year round. We also keep sugar (Don't use it much, just keep it), Honey (Use this a lot), salt, and dried spices and freeze dried veggies around for seasoning.

I also keep the freezer packed with meat. As much as I can fit in there. I keep it packed with chicken, Ground Beef, boston butts, roasts, etc. Good value meats that are staples. I know this won't last forever, but it will help.

MRE's are expensive, just wait for the next hurricane and get in line if that is what you want to use to prep. Besides, I swear they are designed to make you **** bricks.

Top Bottom