Goodyear fires an employee for being a competitive marksman

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    Not sure about the date's, Could have very well been during his tenure.

I believe that was before Jindal. Unless a gun in an employee's vehicle can be proven a threat to National Security (or something along those lines) by being on Company property they can prohibit it. Places like refineries, chemical plants, etc. fall under that category.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I believe that was before Jindal. Unless a gun in an employee's vehicle can be proven a threat to National Security (or something along those lines) by being on Company property they can prohibit it. Places like refineries, chemical plants, etc. fall under that category.

Employees at Entergy's Waterford 3 plant won the ability to carry when driving to work. Thats a Nuke plant.
    Security protocols change and it has been determined the site is more secure.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    "To clarify and correct some misinformation - Mr. Waters was not dismissed
    for being a shooter.
    Mr. Waters was dismissed for a violation of the company’s policy. The
    incident involved a firearm that had been brought onto company property.
    Mr. Waters is challenging the Company's action before the Australian Fair
    Work Commission, as is his right. As the matter is currently being examined
    by the AFWC, we are not able to make any further comments at this time."

Jennifer - Consumer Relations"You didn't have an appropriate selection for my concern. David Waters, an
    Australian Goodyear Employee, was recently fired. I have purchased 2 sets
    of Goodyear tires in the past but will no longer do so. The situation
    behind David Waters' termination is troubling. I don't know if this will
    even be read or past along but thought it was best to let my feelings be
    known. The online survey which was offered when I came to this website
    will reflect these feelings also." Me

As far "the law" goes, I side with private property rights on this one. Though I would side with the employee in protest of the company's policy in the hopes the company would allow firearms on their property.

This was in Australia?

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Although this has no bearing on the issue with our Aussie shooter it is worth reviewing Louisiana law.

Need to check out Louisiana law about a gun in your car, My company thought the same thing until it was pointed out they couldn't ban firearms in a personal ride.
    Here is a copy of the bill signed into law by Gov. Jindal on 02 July 2008 and became effective 15 August 2008.
    http://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=504213

Paragraph D has the exemptions. Check with your employers policy. If it isn't in line with the law then get them to change it. It's only your rights were dealing with here.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    If it isn't in line with the law then get them to change it. It's only your rights were dealing with here.

Ever argued with a brick wall? Believe me, I've seen the law. I may fall under D. (1) is one of the arguments I get. Honestly, there is only so far I want to go being the employee fighting to bring a gun on company property. I will advocate it, voice an opinion, but I'm not going to battle HR over it and become a target. Deep down I also feel the company should be able to tell me no if they chose, just as I should be able to tell someone not to bring a gun on my property if I so choose. I don't have a right to that job, I can go get another.

Top Bottom